Sueforand

Badlands
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Bug Conv. Dune
Is it true that this Bronco Sport is nothing more than a 4WD Escape?
Sponsored

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
While it is sorta true, and the review linked above is a good review of that, it should also be noted that the same is true for virtually any small or mid sized SUV on the market, where the platform is shared with street cars and the SUVs.

You'd only get a dedicated off road design with the Wrangler series, or the new Bronco, or the off roaders that are more based on truck platforms.

So.. what is it that you actually want/need?

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Having owned the classic Escape (an '06) for many years, and now a modern crossover ('16 CX-5), I would differentiate the two styles differently than that article, which called the new Escape's styling more refined. The Bronco Sport, like the early Escapes, is basically a scaled-down classic SUV, on a unibody chassis. To me, that styling has isn't only about offroading as it is general utility. It holds cargo better than the jellybean CUV's as most of us do not haul conformal cargo, rather stuff that fits in a boxy shape. Additionally, the shape offers much better visibility and ease of maneuverability both on a fireroad and a parking lot.
I basically had to replace the Escape with two vehicles (CX-5 and Colorado) to get enough capability to replace my commuter and hauler, which my old Escape did admirably. I hope the Bronco does that at least as well.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
That's a terrible article. It barely touches on the off road worthiness of the BS vs the Escape.

The 4WD on the Bronco isn't that simple of a 4WD, though

It doesn't even mention the crawl mode, different 4x4 implimentation of the B-Sport, lockable 4L and 4H modes, the locking rear diff, and the many dedicated off road modes, 24" water fording capacity, rubberized flooring, silicon sealed/rubberized switch gear, front tow hooks, 180 degree camera, 8.8" ground clearance, and the many accessories that can be had with the Bronco Sport.
Not to mention the approach / departure / breakover angles are pretty different (better)
And the wheels and A/T tire options available

True not ALL these are available on all trims but you CAN get them if you need to - although based on the Escape, the Bronco Sport is quite a different animal, I think

Although this is not a comparison, it does give some important specs/stats of the Bronco Sport, and one can just see if the Escape offers that:

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
That's a terrible article. It barely touches on the off road worthiness of the BS vs the Escape.

The 4WD on the Bronco isn't that simple of a 4WD, though

It doesn't even mention the crawl mode, different 4x4 implimentation of the B-Sport, lockable 4L and 4H modes, the locking rear diff, and the many dedicated off road modes, 24" water fording capacity, rubberized flooring, silicon sealed/rubberized switch gear, front tow hooks, 180 degree camera, 8.8" ground clearance, and the many accessories that can be had with the Bronco Sport.
Not to mention the approach / departure / breakover angles are pretty different (better)
And the wheels and A/T tire options available

True not ALL these are available on all trims but you CAN get them if you need to - although based on the Escape, the Bronco Sport is quite a different animal, I think

Although this is not a comparison, it does give some important specs/stats of the Bronco Sport, and one can just see if the Escape offers that:

Good points. I think it will hold itself up as more than a escape. I will add though that because it does share a lot of parts with the escape, it should be less susceptible to year one hiccups. All in all good things.

MDCDOC

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS, Roadster
Good points. I think it will hold itself up as more than a escape. I will add though that because it does share a lot of parts with the escape, it should be less susceptible to year one hiccups. All in all good things.
✔Definitely more than an Escape in capability(for the most part) and style.
✔Great point on year one hiccups.

Great looking sub compact SUV. Like that it's in the Bronco family and designed by same team that designed the bigger Broncos. People will try to poke holes in it.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a great point re: 1st year hiccups. That was the main reason I decided to wait until year 2. But you're right: the relationship with the Escape should be a predictor for MOST areas of reliability...

BUT:
Although I know powertrain in general is Escape-based, I wonder how the trans and PTU will perform with the added 4WD modes, and lockable settings, crawl mode and all that on the Bronco Sport. I do think that Badlands does get active cooling for the trans. (PTU also? not sure).

Any thoughts on that area?

ALSO: Is there a comparo anywhere between the exterior dimensions of the 2nd gen "boxy" Escape and the Bronco-Sport? I would be really interested to know how it compares to the 2nd gen boxy escape in size....

EDIT: found the info: the BS is a few inches larger in every dimension, except the length.

2010 Escape:

Liftover Height (in)29.6
Wheelbase (in)103.1
Length, Overall (in)174.7
Width, Max w/o mirrors (in)71.1
Height, Overall (in)67.9
Track Width, Front (in)60.7
Track Width, Rear (in)60.2

Bronco Sport:
Wheelbase (in.)105.1
Length (in.)172.7
Vehicle height (without options) (1.5L / 2.0L/First Edition) (in.)70.2/71.4/74.4
Vehicle width with mirrors (in.)82.2
Vehicle width without mirrors (in.)74.3
Vehicle width with mirrors folded (in.)76.3
Track, front (in.)63.4
Track, rear (in.)62.8

Last edited:

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was surprised by the width too....
So this is more of a box than even the boxy escape....

Wonder what makes the 1st Edition taller than the rest... (that's 7" taller than my 2010 Escape!!???)

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Wonder what makes the 1st Edition taller than the rest... (that's 7" taller than my 2010 Escape!!???)
Perhaps they had to add headroom for the big ego driving the crème de la crème version. :)

Last edited:

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I was surprised by the width too....
So this is more of a box than even the boxy escape....

I think it's that the crossbars on the roof are standard on the FE.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep - makes sense. That's gotta be it.
I think BL has side rails but cross bars are optional - adds up.

tpharrison

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer, F250, Escape, Bronco Sport preordered
I have a 2017 Escape and I am wondering if the following features are on the Bronco Sport Badlands-Badlands. My guess is in parentheses.

- Auto headlamps (?)
- Liftgate activation from drivers position (No)
- Rain sensing wipers (?)
- Universal garage door opener (No)
- Active park assist (No)

I am really interested in having auto headlamps and rain sensing wipers. Does anyone know if these are available?

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
- Auto headlamps (?) With that having been a feature on my 2010 Escape, even in the most base trim, with LED headlights and all on the Bronco I am pretty sure YES. Can't find it listed as such but VERY probably YES
EDIT: YES: Listed under BL when you go to "compare models" feature: listed as "Auto High-Beam Headlamps" (So, if it has auto for high beam function, it def has auto-on headlamps)

- Liftgate activation from drivers position (No)
- Listed as "manual liftgate" - hard to say - my 2010 Escape can do it from the outside key pad - and BS has outside keypad. But not sure if there's a button or lever from driver's area: I hope so: the all-electric liftgate actuator failed on my 2010 Escape. So I hope there is some backup system. I hope "MANUAL liftgate" means that it has a lever OR a button inside somwhere. I also don't see a button or a switch beside where the rear view camera is, but perhaps it's hard to see. My 2010 Escape can open the glass with remote key fob. Hope they retained that function

- Rain sensing wipers (?)listed clearly under the Ford 360 Copilot on OB trim - curiously NOT listed under BL or FE trims (Honestly, I'd prefer NOT to have those; they never work as intended; either too sensitive or vice versa) - Again, I highly doubt this feature will be omitted from 360 package in BL trim but available on OB trim... hard to know for sure. This is another reason to wait for 2022 - features like this often become standard or widely available in later model years.

- Universal garage door opener (No) - again, hard to imagine NOT being included in some package like BL, but can't see it listed. A car that has a heated steering wheel, remote start, reverse sensing, and an auto dimming rear view mirror NOT having a garage door opener would seem weird. (Again 2022 will prob include this if not in 1st year)
EDIT: Scanned all the 360 degree pics - can't see anything like a garage door opener - kinda surprising.... But then these are the kind of features I always think will become available later ...

- Active park assist (No) - NO. Never seen it mentioned.
Sponsored

Last edited: