lhilditch

Outer Banks
First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Ford Expedition Platinum
My BS OB is in transit to my dealership. Hoping to get in the next week or two. I have to make a decision about the Data DOT Theft Deterrent that my dealership charges $399 for. Any thoughts? Is it worth it? My thought is to not have it installed but do not know much about it so wanted to get other opinions.
Sponsored

BigPhatPaulie

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Had to honestly google it to see what it was. Kind of neat but it relies on A: the car being found and somehow all the vins are scratched and B: that the glass had all been changed as almost every car I've bought had etched sidewindows. Up to you but IMO I wouldn't

OP
OP

lhilditch

Outer Banks
First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape, Ford Expedition Platinum
Had to honestly google it to see what it was. Kind of neat but it relies on A: the car being found and somehow all the vins are scratched and B: that the glass had all been changed as almost every car I've bought had etched sidewindows. Up to you but IMO I wouldn't
Thank you. That is kind of my opinion as well.

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
Is it a "mandatory" option? If it is, seems like a dealer markup disguessed as a market adjustment.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
https://www.motorbiscuit.com/apple-airtag-gps-tracker-car/

I had to google the data dots too. It does kinda sound like the modern day version of glass etching (Which they still do of course).

I’m honestly just thinking about throwing an AirTag somewhere in the car as cheap enough insurance. Heck I should probably make my dog wear one just for the heck of it. I’d be about as broken up if she went missing as the car.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
No. If this is needed, you do not want the vehicle back. Your insurance coverage is all I would rely on. Also, in most cases, these add on benefits are offset by your insurer, even if you are told otherwise by the dealership.
I'll echo this, and it's a different time, but my 79 was jacked in 1992, local law neglected to tell people a ring was targeting the huge 4x4s and stripping them down to the bare essentials to create mud bogging monsters. They were parted out and raked down beyond any point of wanting them back. Never did find it or have any clue what happened beyond victim of theft. I'd agree...God forbid...if it's gone, start over.

Tigger

Heritage
First Name
Tigger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
My post deleted again. Weird. Repost.

No. If this is needed, you do not want the vehicle back. Your insurance coverage is all I would rely on. Also, in most cases, these add on benefits are offset by your insurer, even if you are told otherwise by the dealership.

Reactions: MJE

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
My post deleted again. Weird. Repost.

IT's the area 51... thankfully I had it captured, it did exist.
Ford Bronco Sport Data DOT Theft Deterrent download

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Sorry Tigger, we just dont like you very much... 😆

(please note, this is extreme sarcasm)
but everybody loves a tigger
Tiggers are wonderful things
Tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs
Their bouncey, trouncey, ouncey, pouncey
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I’m honestly just thinking about throwing an AirTag somewhere in the car as cheap enough insurance. Heck I should probably make my dog wear one just for the heck of it. I’d be about as broken up if she went missing as the car.
It wouldn’t be the first item I have protected by hiding an AirTag somewhere in/on it.

Reactions: MJE

Moltenburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL w prem, 360, shelf. VW Arteon
100% a scam by dealers. 400 for some easy to remove stickers? Nope.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
https://www.autofraudlegalcenter.com/info/auto-fraud/sale-of-mandatory-add-ons/

"Theft Deterrent Devices, Service Contracts Are Optional"

Of course, it's also possible that means the dealer won't sell you the car. But they're going to do everything, and I mean everything they can to sell it. They will tell you "too late, we put it on when the vehicle came off the carrier". They will say "all our vehicles have this". They will say "our insurance makes us put them on because of where we are located". All stuff I have had actual salespeople tell me. Everything and anything...

You can tell them, "OK, then take $400 off the msrp and sell me the stickers". Or you can ask for $400 in credit on service or accessories (get it in writing). Or you can simply refuse to buy it. I wouldn't but also consider the overall deal. If every other car has more than $400 in added costs, then one car payment might not be a deal breaker. But it is a scam in the truest sense of the word.

Deleted member 6599

Their going to try to sell you a million different things. Be strong and say no to everything. The rubber floor mats, wheel lock nuts, etc can be bought for a fraction of the cost of what they’ll sell it for from online places.
Sponsored