Convince a city guy into a bronco sport

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
How many of you actually go off-road, and what is the level of off-roading? I don't think I could take a new shiny vehicle through rocks and brush that scratch the crap out of it.

Do some of you just go camping/hunting/biking off the beaten path? Are there a lot of places that you don't risk tearing up a vehicle but true 4x4 really helps.

I'm interested in using a new vehicle for camping/fishing with the kids, but I am moving from a Ford Flex(just got totaled which is why I am looking) but not sure I can live with such a small vehicle, but thought if I actually utilized the roof and hitch racks it might be fun.

I am kind of down to either The BS, Explorer, or Ranger. Can people talk me into why the BS would be the best choice?
I do a lot of home improvement so I need a vehicle that I can haul tools/materials around. The wife has a Highlander, so that is basically an explorer.
Sponsored

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
My outdoor activities is camping, hiking, and mountain biking, but want the badlands

Looks like you need a bigger car..if you have plans for hauling, get the ranger ..you can off road in that. Not fun to haul stuff with a suv that is limited in size..just an opinion

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Iā€™ve owned several SUVs in the past but never used them off road. Itā€™s not that I wouldnā€™t, itā€™s just not my thing.
What I like about vehicles like this is the extra space for camping, kayaks, bikes, etc and the 4WD. Personally I feel the Sport is a great size, esp if you live in the city. Easy to maneuver, easy to park, with room for ā€œstuffā€ and the ability to deal with weather. Thatā€™s why I ordered one.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid (order)
I am kind of down to either The BS, Explorer, or Ranger. Can people talk me into why the BS would be the best choice?
I do a lot of home improvement so I need a vehicle that I can haul tools/materials around. The wife has a Highlander, so that is basically an explorer.
Get a truck. Sounds like you'll need the bed.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I'm moving from a 2018 F150 to a BS....90% of my driving is in the city so gas mileage and ease of parking is what I'm after. We do kayak as well so that's not an issue. The AWD drive I had on my Flex and Explorer was way nicer than the "real" 4x4 on the f150. I'm a DIYer as well and if need be i'll just get a little trailer.

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
It all depends on how many kids and how much gear you'll be hauling around. I use my Expedition when I need the space and they are amazing off-road. A used Expedition can be a great deal if you need a lot of space (hauls up to 8) with plenty of space behind the third row (especially the EL version).

I'm loving my Bronco Sport Badlands in the week plus I've had it. It's not small but it's certainly not an Explorer (and definitely not an Expedition!). I haven't challenged it off-road yet but I can tell it will get where I need to go. Most places you go and need 4-wheel drive are not going to scratch your vehicle. Depending on where you go camping or fishing, you may or may not need 4 wheel drive. Just depends on where you're going.

Zolutar

Outer Banks
First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport OB+, 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid
The Sport is a good choice if you want to keep fuel efficiency in mind, the Ranger and Explorer both would have higher fuel consumption, but loads more Cargo room internally. But with the roof racks, you could easily get a cargo carrier or a small trailer for additional cargo space. I have a few friends with a VW Tiguan, and cargo was a big issue, but they easily compensated with the Thule box on the roof.

The Sport I feel is ideal for a weekend warrior, small and efficient for daily commuting, but more than capable for those weekend treks to the lake or the mountains, especially the more "off the beaten path" places where the off-road capabilities will be worth their mettle.

DesertRat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Colorado 4X4, 2021 Bronco Sport
You seem to be focused on your current activities, not what you might do. That is wise. I have hauled boards and stuff in small vehicles in the past. If you only load materials once or twice a year, then a truck is a waste. Delivery, neighbor, Home Depot pickup rental are all options. The Sport will be a good performer in the snow too. I really like ours.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
You seem to be focused on your current activities, not what you might do. That is wise. I have hauled boards and stuff in small vehicles in the past. If you only load materials once or twice a year, then a truck is a waste. Delivery, neighbor, Home Depot pickup rental are all options. The Sport will be a good performer in the snow too. I really like ours.
I agree. Iā€™ve never been a fan of trucks. They are really handy, but also really easy to rent for the one or two times per year I might need one.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I'm, 'Off Road' daily, as on my .3 mile gravel mountain road up and I do mean up to my house.
It can get very loose and is very steep.
14% grade in places. I need 4x4 for that alone. Also wanted 4x4 for my winter driving. Love that sure footed feel.
The AWD/4x4 and GOAT modes on my Base model Bronc are just right for me.
My Bronco Sport feels American made and Truck tuff not plastic car or oriental suv cheap.
Of course it's better than all the other sport Utes.
Ford purchased one of each, took them to the R&D department and simply said, "Make It Better".
The proof Is in my front yard.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Hmmm...my look at it, for camping, fishing etc. with 3-4 people and all of their gear, the Sport is going to be a little tight. 2 people I'd say fine. Hauling boards and stuff from the home store, no way. ON THE OTHER hand, what's that towing feature FOR anyway? Like the other guy said, get a trailer for that! The Sport is ideal for me and my stuff daily, me, the missus and our stuff on the weekends -- easily. Depending on the type of excursion -- go with 4 people and a large roof rack and you would be all-set. Too large (expensive waste) or too small (a daily pain), I've made both mistakes. Get a Sport with a rack and trailer (you can park that and the rack until needed), that's the ticket!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
There will be many people who will want more than this baby Bronc was designed to give but buy one anyway. That's cool and a win win for Ford. Think of all the nice trade ins when the Real Bronco comes online.
I see many one or two year old Nicely equipped Bronco Sports with low miles on dealer lots for,
$5,000- $8,000 below MSRP. This will get many who cannot afford a new one Into one of these great Sport -Ute's.
Yes Ford will do very well on these two Vehicle groups, Selling some twice Is a Bonus.:p
Kudo's Ford !
Now, what's Next ?
A 4X4 camper Van !
An Affordable Re-Introduction of the GT 40 ?
Spanking the competition with the Maverick will be a hoot, Hopefully for less than the $39K entry fee for a nicely equipped Ranger.
$28,000 for a base model Maverick, In yer face Toyota !

Last edited:

Kokopelli

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport, FJ Cruiser, Yamaha Kodiak
Itā€™s all youā€™ll ever need and the wife loves it. In fact in our case itā€™s actually hers...

Maxwellian

Badlands
First Name
Maxwell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
The Bronco sport is definitely small, fitting in a compact parking space was a big need for me, and it has enough room for my needs. That said, a Honda CR-V has ten more cubic feet with the rear seats folded, six and a half more with all the seats up. RAV4 is more like +5 either way. Back seat is definitely cramped for adults on the BS.

Iā€™m not a serious off roader, but I would for sure tear the bumper off most new crossovers in many places Iā€™ve been, probably taking a trans cooler with it. Only other new compact options with a good approach angle I found were Jeeps and the Kia seltos.

if parking something bigger isnā€™t an issue, there are lots more options.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Have an '18 Escape now. Need something a little better at getting the canoes down the fire roads to the canoe launches. The Escape bottoms out and gets bogged down sometimes. Still most of my driving is on the road till the last mile or less. The Sport is a perfect combination of road/off road for what I need. From what you said about needing to haul stuff the Ranger might be a better choice.
Sponsored