mbshamel

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 BS
How many amps is the cigarette lighter connection in the Bronco Sport?
I did a search here in the forums but didn't see a clear answer.
Sponsored

ScareCrow

Badlands
First Name
Burl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS/Badlands
How many amps is the cigarette lighter connection in the Bronco Sport?
I did a search here in the forums but didn't see a clear answer.
Those type of connectors are rated at a max of 10 amp, but I wouldn't push it.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
Whatever the fuse ratting is.

BravoAlpha

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Expedition MAX Silverado Z71
Edited

Auxiliary 12v power points are 20A fuses but FMC owners manual contradicts and says no more than 15A 🧐

I‘d like to find some literature or some observation on the timeouts of all these power points (USB, 110v, 12v) Front and back.

some hot some not. Some on timers (5min, 30, 70) , some produce lower voltage out of PARK, some USBs charge faster than others.

Last edited:

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Edited

Auxiliary 12v power points are 20A fuses but FMC owners manual contradicts and says no more than 15A 🧐

I‘d like to find some literature or some observation on the timeouts of all these power points (USB, 110v, 12v) Front and back.

some hot some not. Some on timers (5min, 30, 70) , some produce lower voltage out of PARK, some USBs charge faster than others.
Most fuses (and circuit breakers) have a continuous rating of 80% of nominal. So a 20A fuse should be able to carry 16A indefinitely. Ford may say 15A just to try and avoid fuses blowing.

When a fuse blows (or a breaker trips) is a matter of both current and time. They can typically handle a very brief surge over their rated amperage -- but even if current is (say) just 90% of the rating they will eventually blow. The shorter the duration, the greater the amount of current the fuse can handle. This isn't the best chart, but this is the idea -- a "!A" fuse can take over 5A, but only for an extremely short period of time:

Ford Bronco Sport Cigarette lighter amperage 1700768487142

One reason for a lower voltage when in gear could be that the idle speed is lower, which might lower the alternator's output voltage

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I think the voltage regulator is designed to keep the voltage up, but the current will often drop at idle. My new f-250 alternator puts out 13 volts at idle.

I don't know, but I believe that the power points are controlled by the battery monitoring system to keep the battery from running down.

I was disappointed to find I couldn't charge my phone for more than a few minutes once the engine was off.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I think the voltage regulator is designed to keep the voltage up, but the current will often drop at idle. My new f-250 alternator puts out 13 volts at idle.

I don't know, but I believe that the power points are controlled by the battery monitoring system to keep the battery from running down.

I was disappointed to find I couldn't charge my phone for more than a few minutes once the engine was off.
The 12V outlet being shut off is unusual (but I'm used to older vehicles). I guess in general it's good to have the power to the 12V (and 120V) outlets shut off to protect the battery. Still, not being able to charge your phone for more than a few minutes once the engine is off seems odd. If the phone charger is the only load, it should be able to run at least long enough to charge the phone -- and then some.

One possibility is that the 12V outlet is on a timer, and it shuts off after a few minutes no matter what.

Another possibility is that the battery is discharged (or defective) and power to the outlet is being turned off due to low voltage.

I suppose a third is that whatever controls 'sleep mode' is not working right.

On the alternator voltage -- 13V is low. Every alternator/regulator I've checked over the years has put out 14.2 to 14.4 volts.

As you said, the max current output of an alternator is dependent on RPM. If the electrical system has a heavy load on it, then the voltage at idle may drop.

In some vehicles, putting them in gear can lower the rpm enough to lower the voltage. IDK if that is the case with the BS, but it is something I've seen (and what I was referring to above).
Sponsored

Last edited: