Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
For those of us still waiting for our orders, I have an update. I just received an email from Suma Performance stating that my order has shipped with an expected delivery date of Monday, June 19th.

Hopefully, the mirrors will be worth the wait.
Me too (on both the shipping notice and the hope).
Sponsored

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Me too (on both the shipping notice and the hope).
I tested the sensor for them but I do not have a shipping notice yet. You would think I would get some sort of priority in the line. I think there were only a handful of us that did pre orders anyway, so how far down on the list could I be?

OP
OP
Suma Performance

Suma Performance

Outer Banks
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
The first batch went out but inadvertently the defroster extended wires were not included. We'll mail them out shortly!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Suma Performance why haven’t I received the mirrors or even a shipping email?

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I tested the sensor for them but I do not have a shipping notice yet. You would think I would get some sort of priority in the line. I think there were only a handful of us that did pre orders anyway, so how far down on the list could I be?
You're right...if you were involved with the testing, then you should already have your production order as far as I'm concerned. I think there were only six of us who ordered the mirrors, so hopefully your shipping info is coming soon.

I have to ask...what did you think of them? Are the gains in visibility worth the price (and the wait)?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're right...if you were involved with the testing, then you should already have your production order as far as I'm concerned. I think there were only six of us who ordered the mirrors, so hopefully your shipping info is coming soon.

I have to ask...what did you think of them? Are the gains in visibility worth the price (and the wait)?
They only sent a sensor, not the mirror, so I don’t know what they are like yet.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They only sent a sensor, not the mirror, so I don’t know what they are like yet.
Oh...ok. I guess we'll find out together. I'll definitely post my thoughts once I receive the mirrors.

OP
OP
Suma Performance

Suma Performance

Outer Banks
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Eddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
We shipped out only a few out and the rest will be shipped out later. For the first shipment, the defroster extended wires were inadvertently left out. They will be shipped out shortly this week.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Suma Performance I just received my shipment today. Are you saying that I should be on the lookout for a second shipment with just the extended defroster wires?

Edit: Never mind. I just checked the website and I see that I have a second shipment coming.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bad news, everyone. The second set of mirrors SUMA sent me have the same problem as the first set they sent. That is, the BLIS and cross-traffic alert systems generate faults when SUMA's mirrors are installed.

Here's the sequence of events so far. I got the first set of mirrors and attempted installation back in March. There were no installation instructions included, but I figured out how to remove the OEM mirror without damaging anything (it's not difficult, but it does take a bit of muscle). I plugged in the driver's side mirror, but before attaching the mirror I turned on ACC power to see what would happen. The indicator in the mirror flashed very briefly and very dimly, then I got system faults shown below.
Ford Bronco Sport (CLOSED) Pre-Order Group Buy | Suma Performance Mirrors {filename}

Ford Bronco Sport (CLOSED) Pre-Order Group Buy | Suma Performance Mirrors {filename}

I notified Eddy at SUMA of the problems I'd had. I also notified him the connectors for the mirror defrost heat element were inadequate. The OEM mirror includes plastic clips to hold the connectors in place; SUMA's mirrors do not. What's more, the fit of the OEM connector to the SUMA mirror was extremely loose. It was obvious to me that without a way to secure the connectors to the mirror they would simply fall off inside the mirror housing, which is why the OEM mirror include the clips. Eddy responded that he was sending me another mirror to test, along with adapter wires for the defrost connectors. He also said that he would refund the purchase price of the mirrors for my trouble if I would continue testing, which seemed reasonable. (NOTE: to date, I've not received a refund.)

I received another (single) mirror in the mail with the adapter wires. This mirror was not of the correct size and shape to fit the Bronco Sport. After asking for clarification, Eddy told me this was a mirror designed to fit the full-sized Bronco. He said SUMA had had similar difficulties with the electronics in the full-sized Bronco, but had successfully modified their mirrors to work. He asked me to plug the mirror in and test BLIS/Cross-track systems in my car. I asked for confirmation that doing this would not damage the systems in my car, and Eddy confirmed. I connected it and got the same errors. On a positive note, I determined the adapter wires he sent would work. They would add significantly to the length of the wiring harness and would require securing to prevent rattling around in the mirror housing, but I was sure I could make it work. I notified Eddy, and he said he would let his team know about the continued fault. Fast-forward several months...

During the months I was waiting, Eddy sent a module to @Meanderthal to test. Eric said the module did not generate the same faults in his car, so I assumed SUMA had figured out the issue and decided to continue waiting. I got the updated mirrors a couple of weeks ago, but not the defroster adapter wires, so installation was on hold. Fast-forward to last week...

I got the adapter wires and attempted installation. I plugged in the driver's side and switched on ACC power. The indicator flashed very briefly and dimly just like the first set...uh oh. I waited a few minutes, but I didn't get the system faults. Hmmm. So I installed both mirrors, then went for a drive. No issues after engine start except the indicators were so dim I thought it would be hard to see them in bright sunlight. After driving for 10 minutes the same system faults appeared on the display.

I sent an email to SUMA describing the problem and received this today:

SUMA said:
Hi Mark,

Sorry, yes we are still having the same BLIS issue. The team is fixing the BLIS issue and we'll ship out new mirrors for those customers who've received their mirrors with this BLIS issue, sorry for the inconvenience.

Eddy
Soooooo, I uninstalled the mirrors and put the OEM mirrors back on. While uninstalling the driver's side SUMA mirror the circular plastic clip that attaches to the mirror mount in the car detached from the mirror, and a piece of it broke off and remained attached to the mirror mount. I had to pull it off with a pair of pliers. This mirror is no longer serviceable for installation due to the broken clip. Not a good sign for durability, or if you ever have to uninstall the mirror for maintenance.

At this point I've decided to extract myself from the situation and have asked for a refund. I'm concerned after seeing the plastic clip break off on the SUMA mirror that I might damage the mount in the car's mirror housing, which is also made of plastic.

I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next. I might consider purchasing a set of these mirrors in the future if they can work out the electronics issues. Driving with the SUMA mirrors installed I could see that the field of view to the side of the car was greatly improved. I didn't get a chance to drive at night, so I can't comment on the dimming function. That said, I've lost confidence in SUMA's ability to get this product out and I'm no longer willing to continue product testing.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I notified Eddy of my decision to withdraw from product testing and my request for a refund two weeks ago. Eddy followed through today, and I've gotten my refund. I hope Suma can figure out the issue with these and get them squared away. They seem like a nice product.

Y2Dre

Badlands
First Name
Andre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Suma Performance...After reading the posts above from Mark S., I'm now hesitant to install the mirrors at this point. Who can I reach out to for a return?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
please email us at [email protected], thanks.
I've sent a couple of emails requesting direction on what you want me to do with the last pair of defective mirrors you sent me. I've gotten no response either. I'll send them back if you get me a shipping label, otherwise I'll drop them in the recycle bin. Let me know...
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.