Buy now or wait? (Didn't pre-order)

Goleta Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
I am new to the forum and apologize for being poorly educated about things. I didn't reserve a BS, and now I guess I cannot. With the high demand and low supply, dealers in my area are selling for up to $10,000 over MSRP. So, I blew it by waiting. Anyhow, there are some BS's out there. Curious to know what y'all think -- is it better to buy now at a high cost, or wait? I know no one really knows when - or if - prices will come down. I probably can't get a BL, but would be happy with a BB at this point.
Sponsored

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
You can still order all trims except Badlands and First Editions. No more sun roofs for rest of "21 model year. So Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks can still be special ordered. Also, dealers are receiving new stock all the time. Some more then others. The Badlands are still being built delivered but can no longer be ordered. Most Badlands are sold before they arrive at dealers. So if you must have Badlands you will have to find dealer that has one coming in and make a deal.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I am new to the forum and apologize for being poorly educated about things. I didn't reserve a BS, and now I guess I cannot. With the high demand and low supply, dealers in my area are selling for up to $10,000 over MSRP. So, I blew it by waiting. Anyhow, there are some BS's out there. Curious to know what y'all think -- is it better to buy now at a high cost, or wait? I know no one really knows when - or if - prices will come down. I probably can't get a BL, but would be happy with a BB at this point.
Personal perspective. Depends on what your needs, budget, and patience are. If you truly aren't in a hurry and waiting is not a big deal, I'd wait. Odds are, the Sports will level out, and when the MY22 editions startup, they won't be worse and possibly may have some bugs worked out, and new features or options that would be appealing. Nothing is free.
The demand is very high, and every manufacturer is against a wall. Predictions are, we are JUST beginning the REAL chip shortage, and it's about to get worse before it gets better. I don't see jeeps or any other ORV as an easy out, even those are getting hard to come by.
If you are unwilling (and I would say you SHOULD be) to pay well beyond MSRP with or even without A/Z/X plan options, there is no reason you should need to pay over and above.
How far will you go? Cali assuming you live in the west, may not have as many lot vehicles available. What MAY help you out are the delays. In my case, I did pre-order/order in March. The delays put my order behind the eightball, and to this point, it hasn't entered production but does have a VIN. In the delays, I searched local dealers and one that I started with had the badlands edition I wanted, the only thing different from my direct order was a $130 cargo system which wasn't a deal-breaker. I bought the one available and I am in the first week of enjoying the decision. My order is still being built and will end up dealer stock. I have a feeling there will be a quick surge once the Bronco sport line returns to production, allegedly next week.

options
1) wait because you can, and it's the most sensible option (but could drag out for several months, maybe a year)
2)decide what you must have, and what isn't as important, and find one on a lot (may not be the color, configuration you want, but it's a sport and that's what matters)
3)Diligence, search, search daily, weekly, and seek opportunity. I have a feeling it will happen, but region, availability, personal options, all those may be a deterrent
4)consider options. How reasonable is it to fly somewhere, buy what you want, and have one heck of a drive home? pretty extreme but there are bronco sports available. Some regions like Michigan have an abundance of them. But that's a long way from Cali. I can tell you there is a Area 51 Badlands with Tow and bigger tires being built at some point in the Detroit area fwiw.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Some times customer ordered Badlands arrive and customer fails to show up so dealer sells them. But demand very high supply very low. You have to decide what you want and how long you can wait.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
What 13Mike said....

Laura

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I just ordered an OB+OB (-moonroof) with tow and 360+ on 4/30. I have no idea what my timeline looks like, but I’m fine with that for now. If something hits the lot and it is very similar, I could be swayed to buy. Some things I reallllly want are the 360+ for the adaptive cruise, Navy Pier interior, and remote start. That limits the likelihood that my dream car will hit the lot before I receive my order.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I just ordered an OB+OB (-moonroof) with tow and 360+ on 4/30. I have no idea what my timeline looks like, but I’m fine with that for now. If something hits the lot and it is very similar, I could be swayed to buy. Some things I reallllly want are the 360+ for the adaptive cruise, Navy Pier interior, and remote start. That limits the likelihood that my dream car will hit the lot before I receive my order.
this may not apply to you, both dealers I worked with said, anything ordered after 5/1 pretty much expect October delivery at the very earliest.
And Badlands vs Big Bend, the badlands has a lot of nice features, I test drove several Big Bend's, and they weren't lacking for any fun or many features. It's not settling if that's what you can get your hands on. The Big Bend is plenty peppy and has off road capable setup. Is it baja race challenge ready...probably not. And neither IS MY badlands I'm just not that talented no matter what I have :)

Laura

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
this may not apply to you, both dealers I worked with said, anything ordered after 5/1 pretty much expect October delivery at the very earliest.
And Badlands vs Big Bend, the badlands has a lot of nice features, I test drove several Big Bend's, and they weren't lacking for any fun or many features. It's not settling if that's what you can get your hands on. The Big Bend is plenty peppy and has off road capable setup. Is it baja race challenge ready...probably not. And neither IS MY badlands I'm just not that talented no matter what I have :)
Badlands are very hard to find here, but that’s probably okay because I’m underwhelmed by the interior options. Lots of BB on the lots but I’m concerned with the lack of remote start just because my dog is with me a lot of the time and I live in TX. I’m still baffled by the lack of 360+ on the FE because that would be the holy grail. The 360+ is the singular thing I won’t compromise on. Traffic is way too crappy here to start going without again.

Laura

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Also, the tighter inventory gets, the fewer dealers are willing to honor Z-plan pricing.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Badlands are very hard to find here, but that’s probably okay because I’m underwhelmed by the interior options. Lots of BB on the lots but I’m concerned with the lack of remote start just because my dog is with me a lot of the time and I live in TX. I’m still baffled by the lack of 360+ on the FE because that would be the holy grail. The 360+ is the singular thing I won’t compromise on. Traffic is way too crappy here to start going without again.
BB has remote start lock and unlock through apple car play and it’s free.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
Dealer around me lists three Badlands but its the typical they dont have them yet. But for someone not in hurry a deal might be to be made on those. I have another dealer has Big Bends and Outer Banks on lot at sticker minus rebate. But those wont sit long. Then other dealers big mark ups over sticker. So it varies a lot dealer to dealer what they have, what they have coming in, and price. But demand crazy high supply very low and lot of dealers have none...

Laura

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
BB has remote start lock and unlock through apple car play and it’s free.
So when I look on the comparison tool, it says remote start system not available and even when I try to build one that way, it won’t let me. This would be my first Ford though, so there’s a lot I don’t know.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
So when I look on the comparison tool, it says remote start system not available and even when I try to build one that way, it won’t let me. This would be my first Ford though, so there’s a lot I don’t know.
I think he means you can start lock unlock through your cell phone. With ford pass app I thought I saw post about that.

BayBrownBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I think he means you can start lock unlock through your cell phone. With ford pass app I thought I saw post about that.
That's correct. My Badlands doesn't have remote start on the fob - but I can lock/unlock from just about any place or distance from the car, via the Fordpass app on my phone. I used it just today, to lock the doors and do a remote start this morning.

OP
OP
Goleta Jim

Goleta Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
You can still order all trims except Badlands and First Editions. No more sun roofs for rest of "21 model year. So Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks can still be special ordered. Also, dealers are receiving new stock all the time. Some more then others. The Badlands are still being built delivered but can no longer be ordered. Most Badlands are sold before they arrive at dealers. So if you must have Badlands you will have to find dealer that has one coming in and make a deal.
Good to know! Thank you very much!
Sponsored