Rkers

Big Bend
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
How many of you actually go off-road, and what is the level of off-roading? I don't think I could take a new shiny vehicle through rocks and brush that scratch the crap out of it.

Do some of you just go camping/hunting/biking off the beaten path? Are there a lot of places that you don't risk tearing up a vehicle but true 4x4 really helps.

I'm interested in using a new vehicle for camping/fishing with the kids, but I am moving from a Ford Flex(just got totaled which is why I am looking) but not sure I can live with such a small vehicle, but thought if I actually utilized the roof and hitch racks it might be fun.

I am kind of down to either The BS, Explorer, or Ranger. Can people talk me into why the BS would be the best choice?
I do a lot of home improvement so I need a vehicle that I can haul tools/materials around. The wife has a Highlander, so that is basically an explorer.
While I really like my BS, I would not have bought it if I were going to be driving kids with it. There's not a lot of leg room for back seat passengers especially if you or kids were very tall. Otherwise it is great for commuting. Nimble, maneuverable, small footprint, great visibility and headlights are best I have ever had.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I was concerned about the small back seat so went to the dealer and drove an Outer Banks. I sat in the back seat its fine for me (5' 10"). However I would not want the BS if I had tall kids and was going to take long road trips.

A lot of dealers have demo vehicles in stock so call around and go look at one see if you like it.

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Only one that can convince you is yourself. There are many reviews on the BS as well as many posts on this forum. Go to a dealer and take a test drive. That would be a breakthrough idea!

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It's just a compact SUV that doesn't have a bubble or origami shape that also has some off road capability if wanted or needed. If you are a performance type of person, try the upper level 2.0 liter models, if you like an everyday runabout that can get decent fuel mileage try any of the 1.5 liter options.

Fritz Bay

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I do a lot of hiking with fire road starts in the mountains of AZ. I have a BL and have found the forward camera useful as well as the rubberized interior. Recently did a weekend in NM with 2 other folks. I'm 6'3". It did well for a thousand miles on highway and for camping off road. Don't have a roof rack yet, and it was getting full on the interior with gear. I got the BS after an interesting trip lost in a sandy wash on a ranch in my Silverado 2500 crewcab 4wd and barely avoiding mesquite. I needed something smaller than that. You may need something larger.

immortalwombat

First Edition
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
When my BS takes a hit I just think of how much fun I'm having.

Ford Bronco Sport Convince a city guy into a bronco sport 20210605_153449

Ford Bronco Sport Convince a city guy into a bronco sport 20210522_163940

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
For us, we always go to the trails and beach, we take 3tents, canopy air bed, lots of kites, food small grill etc and then use the hitch for the bike rack to haul 4bikes. I have not used the roof rack yet. [need to explore this option soon]
I can say that the back storage is small[er], i cannot fit what i used to have in my 2011 rav4, i had to reimagine the placement of all our stuff for our weekends drives to trails/beach.

but then again, i really love our bronco sport, it gets us nicely/comfortably to our destination, nice suspension and handling and mileage. I never worry about gasoline for 350-400miles.
I've only driven it on semi-rough roads and sand and beach side, lots of fun driving it with the other big trucks driving around too. So far I've got a lot of sand in it and mud/grit from melting snow from mountain pass, luckily no scratches yet :)

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
There will be many people who will want more than this baby Bronc was designed to give but buy one anyway. That's cool and a win win for Ford. Think of all the nice trade ins when the Real Bronco comes online.
I see many one or two year old Nicely equipped Bronco Sports with low miles on dealer lots for,
$5,000- $8,000 below MSRP. This will get many who cannot afford a new one Into one of these great Sport -Ute's.
Yes Ford will do very well on these two Vehicle groups, Selling some twice Is a Bonus.:p
Kudo's Ford !
Now, what's Next ?
A 4X4 camper Van !
An Affordable Re-Introduction of the GT 40 ?
Spanking the competition with the Maverick will be a hoot, Hopefully for less than the $39K entry fee for a nicely equipped Ranger.
$28,000 for a base model Maverick, In yer face Toyota !
My wife will kill me if I trade this in a year or 2 lol
Honestly though I think the big bronco might be wasted on me, some camping and better snow driving aside I won’t be putting my bronco to the test too much. Like some have said on here, I like the versatility and options I have with it, i would love to get my family into the rooftop tent. We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Sounds like ranger or maverick will be the way to go for you.

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
BS probably a wonderful compromise for you. I don’t know why you’d worry more about banging up a new BS than you would a Ranger or similar. Better mileage, truck like feel in the front row, plenty comfy for kids and short-haul adults in second row, and far more nimble handling than truck. Flexible cargo arrangements and roof rack along with opening rear glass (think 2x4x8’)is a bonus. And I know from long ago experience in Omaha that 4x4 would have been awfully nice as other cars were sliding down the intown hills!
Sponsored