Can a front camera be added to a Big Bend

Sarah Davis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Fusion, 2017 Cmax
Has anyone added a factory front camera to a Big Bend (ie: OEM Camera, installed the button on the dash in the place it’s located on a Badlands)?
I just asked our aftermarket team and they said they can not do that, they can install a dash cam to record but cannot add a factory camera with the sensors and everything that comes with factory camera.
Sponsored

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
With the technology they have on the car for assist and assist plus, you'd think the front camera would be standard. Honestly I thought it was standard in the broncos and the bronco sports because I thought it was part of the GOAT sand mode, and all the broncos and bronco sports have that as one of the basic 5 GOAT modes. I didn't realize when I o ordered my car that the camera did not come in lower than the badlands trim. This is the one thing slut my car that I feel misled from Ford. In all the brochures and the online manual, it talks about the camera and sand. It never says that's not part of sand with every trim. I knew that other features and options were only available in certain trim levels, but I didn't know that sand mode wasn't the same across the board. That front camera was one reason I was looking forward to the car and that goat mode. I am trying to figure out who to write at Ford and let them know they either need to put in the sand camera in every bronco and bronco sport, or make it clear that it the GOAT mode doesn't always have the same features. It makes me wonder what else I think works a certain way but doesn't in actuality.

Other than that, so far I'm loving my broncito!!! It would be nice to have the back seat storage as an option to purchase with the build, but i knew that wasn't available with my trim, so I'm not upset about not getting to have that.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
With the technology they have on the car for assist and assist plus, you'd think the front camera would be standard.
To be clear, your OB does have a standard forward-facing camera. It's housed in the plastic nacelle at the top of your windshield. The camera provides data for the driver' aids (adaptive cruise, lane-keeping, etc.) and the auto high-beam system. I believe it also is part of the emergency braking system.

What you DON'T have is the 180 degree trail camera installed in the grill. That feature is part of the suite of off-road goodies that comes with the Badlands. It's not just for SAND mode, it also operates when the driver selects MUD/RUTS or ROCK CRAWL, and may also be turned on manually. The primary value of the 180 degree camera is in choosing a line over difficult obstacles, therefore it's of much less value in SAND mode than in other off-road modes. Keep in mind, the 180 degree camera shuts itself off when vehicle speed exceeds 15 mph, which seems likely when driving on sand. That suggests (to me) if you want a forward-facing camera you can monitor while driving on sand an aftermarket option might suit your needs better then the OEM offering from Ford.

Tossty

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Good question, I have contacted the Camera Source which I bought from them long time ago the front and rear cameras OEM's for the 2013 Ford Raptor that I used to have that did not come with cameras. It was a plug & play install using the OEM 4.5" display on the Raptor. This is their response to my question;

Good Morning Eric,

For this vehicle I would recommend SKU: 7CS-ULPM-RU This will allow you to add the front camera and have it show on the factory SYNC 3 display.

Thanks,

Tricia

Camera Source

ON you tube there is a video that shows how to remove the radio to have that install done. I will be traveling for sometime but once I get back from my trip this is my next install on my wife BS.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The first time my BB did that I had to change my underwear. It makes me drive more defensively.
I never want to see that thing go off again.
I wonder: If you do not respond... does it apply the brake for you?
It does not on my Big Bend. I believe the optional 360+ might.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
It does not on my Big Bend. I believe the optional 360+ might.
All Bronco Sports come with Co-Pilot 360 standard, and that includes the pre-collision assist feature. According to the Owner's Manual, pre-collision assist works as follows:
If your vehicle is rapidly approaching
another stationary vehicle, a vehicle
traveling in the same direction as yours, or
a pedestrian within your driving path, the
system provides three levels of
functionality:
1. Alert.
2. Brake support.
3. Active braking.
This link has more information about the system, but the bottom line is all Bronco Sports incorporate technology to apply the brakes independent of driver input if the system detect an immanent collision and the driver doesn't respond to the warnings.

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
All Bronco Sports come with Co-Pilot 360 standard, and that includes the pre-collision assist feature. According to the Owner's Manual, pre-collision assist works as follows:

This link has more information about the system, but the bottom line is all Bronco Sports incorporate technology to apply the brakes independent of driver input if the system detect an immanent collision and the driver doesn't respond to the warnings.
Thank you.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
A front mounted camera and the 2.0 are the 2 biggest thing I miss on my '23 OBX.

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Good question, I have contacted the Camera Source which I bought from them long time ago the front and rear cameras OEM's for the 2013 Ford Raptor that I used to have that did not come with cameras. It was a plug & play install using the OEM 4.5" display on the Raptor. This is their response to my question;

Good Morning Eric,

For this vehicle I would recommend SKU: 7CS-ULPM-RU This will allow you to add the front camera and have it show on the factory SYNC 3 display.

Thanks,

Tricia

Camera Source

ON you tube there is a video that shows how to remove the radio to have that install done. I will be traveling for sometime but once I get back from my trip this is my next install on my wife BS.
What was the question you asked them? (meaning, was that the response when you asked about the Raptor, or did you specifically ask about the BS?) I have a Big Bend and would be interested in adding a front facing camera for use through the media screen. It looks like the kit linked from there response uses an RCA connector. I wonder if any RCA connected camera could work. Thermal would be a pretty cool front camera add on
(In use on the HUDWAY HUD display: )

Thanks,

Keith

Tossty

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Keith, what I asked them was to see if they have a kit as a plug & play for the Ford Bronco Sport. That was their response. I have not done anything but is on my list of things to do eventually.

CODIY

Big Bend
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Keith, what I asked them was to see if they have a kit as a plug & play for the Ford Bronco Sport. That was their response. I have not done anything but is on my list of things to do eventually.
Gotcha, thanks. I look forward to hearing about it when you decide to move forward.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Good Morning Eric,

Thanks,

Tricia

Camera Source

Curious if you ended up installing this camera? Watched a video on removing the radio and it’s super doable. Just pop off the plate behind the screen on the dash than unscrew a few bolts and the screen comes out then unplug a few connections. If you ended up doing it I might add it to my list of things to do this spring haha

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Curious if you ended up installing this camera? Watched a video on removing the radio and it’s super doable. Just pop off the plate behind the screen on the dash than unscrew a few bolts and the screen comes out then unplug a few connections. If you ended up doing it I might add it to my list of things to do this spring haha
Can you post the link to the video you saw? (Because the one I saw about removing the radio was quite involved)

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Can you post the link to the video you saw? (Because the one I saw about removing the radio was quite involved)
This first video gives you the gist of it, the second video I definitely wouldn’t take it as the best way, you’re essentially watching two people figuring it out as they go so you don’t have to lol. But the radio itself seems easy enough. The whole dash though…that risk to reward ratio on not snapping some plastic seems way off to me haha.

Sponsored