Catching/Clicking feel under driver side when full crank reversing after RC Suspension install

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've noticed this a handful of times when reversing out of a spot and cranking the wheel full turn, there is a definite click/catch that I feel right under my feet on the drivers side as well as in the steering wheel. Started happening after the RC Suspension lift went on. If I reverse and keep the wheel straight just a few feet then engage the turn it doesn't do it. The other day when parallal parking in a tight spot it did it a couple times back and fourth. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this or had it happen as well. I'm thinking something with the install and more then likely will take it back in and have them check it out. I don't have the equipment to really get up there and check it out when it's full crank and in reverse.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Sounds like you need to call RC Suspension and have a chat.
Yeah I'll probably reach out and see what they have to say. Guidance wise this place I got it installed is constantly on a 2 week wait list to get in, would it be a smart idea to take it into a ford dealership, I genuinley avoid going into manufactuer dealerships.

Like I said tho, this only happens in very specific scenarioes, generally 90% of the time I don't have it happen by just not engaging the turn immediatley in reverse.

Cursed Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Dakota
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
This happens to many people with the RC kits as I have seen. The same thing happened to me as well. A bolt had worked it's way loose on my sway bar, which caused the sound/issue. The shop tightened it back up and I haven't heard the clunking since.

Some people attribute it to the sway bar end links, or the kit being installed wrong. I couldn't give you much more of an answer since mine went away, so I haven't worried much about it.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This happens to many people with the RC kits as I have seen. The same thing happened to me as well. A bolt had worked it's way loose on my sway bar, which caused the sound/issue. The shop tightened it back up and I haven't heard the clunking since.

Some people attribute it to the sway bar end links, or the kit being installed wrong. I couldn't give you much more of an answer since mine went away, so I haven't worried much about it.
Thanks for the input, I know I've read alot of the lift kits having "clunking" sounds. I'm gonna mention that to them when they check it, the sway bar bolt coming loose. I've also read other places a "cotter" pin hitting something when turning certain spots and causing the noise.

CyberSparky

Outer Banks
First Name
Delone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 1995 Ford Bronco, 1981 Ford Bro
Had the same issue with sway bar drop bracket and bolts loosening up. Order the correct length sway bar arms from HRG and remove the RC drop brackets, problem solved.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

CyberSparky

Outer Banks
First Name
Delone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, 1995 Ford Bronco, 1981 Ford Bro
Btw how much of an issue would you consider this, we have some trips coming up this weekend we will be driving quite a bit, like I said no other issues except for when turning and reversing only, but if somethings loose will that be a major issue highway driving for long periods?
It won’t be an issue imo, you might try putting a wrench and ratchet to the drop bracket and bolt for the sway bar link and it’ll probably quiet down for a short period. Mine would loosen up once a week with regular travel even with locktite.

The link above is the correct items. 👍🏼

Also I would recommend having the shop still check it out, something else could be loose during installation. If you search these forums though you’ll find quite a few posts about those drop brackets.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It won’t be an issue imo, you might try putting a wrench and ratchet to the drop bracket and bolt for the sway bar link and it’ll probably quiet down for a short period. Mine would loosen up once a week with regular travel even with locktite.
Respectfully, there's no evidence this noise is caused by the same problem @CyberSparky experienced. Verbal descriptions of noises are notoriously inconsistent from one person to the next (ask any mechanic). A car's suspension shouldn't make noises like you describe, and you should have it looked at before taking a long trip. Whatever is causing the noise may also be causing damage to other suspension components, so the less you drive it before getting it evaluated the better. Just because it only makes the noise under certain conditions doesn't mean it can only cause damage under those conditions.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Respectfully, there's no evidence this noise is caused by the same problem @CyberSparky experienced. Verbal descriptions of noises are notoriously inconsistent from one person to the next (ask any mechanic). A car's suspension shouldn't make noises like you describe, and you should have it looked at before taking a long trip. Whatever is causing the noise may also be causing damage to other suspension components, so the less you drive it before getting it evaluated the better. Just because it only makes the noise under certain conditions doesn't mean it can only cause damage under those conditions.
Yes I get that thinking as well. I'm going in tomorrow morning to get it check out and make sure its safe to drive.

baztien.xplrz

Base
First Name
Reah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

Just took my Bronco into the wheels/tireshop yesterday and the shop owner and I confirmed that the bolt on the sway bar end link got loose so there was a bit of a gap causing the sway bar end to shift back and fort on that thread. The technician retightened the bolt and added loctite. Shop owner promised that it was a permanent solution and to take it back in if it ever gets loose again. Though now that I know forsure where the nut loosened, I can fix it myself if need be.

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Sorry for not reporting back, the issue was alot more simple, tire was just barely catching pinch weld in specific positions, reaosn why it felt like a quick "catch, click" Also why it was only happening so rarely, and in very specific positions, wheel had to be loaded a bit, in reverse and fully cranked. Welded some down, plus make room for 245/70/17
Sponsored