CarPlay 2023 with iOS 16

MHUNTOON

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Coming in late 2023, the new CarPlay looks amazing. Of course, a lot of that has to do with vehicles with really interesting screen layouts (think the new EV Hyundai, for example). I wonder which (if any) features will translate over to our Bronco Sports. Has anyone found anything yet specifically about the BS? We're a year or so out for the features to start appearing, so we have plenty of time. The only thing I saw was:

https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/apple-car-play-ios-16-car-manufacturers-features

It shows which manufacturers will support it, but if you click on Ford it doesn't give models or any useful information.
Sponsored

Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Big Bend
I anticipate not much of the updated CarPlay features from iOS 16 will translate to our BS. This guess is based on the separate screens, and the fact that the center console screen is not interactive in the same sense. When you look at these upcoming models they have singular screens that stretch the entire front dash - that’s where iOS will now need to compensate speedometers, fuel meters, as well as car error lights , etc. Ford would need to completely upgrade the front dash as it currently stands, I believe, before we would truly benefit from all the awesome things iOS 16 will bring to CarPlay.

PS - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CARPLAY AND HOW HANDS FREE IT MAKES MY DRIVE! I am also an avid Apple lover, so it works best for my family of devices/subscription services!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
I anticipate not much of the updated CarPlay features from iOS 16 will translate to our BS. This guess is based on the separate screens, and the fact that the center console screen is not interactive in the same sense. When you look at these upcoming models they have singular screens that stretch the entire front dash - that’s where iOS will now need to compensate speedometers, fuel meters, as well as car error lights , etc. Ford would need to completely upgrade the front dash as it currently stands, I believe, before we would truly benefit from all the awesome things iOS 16 will bring to CarPlay.

PS - I ABSOLUTELY LOVE CARPLAY AND HOW HANDS FREE IT MAKES MY DRIVE! I am also an avid Apple lover, so it works best for my family of devices/subscription services!
While I agree that most of the features of the new CarPlay will have to be incorporated by auto manufacturers and that we won't really see much of it in our BSs, I don't believe that it relies on a continuous width screen. First, most of those types of screens just look like a single screen but are actually 2, or 3, separate screens. That would also extremely limit who could implement it and while Apple is sort of elitist at times, I don't think they would go to that extreme and limit the implementation that way.

OP
OP

MHUNTOON

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I would just like to see them take over the 6.5" screen and allow more customizations/widgets

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I don't use it much, but when I do, Carplay works flawlessly in my Bronco.

Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While I agree that most of the features of the new CarPlay will have to be incorporated by auto manufacturers and that we won't really see much of it in our BSs, I don't believe that it relies on a continuous width screen. First, most of those types of screens just look like a single screen but are actually 2, or 3, separate screens. That would also extremely limit who could implement it and while Apple is sort of elitist at times, I don't think they would go to that extreme and limit the implementation that way.
I think Apple would do exactly just that. Take a look at the models of cars that are actively advertising CarPlay in their vehicles…the tech looks NOTHING like what Ford is putting out right now. I’m pretty sure CarPlay doesn’t even have the capabilities to interact with the instrument panel as it currently stands. Kind of like creating the tech to open locked car doors by waving your phone over the handle through Apple Pay/wallet but only having it standard on BMWs.

Last edited:

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think Apple would do exactly just that. Take a look at the models of cars that are actively advertising CarPlay in their vehicles…the tech looks NOTHING like what Ford is putting out right now. I’m pretty sure CarPlay doesn’t even have the capabilities to interact with the instrument panel as it currently stands. Kind of like creating the tech to open locked car doors by waving your phone over the handle through Apple Pay/wallet but only having it standard on BMWs.
It's only standard on BMWs because BMW went out of their way to make it standard by adding hardware to the car to make it possible. I guess the same argument can be said to incorporating the next generation of CarPlay. I still don't believe that a single screen will be a requirement. I also think that car makers are building dashboards that appear to have a single wide screen but it is actually made up of two or more smaller screens. Because of that, it should be possible to have multiple separate screens.

From a manufacturing engineering side of things, no screen manufacturer is going to tool up a screen that has the aspect ratio of one of these dashes that appear to be one screen. The sales volume of doing that for a single car maker to use on a couple of models of cars, and maybe even only certain trim levels, just does not support it. That is why when you look behind the single piece of glass/plastic that stretches across the dashboard, I'm sure you are going to find multiple smaller screens that may be digitally stitched together.

Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's only standard on BMWs because BMW went out of their way to make it standard by adding hardware to the car to make it possible. I guess the same argument can be said to incorporating the next generation of CarPlay. I still don't believe that a single screen will be a requirement. I also think that car makers are building dashboards that appear to have a single wide screen but it is actually made up of two or more smaller screens. Because of that, it should be possible to have multiple separate screens.

From a manufacturing engineering side of things, no screen manufacturer is going to tool up a screen that has the aspect ratio of one of these dashes that appear to be one screen. The sales volume of doing that for a single car maker to use on a couple of models of cars, and maybe even only certain trim levels, just does not support it. That is why when you look behind the single piece of glass/plastic that stretches across the dashboard, I'm sure you are going to find multiple smaller screens that may be digitally stitched together.
Ok, so I guess I can agree that there could multiple screens making up the larger display dash - which would make sense for repair and replacement purposes. But, I will stand by my point that the displays will look like a “single” screen spanning the length of the dash.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so I guess I can agree that there could multiple screens making up the larger display dash - which would make sense for repair and replacement purposes. But, I will stand by my point that the displays will look like a “single” screen spanning the length of the dash.
My point is that once it is physically multiple display panels, it doesn't really make any difference if they are located right next to each other or not. I know the current trend in concept (and a few production) cars is to have that seamless expanse of dashboard display but that would be silly of any brand to apply that to any and all vehicles. I don't think Apple would paint themselves into a corner like that either.

Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My point is that once it is physically multiple display panels, it doesn't really make any difference if they are located right next to each other or not. I know the current trend in concept (and a few production) cars is to have that seamless expanse of dashboard display but that would be silly of any brand to apply that to any and all vehicles. I don't think Apple would paint themselves into a corner like that either.
Apple literally doesn’t even let people customize their Lock Screen…but I guess there’s other corners they like to back into. Whatever, one screen or 17 FORD won’t have the CarPlay adaptations while they’re still putting Sync 3 into vehicles.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Dmbleist

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ya. Exactly.
Not that there aren’t plenty of things to hate on, but you’re going to have to find another one. I guess now you can’t customize the Lock Screen enough will be the new wailing.

LucaJones

First Name
Luca
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
The carplay 2023 with ios 16 looks promising, especially with the new screen layouts in some vehicles.
I'm eagerly waiting to see which features will make it to our Bronco sports.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
The carplay 2023 with ios 16 looks promising, especially with the new screen layouts in some vehicles.
I'm eagerly waiting to see which features will make it to our Bronco sports.
Not much changed with carplay 2023 with ios 16.. very similar to prior versions.

Apple did announce significantly enhanced CarPlay… “Apple in 2023 is planning to revamp CarPlay with new deeper integration with vehicles. That will include multi-display support, integration with in-car instrument clusters, access to a vehicle's climate controls, widget support, an FM radio app, and more. The first vehicles with next-generation CarPlay support are expected to come out in late 2023.”

But the enhanced multi-display described in the following article is not expected to make in into Bronco Sports (maybe for 2025 or later models but haven’t seen any specifics on that).
https://www.stuff.tv/features/apple-carplay-new-features/

IOS 17 should have new CarPlay features. There are rumors of that in: https://www.macrumors.com/2023/06/13/whats-new-carplay-ios-17/
Sponsored