Clicking sound when turning a steering wheel with turn signal on

Saeng

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I hear a clicking sound whenever I turn steering wheel to the opposite direction from the turn signal. For example, when I put the turn signal to the right and then turn the steering wheel slightly to the left, I hear a clicking sound. I didn't have this kind of noise until two weeks ago when I got my car back from oil change service in the dealership. Once I got my car back I heard this noise. I didn't know where it came from in the beginning and it took a while for me to figure out the pattern. Does anyone experience this kind of noise?
Sponsored

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
I noticed this clicking sound ever since I got my car. I thought it was a way to keep the signal on, if I ever turned the wheel in the slight opposite direction

PTown_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Krista
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I have this too! Well, mine sounds like when a plastic water bottle "pops", not a normal blinker stalk sound because it's pretty loud. I told my Service Dept about it, they looked, but couldn't find anything wrong.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
do you have the lane assist activated?

OP
OP

Saeng

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
No. Lane assist has been off from the beginning when I got my car.

I made an appointment with the dealership to check it. But the service guy later called me to tell that one of their technicians just got his new bronco sport and has the same sound with the same pattern. And he said it is just normal. So I cancelled my appointment.
I am not sure I got sensitive suddenly, but there was nothing like that sound before, and it started to annoy me a little when I got it back from the service as it is quite big sound. But I guess I need to accept it as what it is for now.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Can you record the sound for us?

From what you’re describing it sounds like the mechanism that moves the turn signal lever back to the neutral position after you complete a turn and bring the wheel back to center. All of my cars make small clicking noises when you turn into the turn signal direction, and louder clicks when turning against the direction you’re turning.

The level of noise may be abnormally loud (video would help for that), but might just be one of those things you don’t experience much and catches you off guard (and makes it harder to ignore, sadly!). I think I have noticed clicking like you describe on every car I have owned, new or used.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
It's standard engagement of the stalk system turn signal as you make the turn, it disables the signal...this is normal. Drive your sport and enjoy life a little.

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I have this too! Well, mine sounds like when a plastic water bottle "pops", not a normal blinker stalk sound because it's pretty loud. I told my Service Dept about it, they looked, but couldn't find anything wrong.
I have this sound as well. It always sounds like it is coming from the front left or right pillar, depending on which way I am turning. Indeed, I normally get it each time I am about to pull into work (which requires a weird/quick turn to a small median).

Given how loud (relatively speaking) the noise is, I have been curious about it. A water bottle "pop" is the perfect way to describe it.

Seems like it is nothing to be worried about. Good to know!

Wolf256

Badlands
First Name
Jane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport Atlas Blue
I had the same thing on my F150, so it didn’t even register when it did this on my Sport.

Emora30

Big Bend
First Name
Elena
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just noticed this clicking sound as I was making left and right turns in a parking garage. Like a little roller coaster in the steering column.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I just noticed this clicking sound as I was making left and right turns in a parking garage. Like a little roller coaster in the steering column.
Hi there! Will you send us a message with your VIN and your local Ford dealer? I can look into things on my end.
Sponsored