Comparison between Crosstrek, Sport, and Cherokee

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I just ran Butcher Ranch Road up in the Sierras with my Cherokee Trailhawk, I'd previously ran it with my Crosstrek and thought I'd share my experience and how The Sport would likely handle the same trail.
Ford Bronco Sport Comparison between Crosstrek, Sport, and Cherokee PXL_20201212_170558385

The section of Butcher Ranch I ran is about two miles long, between a 8-15° slope and has around a half dozen easy technical sections. I ran this a month or so ago on a 2018 Crosstrek limited, 2.0 L, with added skidplates and Falken Wildpeak Trails. This section is about the limit you can do with a Crosstrek, it handles most of a fairly well but there's one technical that I had to take four or five runs at and use speed to get up with a lot of banging around and a little bit of luck. The part after this up to the Sierra Buttes is mostly a loose dirt road but it's a couple miles long, my Crosstrek CVT ended up overheating along it. This is when I decided to start looking for a new vehicle.

The Trailhawk drove up this like it was a rough road didn't have any trouble with any of it, as to be expected. I've actually locked it into low range 4x4 at the bottom of the hill and was in that the entire way. I think I locked up the rear diff maybe twice. The rest of the time I just used the different drive modes.

Now compare those two to the Sport even the base models should beat the Crosstrek going up this. I don't think they'd have as much problems going up this as the Crosstrek did with their more advanced drive modes, better tires, better engine, approach angle...ect. I doubt their regular transmissions would overheat at the long dirt climb either.

Now as for the Badlands versus the Trailhawk here's where they would differ. On the way up when I wanted to engage the differential lock I've got to stop, put the trailhawk in neutral, engage it, and continue. With the dual clutch the Badlands has you can just hit that while you're moving, climb over the technical, then disengage it when you get to the top without missing a beat which is one small advantage that system has. This is kind of perfect trail for it, you don't need to use a locking rear diff for most of it, just a few sections. So you don't need to worry about it overheating.

Now on the way down that's where your lower gear transfer case really shines. The Badlands would have to navigate basically the same way the Crosstrek did which is you ride your brake the whole way, they do have those hill descent modes but those are basically just automatically riding the brake for you. You can perfectly well make your way down the hill with that. With low range though, the only time I need to use my brake was going over the technical sections on the way back. It's a much, much better way to descend.

Overall I think the Bronco sits in a very nice spot.

Here's the full gallery if you want to see the kinds of stuff you can get up to in your new Sport in the Sierras.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/g2W2VnZLZyKq7653A
Sponsored

Last edited:

Elboy

Badlands
First Name
Elden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester
amazing post, and touched a bit on some of my unanswered questions. amazing view hope to get on that trail sometime!

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Certainly beautiful scenery and the detailed commentary was interesting and valuable!

Basically, I understand that the Sports should outperform the Crosstrek, and the Badlands be comparable to the Trailhawk, excepting the low-range transfer case for automated braking on the downhills.

OP
OP

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Certainly beautiful scenery and the detailed commentary was interesting and valuable!

Basically, I understand that the Sports should outperform the Crosstrek, and the Badlands be comparable to the Trailhawk, excepting the low-range transfer case for automated braking on the downhills.
Well low range is transfer case is used for more than that but for my purposes that's the biggest difference.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/adventure/advice/when-to-use-low-range-in-your-4x4-69074#:~:text=In 4L (four-wheel drive,more torque are the go.

The Badlands also comes with the tires I would have chosen for my Cherokee. Trailhawk comes with good tires they're just a little outdated.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Well low range is transfer case is used for more than that but for my purposes that's the biggest difference.

https://www.carsguide.com.au/adventure/advice/when-to-use-low-range-in-your-4x4-69074#:~:text=In 4L (four-wheel drive,more torque are the go.

The Badlands also comes with the tires I would have chosen for my Cherokee. Trailhawk comes with good tires they're just a little outdated.
Thanks. I'm familiar with low-range usage, I was just summarizing to ensure I understood your conclusions. That was very helpful and the photos made me want to get outside!

OP
OP

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Yeah Cherokee is longer but it's not usable space. The Bronco has a much better form. I do trust the V6 in the Trailhawk more tho...lotta problems with that ford turbo, as fun as it is.

Last edited:

Heyzeus

Big Bend
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Per this article the Ecoboost motors are just fine. The 1.5l 3cyl has few issues. The 2.0l has had a few but it’s been out for some time. So teething issues should be less. I had a Compass Trailhawk and traded for a big bend. The motor and tranny is much nicer in the Ford. It gets up and goes. The Jeep felt like I had to get out and push it. Granted that’s the 2.4L vs the 1.5l. The Jeep did have many little niggling problems. Stop start issues, anttanna getting ripped out, and radio and camera failure. I suspect the Ford should be better. It sure feels better!

https://www.cashcarsbuyer.com/ford-ecoboost-engine-problems/#

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I test drove the Compass For less than a mile. It felt cheap and the transmission was terrible. Yes It was warmed up.
It looked like every other SUV to me, dated.

Last edited:

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Does anyone have any other ideas for vehicles similar to the Bronco Sport in terms of capabilities?

It’s been hard waiting for the Bronco Sport and hearing of the delays.

DesertRat

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Chevy Colorado 4X4, 2021 Bronco Sport
I have to disagree with you on the downhill technique. Put the trans in M and use the paddle shifters to shift down and use gear 1 or 2 to hold you back. I briefly tried the Ford trail control feature the other day at it works great. I will try to use it again today to get a better idea on how it controls the brakes and the gears on a downhill run.

OP
OP

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Does anyone have any other ideas for vehicles similar to the Bronco Sport in terms of capabilities?

It’s been hard waiting for the Bronco Sport and hearing of the delays.
It depends on which version you're talking about. If you're talking non-badlands, there's a lot of competition. If you're talking Badlands, it sort of sits in-between most of the field and a Cherokee Trailhawk.

In order to give recommendations we'd need to know what you're looking to do with the vehicle.

Also, if you like the Bronco Sport I'd wait for it to come out.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I have to disagree with you on the downhill technique. Put the trans in M and use the paddle shifters to shift down and use gear 1 or 2 to hold you back. I briefly tried the Ford trail control feature the other day at it works great. I will try to use it again today to get a better idea on how it controls the brakes and the gears on a downhill run.
It's not really about technique it's just a feature missing from the Badlands.

Without a low range gear you're going to be using the breaks a lot more. You also can't climb as slowly up obstacles.

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
It depends on which version you're talking about. If you're talking non-badlands, there's a lot of competition. If you're talking Badlands, it sort of sits in-between most of the field and a Cherokee Trailhawk.

In order to give recommendations we'd need to know what you're looking to do with the vehicle.

Also, if you like the Bronco Sport I'd wait for it to come out.
I am considering all versions of Bronco Sport but I would like a Badlands. I was looking at the Cherokee Trailhawk and it doesn't seem too reliable.

OP
OP

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I am considering all versions of Bronco Sport but I would like a Badlands. I was looking at the Cherokee Trailhawk and it doesn't seem too reliable.
Yeah, honestly if you don't need the low range or rear locker, it's not going to be one of the recommended CUVs.
Sponsored