thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
We traveled up to Ticonderoga from Schenectady tonight and I found something interesting. I thought at first I was mistakenly tapping the Cruise Set [+] and [-] keys . I would go Around a turn and suddenly the set cruise speed would change and be set to higher speed. Sometimes it was 20+ miles faster than what was set .

Then I got to a straight-away and I noticed it was happening the the posted speed limit changes, and the Speed Sign Detection would update the posted speed in the cluster. IF i set the speed to 40 MPH and the limit was 45, then changed to 55, the set speed would jump to 62MPH.

It did not have any effect when the same speed sign would show as the last one, only when a change in posted speed limit would change.

I done remember if this happened before today. I was in ECO mode, and switched to standard mode. No change
I power cycled the engine, no change.

The amount the set speed changed was inconsistent, however it happens at every posted speed change while I was using adaptive cruise.

This seems dangerous. I wonder if there is a firmware update or recall on this.
Sponsored

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
We traveled up to Ticonderoga from Schenectady tonight and I found something interesting. I thought at first I was mistakenly tapping the Cruise Set [+] and [-] keys . I would go Around a turn and suddenly the set cruise speed would change and be set to higher speed. Sometimes it was 20+ miles faster than what was set .

Then I got to a straight-away and I noticed it was happening the the posted speed limit changes, and the Speed Sign Detection would update the posted speed in the cluster. IF i set the speed to 40 MPH and the limit was 45, then changed to 55, the set speed would jump to 62MPH.

It did not have any effect when the same speed sign would show as the last one, only when a change in posted speed limit would change.

I done remember if this happened before today. I was in ECO mode, and switched to standard mode. No change
I power cycled the engine, no change.

The amount the set speed changed was inconsistent, however it happens at every posted speed change while I was using adaptive cruise.

This seems dangerous. I wonder if there is a firmware update or recall on this.
With the Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control you tell the system what tolerance above the posted speed you want to set it for. If you set it for a tolerance of +10, then when it detects a speed limit sign of 50 it will set the IACC of the vehicle to 60. If you don't want this feature then make sure that the IACC isn't selected under cruise control and that the Adaptive Cruise Control (or standard cruise control) is. The cruise control settings are under Settings and then Driver Aids on the Sync 3 screen.

Last edited:
OP
OP

thesavo

Outer Banks
First Name
savo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Edge SEL, 2014 Patriot, 2021 Bronco Sport OB
I thought those tolerances set the threshold of when the speed signs flash based on how much over the limit the speed is set. So it's looking at the tolerance and increasing the vehicle set speed based on that when the posted speeds change?
Short story, feature, not a bug?

I'll have to re read that section of the manual.

Last edited:

Whitenight

Badlands
First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport 2022 Maverick Lariat Deluxe
I thought those tolerances set the threshold of when the speed signs flash base on how much over the limit the speed is set. So it's looking at the tolerance and increasing the vehicle set speed base on that when the posted speeds change?
Short story, feature, not a bug?

No it doesn't change the speed limit sign flashing on the dashboard, the tolerance setting is how much above the speed limit sign it will set the cruise control speed to be. You can then manually change the speed, either up or down, while driving after the IACC changes your speed from the speed limit sign. If you set a tolerance of +10 then it will set the cruise control for 65 after reading a speed limit sign of 55. Likewise it will set the cruise control speed to 35 after reading a speed limit sign of 25.

I have mine set for a tolerance of +5 so I can raise it while on the highway but not go nuts on local roads.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Here's what it says:

Intelligent adaptive cruise control combines speed sign recognition with adaptive cruise control to adjust the cruise set speed to the speed limit detected by the speed sign recognition system. For example, if the speed sign recognition system detects a 50 mph (80 km/h) speed limit, the cruise set speed is updated to 50 mph (80 km/h) +/- the driver's selected speed offset.
Sponsored