Base
First Name
Willem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 BS
Today I chat with friend and he say:

(1) The Bronco Sport is a great vehicle.
(2) But it should not be called a “Bronco.”
Sponsored

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT

Everybody has an opinion.

The Bronco Sport is more Bronco than the Mach-E is Mustang. (electric, SUV)

Last edited:

tifpwg

Outer Banks
First Name
Tif
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

? Then what should it be called? Lol. Your friend sounds like the same people that said to me, the Bronco Sport is a "chick car".

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
My response is:

I didn’t name it, I just bought it.

The same could be said for the full size four door. Again, unless you work for Ford in the naming department, why would they care?

kino

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BS; '18 GC Trailhawk V8 ; ‘22 Explr ST ordered
Just call it a "Filly" and everything will be ok.

I'll keep proudly calling it a Bronco Sport and walk away.

760Bronco

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Tell them “I know you aren’t smart enough to understand marketing, but…”

if it was the escape sport, how many people would have shown interest? 1/2 or 1/4 of the interest they have gotten by calling it bronco sport?

when it comes down to it they are trying to form Bronco into its own sub-brand of ford. So far it’s working… What difference does the name make at the end of the day?

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport, 1973 Bronco Explorer
I've owned a 1971, a 1974, and currently own a 1973 Bronco and I 100% agree the Bronco Sport deserves to be called a Bronco.

Let's not forget that a large reason the originals were successful was the fact that they rode well both off AND on the pavement compared to CJs, FJs and Scouts. They were intended to be the all-in-one vehicle that goes everywhere. Whether that's just a grocery trip or out in the wild. It's the precursor to many of today's small SUVs and the Bronco Sport is no exception.

There's plenty of design language separation from the Escape, and since the Bronco name holds a lot of weight, it makes sense that a smaller version should borrow some of the original's credibility.

Is the name original? Not really. But as soon as you say "Bronco", you already know what its all about.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
1) the Sport is an amazing innovation in compact, durable off-road savvy, on road smooth. It does everything I could possibly want with a smaller footprint. I've seen plenty of Broncos in my area, it's a different vehicle and not what I want. My badlands was a beast all winter.

2)To paraphrase...but you should not call someone like that a friend...my two cents.

Last edited:

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Absolutely still a Bronco indeed. I really think everybody forgets that there’s already precedent for Ford using Bronco as a sub brand to market 2 different vehicles in the same showroom at the same time. Honestly it’s a good idea, I agree with above poster who said there wouldn’t nearly be the interest in the ‘Sport’ if it was branded as something else. That’s not to be cynical, that is marketing & reality.

Not sure how to explain it, but I think if you were designing a Bronco today without 60 years of history to go off of, given the design direction, you’d likely end up with something very close to the Sport. To me I think it upholds the spirit of the original as well as the bigger one.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco v. Bronco sport 1648865147529

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco v. Bronco sport 1648865377637

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder how people are reacting to the Maverick? Maybe most aren’t old enough to remember the original Maverick. Looked nothing like a pick up.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely still a Bronco indeed. I really think everybody forgets that there’s already precedent for Ford using Bronco as a sub brand to market 2 different vehicles in the same showroom at the same time. Honestly it’s a good idea, I agree with above poster who said there wouldn’t nearly be the interest in the ‘Sport’ if it was branded as something else. That’s not to be cynical, that is marketing & reality.

Not sure how to explain it, but I think if you were designing a Bronco today without 60 years of history to go off of, given the design direction, you’d likely end up with something very close to the Sport. To me I think it upholds the spirit of the original as well as the bigger one.
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco v. Bronco sport 1648865147529

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco v. Bronco sport 1648865377637
My first new vehicle was almost a ‘76 Bronco. Couldn’t quite swing it financially so I bought a end of model year Mach 1. Almost pulled the trigger on a “bald” custom ‘78 but kept the Mustang since it was basically loaded. The Bronco has changed plenty from the original in ‘66. The spirit survives as a vehicle that serves many purposes. These are no where near as spartan as the original and neither are the full size Bronco’s. People need to get over it. It’s just a name meant to help promote a vehicle.

Reactions: MJE

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
A guy at work (owner of several lifted/customized jeeps) when talking about the Bronco/Bronco Sport said "one is for off road and one is for the mall." There's a very serious lack of understanding about the actual capabilities of the Sport, especially the Badlands. I doubt if this misperception of the BS will go away easily.
Sponsored