pixlpush

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tern GSD Ebike (car free at the moment)
probably the best review I've seen. The photography is great and he hits everything I wanted to see. well done!

omahafordowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Flex
So the GOAT modes are just there for show? Best to not touch the dial and let the computer do the work?

Sparky

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Explorer Sport, 16 VW Beetle Convertible
I would have liked to see the difference if he tried to go up the slope in slippery.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
So the GOAT modes are just there for show? Best to not touch the dial and let the computer do the work?
They're not as awesome as marketing would have you believe. Auto mode in a lot of AWD systems takes too long to figure out terrain. The auto in the Sport is good enough that you usually don't need the different modes.

The modes will help out in very difficult terrain. Switching to snow/sand will help keep you from digging down. Rock mode will keep you from scrabbling tires on rocks.

So you can usually ignore them but they will make the performance slightly better.

A good channel to check out for testing various settings is this one:

https://youtube.com/c/EngineAdventures

EDIT: As a caviat, I've got a Cherokee and do use Low range Auto occasionally. Low range does a lot that the snow/sand modes attempt to mimic. He may be used to that in his 4 Runner.

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I would have liked to see the difference if he tried to go up the slope in slippery.
With the test he was doing, short of better winter tires, he wasn't going to make it up there without momentum.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I blame driver for not knowing how to drive in snow . I find most of these type videos try so hard to have issues , that they succeed , this is a best one than I have watched .

tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
With the test he was doing, short of better winter tires, he wasn't going to make it up there without momentum.
My reaction was pretty much the same. Nobody is saying the Baby Bronc is a 4Runner beater when it comes to offroading...but he didn't even give the BS a fighting chance. Starts up a steep icy incline in normal mode, comes to a dead stop in a foot of snow, and then switches modes and expects it to magically claw itself out. Even the 4Runner got stuck there without a run at it.

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
we enjoyed his review and has not changed my decision to order a BL, but im sticking with the road tires as that's where it will get used....

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Hi, did anybody else pick up on his comment on ‘Haas’ steering knuckles and other upgrades as a possible option ? Or is that somthing that comes with the extra off-road badlands suspension?

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
Hi, did anybody else pick up on his comment on ‘Haas’ steering knuckles and other upgrades as a possible option ? Or is that somthing that comes with the extra off-road badlands suspension?
I think he was referring to Ford's off road suspension : H.O.S.S; high speed, off road , suspension, system. That's included on every model, the BL gets extra goodies added with it, like special front dampers, and reinforced rear struts
Sponsored