Paradocks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Hyundai Tucson Hybrid
Hi guys,

I'm looking at replacing my Hyundai Tucson with a Bronco Sport in the near future. The Tucson has all the excitement of warmed over oatmeal, and I want to move into something a bit more stylish and capable. One of the perks of my Tucson which I have come to enjoy is the adaptive cruise control with lane following assist. This is different than lane keeping assist; lane following actually keeps the car centered in the lane and will automatically steer into curves. It's not full on self driving, but it is very capable on those long highway trips and helps prevent driving fatigue.

Does the BS with the available Copilot 360+ have the same lane following capability. I see that it has lane centering, but does it actually steer itself around shallow curves on the highway?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Yes, Co-pilot 360+ includes a lane centering feature that aggressively steers the car around curves. Keep in mind, however, that Ford's implementation is equally aggressive in demanding the driver keep their hands on the steering wheel. If the systems doesn't sense you making steering inputs for a relatively short period of time (15 seconds I believe) it will starting bitching. If you don't respond appropriately after the bitching it simply turns lane centering off. Resting your hand on the steering wheel isn't sufficient for the system sensors; you must actively steer the car.

In my mind, this implementation kinda makes lane centering a bit of a PITA. I find myself having to constantly steer AGAINST the system to make it sense my inputs.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I prefer to use my wife as my co-pilot. I know she bitches too sometimes about my driving. But if I’m handing the wheel off to another driver, it’s going to be another human.

OP
OP
Paradocks

Paradocks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, Co-pilot 360+ includes a lane centering feature that aggressively steers the car around curves. Keep in mind, however, that Ford's implementation is equally aggressive in demanding the driver keep their hands on the steering wheel. If the systems doesn't sense you making steering inputs for a relatively short period of time (15 seconds I believe) it will starting bitching. If you don't respond appropriately after the bitching it simply turns lane centering off. Resting your hand on the steering wheel isn't sufficient for the system sensors; you must actively steer the car.

In my mind, this implementation kinda makes lane centering a bit of a PITA. I find myself having to constantly steer AGAINST the system to make it sense my inputs.
Yeah, the Tucson has the same nag, but I can rest my hands loosely on the steering wheel and kind of allow it to move my hands as it steers. The one thing it does not do is handle moderate to sharp curves. Then I have to aggressively override the system and steer it myself, else I'd go over the side of the road. But for those monotonous straight highways that go on for dozens of miles it is very convenient.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But for those monotonous straight highways that go on for dozens of miles it is very convenient.
Agreed. My wife actually loves, loves, loves this feature. My gripe is most prevalent on two-lane roads. The constant back-and-forth tug of war between me and the system can be a bit unnerving with oncoming traffic closing at over 100mph combined speed.

Last edited:

OP
OP
Paradocks

Paradocks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I prefer to use my wife as my co-pilot. I know she bitches too sometimes about my driving. But if I’m handing the wheel off to another driver, it’s going to be another human.
Haha...my roommate has a constant death grip on the "oh crap" handle above his seat, so I know all about front seat copilots.

SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I find that when the system bugs me about keeping my hands on the wheel, I just give steering wheel a very slight movement and the system shuts up.

SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haha...my roommate has a constant death grip on the "oh crap" handle above his seat, so I know all about front seat copilots.
We call it the "Holy Shit Handle" up here.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
It tracks well as long as it can see the marked lane edges, do it tends to disengage on tight turns cresting a hill. I doubt many would encounter this, I was testing it on a hilly winding road to learn the limits.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I find it also tends to disengage at lane merges which we seem to have way too many of around here. There are multiple ways to use the lane centering. There is a switch on the end of the stalk to have it on at "all times" i.e. when the car is going fast enough or on just when the cruise is operating or just off and not used. I think you can also revert the entire car to traditional cruise control but I don't know why someone would.

Overall the adaptive cruise system is excellent and really one of the best available features on the vehicle. It makes driving a lot more pleasant. Be absolutely sure that the vehicle you are considering has the feature. Ford marketing is really poor/difficult in that you have Ford 360 driver assistance package on pretty much every single vehicle. To get these systems you need the 360+ package. And even with that, I am not confidant that the adaptive cruise is part of 360+ on every trim level, because you see, the contents of Ford 360 and Ford 360+ are vehicle and trim dependent. The most obvious way to spot it, is the square box center of the grille. If it has that, the Bronco has the adaptive cruise.

thomasm23

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You must order Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ to get adaptive cruise control with lane centering.

I have an OB and use this feature all the time. I have 105,000 miles and still on the original brake pads all around. Adaptive cruise control favors the rear brakes with slowing the vehicle down.

The lane centering is great and will steer the vehicle on highway curves.

I will never have a future vehicle without these features. They are just great.

Ford charges only $895 for these features. This is a bargain.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I got Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ for the Adaptive Cruise Control (don’t use or trust its Stop-and-Go feature).

Here is my assessment. Lane Centering is a PITA keeping hands on with enough torque applied to the steering wheel (best to locate hands at the bottom of the steering wheel). I disabled Lane Centering because it’s unpredictable (dangerous) around tight turns and with inconsistent lane markings. (Disabled lane keeping too which is a Co-Pilot360 feature).

Disabled speed sign recognition after 1 pass through a 25mph school zone on a Saturday. Too dangerous (encourages rear and collisions).

Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ Features:
☑Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Stop-and-Go (don’t use Stop-and-Go)
❌Adaptive Cruise Control w/ Lane Centering 💩
☑Evasive Steering Assist
☑Voice-Activated Touchscreen Navigation
❌Speed Sign Recognition 💩 💩
NOTE: Adaptive Cruise Control with Speed Sign Recognition = Intelligent Adaptive Cruise Control 💩💩💩

Adaptive Cruise Control works great!!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I find that when the system bugs me about keeping my hands on the wheel, I just give steering wheel a very slight movement and the system shuts up.
Yes, for about 15 seconds. If you happen to make the exact same steering input as the system for the next 15 seconds you'll get another squawk. As far as I can tell, the only way the system can tell if your hands are on the wheel is if you steer opposite to the system.

SnoopyBroncoSport

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, for about 15 seconds. If you happen to make the exact same steering input as the system for the next 15 seconds you'll get another squawk. As far as I can tell, the only way the system can tell if your hands are on the wheel is if you steer opposite to the system.
I'll admit I don't really use it very often.

OP
OP
Paradocks

Paradocks

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got Ford Co-Pilot360 Assist+ for the Adaptive Cruise Control (don’t use or trust its Stop-and-Go feature).
I sometimes have minor panic attacks when using the stop-and-go feature on the Tucson. It is very difficult for me to trust the vehicle to actually slow down and stop behind a car at a red light on a divided highway. If using the feature I always keep my foot hovering over the brake pedal. But it does work as advertised.
Sponsored