Goleta Jim

Goleta Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Personal perspective. Depends on what your needs, budget, and patience are. If you truly aren't in a hurry and waiting is not a big deal, I'd wait. Odds are, the Sports will level out, and when the MY22 editions startup, they won't be worse and possibly may have some bugs worked out, and new features or options that would be appealing. Nothing is free.
The demand is very high, and every manufacturer is against a wall. Predictions are, we are JUST beginning the REAL chip shortage, and it's about to get worse before it gets better. I don't see jeeps or any other ORV as an easy out, even those are getting hard to come by.
If you are unwilling (and I would say you SHOULD be) to pay well beyond MSRP with or even without A/Z/X plan options, there is no reason you should need to pay over and above.
How far will you go? Cali assuming you live in the west, may not have as many lot vehicles available. What MAY help you out are the delays. In my case, I did pre-order/order in March. The delays put my order behind the eightball, and to this point, it hasn't entered production but does have a VIN. In the delays, I searched local dealers and one that I started with had the badlands edition I wanted, the only thing different from my direct order was a $130 cargo system which wasn't a deal-breaker. I bought the one available and I am in the first week of enjoying the decision. My order is still being built and will end up dealer stock. I have a feeling there will be a quick surge once the Bronco sport line returns to production, allegedly next week.

options
1) wait because you can, and it's the most sensible option (but could drag out for several months, maybe a year)
2)decide what you must have, and what isn't as important, and find one on a lot (may not be the color, configuration you want, but it's a sport and that's what matters)
3)Diligence, search, search daily, weekly, and seek opportunity. I have a feeling it will happen, but region, availability, personal options, all those may be a deterrent
4)consider options. How reasonable is it to fly somewhere, buy what you want, and have one heck of a drive home? pretty extreme but there are bronco sports available. Some regions like Michigan have an abundance of them. But that's a long way from Cali. I can tell you there is a Area 51 Badlands with Tow and bigger tires being built at some point in the Detroit area fwiw.
Very good ideas! Thank you for taking the time to write them out! Very helpful!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Goleta Jim

Goleta Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
this may not apply to you, both dealers I worked with said, anything ordered after 5/1 pretty much expect October delivery at the very earliest.
And Badlands vs Big Bend, the badlands has a lot of nice features, I test drove several Big Bend's, and they weren't lacking for any fun or many features. It's not settling if that's what you can get your hands on. The Big Bend is plenty peppy and has off road capable setup. Is it baja race challenge ready...probably not. And neither IS MY badlands I'm just not that talented no matter what I have :)
Thanks, Mike, for the comments. I'm especially glad to hear the good report on the Big Bend. I think I'll be much more likely to find a BB for a reasonable price within a day's drive of me..

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
There is a PDF Ford put out said 50 percent of Bronco Sports are Big Bends, 25 percent are Outer Banks, 15 percent are Badlands. So Big Bends are most common.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
There is a PDF Ford put out said 50 percent of Bronco Sports are Big Bends, 25 percent are Outer Banks, 15 percent are Badlands. So Big Bends are most common.
I believe it. I've seen more BB then every other trim combined. Only seen 1 OB and 2 BL in the wild.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I believe it. I've seen more BB then every other trim combined. Only seen 1 OB and 2 BL in the wild.
I think many dealers ordered Big Bend options because most consider them the best bang for the dollar. You get a few upgrade features and still have a low price point with MSRP. I was set to purchase a Big Bend, the dealer I worked with suggested I spend a few extra bucks for the 2.0 motor. In the end I am sure it will be worth it due to lower production of Badlands, but I honestly think I would have been equally happy with a Big Bend. I doubt the full capability of the badlands will ever be an issue on my end.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I think many dealers ordered Big Bend options because most consider them the best bang for the dollar. You get a few upgrade features and still have a low price point with MSRP. I was set to purchase a Big Bend, the dealer I worked with suggested I spend a few extra bucks for the 2.0 motor. In the end I am sure it will be worth it due to lower production of Badlands, but I honestly think I would have been equally happy with a Big Bend. I doubt the full capability of the badlands will ever be an issue on my end.
I test drove a BB back in December because that’s all they had on the lot at the time. Thought the 1.5L would be underpowered but it felt fine to me for everyday driving.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
IMO- if at all possible, WAIT.
in y situation, we have 2 "main" cars (sedan and coupe) and a 2010 Escape Limited as the "fun/extra/outdoorsy" vehicle that will be good for several years (just 93k miles right now).
I think by the end of 2022, the situation will be better, and one has the added bonus of possibly getting some bugs worked out, and perhaps some more options available too. (like moonroof delete on the BL pkg, and UGDO availability, which I still think is weird to omit from an almost 40k car - thinking of BL+BL here).
The search for the car of your choice (trim/color/options) will be less of a headache, and you won't be a victim of the high demand right now.
Same scenario In my wife's case: current 2014Mazda6 has 147k now and runs great. Wanted upgrade to a 2021 CX-30 Turbo BUT it's almost impossible to find in the trim/color combo we want. So we decided to wait on that also until mid/end of 2022. We can easily find the non-turbo 2021 models, but i know we/I will regret it, because we both know we do want the turbo.

do NOT settle for a lower trim and give up options and more importantly, the ENGINE you want, if you're set on a BL. No matter what anyone says, you WILL regret once you know you COULD have had a 2.0L engine and whatever the other options the BL trim brings. EVERY time you see a BL on the road a year or 2 from now, it will nag you.
If you have other cars in your fleet, and if they can hold you until end of 2022 or so, WAIT. I don't think you will regret it.

This and the past year have been hard for the whole WORLD. Enjoy the things that you still can, get out on the trails that you can still get to without a beast of an off-road vehicle, and take time to research, even consider other (even used) options. Be patient.

One thing that has helped me/us a LOT to make "the wait" easier was to make the current fleet as attractive as possible and pay extra attention to maintenance, so that they will be appealing as a trade-in or private sale when the time comes. I have started paying more attention to the 2005 BMW, 2010 Escape and wife's 2014 Mazda6, adding small modifications (even something like upgrading interior and exterior lighting, getting interior professionally cleaned and detailed, fix small things that are broken, etc (exterior detailing I do myself, but I can't match what they do with a steam clean for the inside), and most of all, admiring them for how good they've been to us, and how valuable they are to us (used car market is crazy right now). It is a very satisfying feeling and every time I use them I feel more gratitude towards them (i know, I get attached to cars I take care of) and thankful for everything we have been through with them on the road in these past years, esp in 2020 and this year...

So, do NOT settle for less if you are set on a BL+BL (like me) just because you want it "now". Good things do come to those who wait (most of the time) and as far as cars go, in my case, they always have. Here's hoping it would happen again.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
in y situation, we have 2 "main" cars (sedan and coupe) and a 2010 Escape Limited as the "fun/extra/outdoorsy" vehicle that will be good for several years (just 93k miles right now).
I think by the end of 2022, the situation will be better, and one has the added bonus of possibly getting some bugs worked out, and perhaps some more options available too. (like moonroof delete on the BL pkg, and UGDO availability, which I still think is weird to omit from an almost 40k car - thinking of BL+BL here).
The search for the car of your choice (trim/color/options) will be less of a headache, and you won't be a victim of the high demand right now.
Same scenario In my wife's case: current 2014Mazda6 has 147k now and runs great. Wanted upgrade to a 2021 CX-30 Turbo BUT it's almost impossible to find in the trim/color combo we want. So we decided to wait on that also until mid/end of 2022. We can easily find the non-turbo 2021 models, but i know we/I will regret it, because we both know we do want the turbo.

do NOT settle for a lower trim and give up options and more importantly, the ENGINE you want, if you're set on a BL. No matter what anyone says, you WILL regret once you know you COULD have had a 2.0L engine and whatever the other options the BL trim brings. EVERY time you see a BL on the road a year or 2 from now, it will nag you.
If you have other cars in your fleet, and if they can hold you until end of 2022 or so, WAIT. I don't think you will regret it.

This and the past year have been hard for the whole WORLD. Enjoy the things that you still can, get out on the trails that you can still get to without a beast of an off-road vehicle, and take time to research, even consider other (even used) options. Be patient.

One thing that has helped me/us a LOT to make "the wait" easier was to make the current fleet as attractive as possible and pay extra attention to maintenance, so that they will be appealing as a trade-in or private sale when the time comes. I have started paying more attention to the 2005 BMW, 2010 Escape and wife's 2014 Mazda6, adding small modifications (even something like upgrading interior and exterior lighting, getting interior professionally cleaned and detailed, fix small things that are broken, etc (exterior detailing I do myself, but I can't match what they do with a steam clean for the inside), and most of all, admiring them for how good they've been to us, and how valuable they are to us (used car market is crazy right now). It is a very satisfying feeling and every time I use them I feel more gratitude towards them (i know, I get attached to cars I take care of) and thankful for everything we have been through with them on the road in these past years, esp in 2020 and this year...

So, do NOT settle for less if you are set on a BL+BL (like me) just because you want it "now". Good things do come to those who wait (most of the time) and as far as cars go, in my case, they always have. Here's hoping it would happen again.
I think you make excellent points and now having a 2.0 badlands, other than some extra goat modes, and a few other odds and ends, I don't feel much difference in the 2.0 vs 1.5 ultimately I'd say if at all possible test drive both for similar capacity and decide for yourself. I worried about the advice of dealers suggesting the 2.0 is better. Maybe it will be, I'd guess everyone's needs are their own. My wife convinced me DONT SETTLE BUY WHAT YOU CAN AND WHAT YOU WANT. it's been great in just a week. Ultimately trust your gut. Neither option is a bad one.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)

One thing that has helped me/us a LOT to make "the wait" easier was to make the current fleet as attractive as possible and pay extra attention to maintenance, so that they will be appealing as a trade-in or private sale when the time comes.
Wait till the end of '22? By then you will probably be able to stroll down to the local dealer, see rows of Bronco Sports, and get a great price. I have been shining up my fleet. Wash and wax, detail spray, drag a vacuum cleaner through there, oil changes etc. Make the most of what I have. If all works out someone is going to get a super nice CRV. Don't pay any attention to beater accord in the background that is my son's beater car.

Ford Bronco Sport Buy now or wait?  (Didn't pre-order) CRV and Truck

Cyclenut57

Badlands
First Name
Kristian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I saw the Bronco Sport on the floor while at my local dealership while getting a part for my Grand Marquis.
I went back a week later with the wife and test drove the Big Bend and Badlands
Both were surprisingly smooth with the 8 speed transmission.
I couldn’t resist the technology on the Badlands drive train (not to mention the HP differencevs the Big Bend and the off road tire package wasn’t that loud either vs the all terrain tire package on the Big Bend
They had one on the lot with everything I wanted so I jumped on it after checking what other dealerships had listed on their lots.
The more I drive it the more I like it.

Ford Bronco Sport Buy now or wait?  (Didn't pre-order) 9DBBB503-372F-47DC-A540-CCD1D65543B4

JoeyBoy

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Personally, I wouldn’t pay a penny more than MSRP. Actually I probably even wouldn’t pay that. I would want a discount off of MSRP. These are Fords, afterall. They’re not Ferraris or Lamborghinis, where those companies intentionally limit production and have backlog orders for years. Before you know it, there will be hundreds of Bronco Sports on dealer lots, and they’ll be selling them at good discounts. Just like Ford usually does. That what Ford does. There are several Bronco Sports at my local dealer lots (even a Badlands versions too) so don’t believe the hype that they’re becoming rare.

Here’s one possible suggestion... get a Volvo XC40 SUV for 4 months, by using Volvo’s subscription service. It’s called Subscription by Volvo. You can return the vehicle after 4 months, or renew it for another 4 months. No strings attached. The XC40 is $650/mo and a XC60 is $700/mo. That might seem like a lot, but it does include auto insurance and any maintenance costs. Who knows, you might like the Volvo XC40 And decide to keep it. The interiors are pretty nice. Nice technology too. I considered it for a while I wait for the BMW X3 LCI to get released in September. I still may try it for a temporary solution.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think the BS popularity will cool off once the full size Bronco hits the dealer lots. I can already imagine the price mark up the full size Bronco will have.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Personally, I wouldn’t pay a penny more than MSRP. Actually I probably even wouldn’t pay that. I would want a discount off of MSRP. These are Fords, afterall. They’re not Ferraris or Lamborghinis, where those companies intentionally limit production and have backlog orders for years. Before you know it, there will be hundreds of Bronco Sports on dealer lots, and they’ll be selling them at good discounts. Just like Ford usually does. That what Ford does. There are several Bronco Sports at my local dealer lots (even a Badlands versions too) so don’t believe the hype that they’re becoming rare.

Here’s one possible suggestion... get a Volvo XC40 SUV for 4 months, by using Volvo’s subscription service. It’s called Subscription by Volvo. You can return the vehicle after 4 months, or renew it for another 4 months. No strings attached. The XC40 is $650/mo and a XC60 is $700/mo. That might seem like a lot, but it does include auto insurance and any maintenance costs. Who knows, you might like the Volvo XC40 And decide to keep it. The interiors are pretty nice. Nice technology too. I considered it for a while I wait for the BMW X3 LCI to get released in September. I still may try it for a temporary solution.
while your sentiment seems possible...look at dealer lots of any branding right now. There aren't many vehicles on many lots. While I agree once things correct there could be a surplus. I would argue it may be a year by the time it does correct the way things are going. The limits aren't dealer or brand initiated, they are politics initiated and the dent is real. Likewise, most people looking at a bronco sport, probably aren't looking for a $700 car payment. That's just my read on the perspective. There are hundreds of other options and a volvo at that price wouldn't be one.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
I think we are looking at low inventory high prices rest of this year and well into "22. But eventually Bronco Sports will be every where sitting in rows on dealer lots. Every neighborhood every parking lot every street you'll see a BS. Dealers wont be able to mark them up. Competitors will up their game. But my guess its gonna be a year or more till we see those market conditions

DCBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT
I'm waiting until late '22 at the earliest.

I was either going to trade in my '13 Equinox at 65,000 miles, or replace the tires and brakes; given the dealer markups for the Bronco Sport and the lack of BL/BL availability with the features I want, I have chosen to keep and maintain the Equinox until the supply chain stabilizes and prices come back down.
Sponsored