NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
The only time I liked a manual transmission was granny gear going downhill so I didn't ride the brakes. Most of my driving is on pavement, so I won't ever own a manual again.

I got stuck in a big mud hole once because I went into it in too high a gear. If I'd had an automatic, I would have made it out. The front wheels climbed up on solid ground and the engine bogged, and I slid back into it. I had mud a foot up on the driver's door.
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I would have ordered it in a heartbeat! The 2 full-size I have is manual. I probably wouldn’t have ordered it if it wasn’t. I’ve had manual transmissions cars and trucks for 50 years. I learned on a 50’s Chevy with a three on the tree.
I learned on a 64 VW Beetle. I have always wondered how many learned how to drive a manual on a VW.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I learned on a 64 VW Beetle. I have always wondered how many learned how to drive a manual on a VW.
Both my kids learned to drive using a manual and that was in the 90’s. If they wanted to drive, that was their only option. My daughter learned when she was 13 or 14.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
The only time I liked a manual transmission was granny gear going downhill so I didn't ride the brakes. Most of my driving is on pavement, so I won't ever own a manual again.

I got stuck in a big mud hole once because I went into it in too high a gear. If I'd had an automatic, I would have made it out. The front wheels climbed up on solid ground and the engine bogged, and I slid back into it. I had mud a foot up on the driver's door.
I’m not a big fan of mud either. I enjoy the technical aspect of off roading. I suppose it can be argued that there is a technical aspect of mudding but it’s just not my thing. When we first started off roading, or only options were manual transmissions. It wasn’t until the mid 70’s that they started putting automatics in Jeeps and Bronco’s and we couldn’t afford the newer ones so….

HUSBANDOFBS

Big Bend
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BB
HA! My first solo driving was in my Dad's '66 Blue Beetle in '72. Started grabbing it while he was not looking and buzzing our street. Did manage to clear out a ditch or three.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
1963 Ford F100 with a straight-six and manual three-on-the-tree. My leg was barely long enough to fully depress the clutch pedal; had to scootch forward in the seat a bit.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford F100 with a straight-six and manual three-on-the-tree. My leg was barely long enough to fully depress the clutch pedal; had to scootch forward in the seat a bit.
And On a 58 Chevy Apache I owned...to start the truck, you turned the key to on, then pressed the round push lever by the gas pedal that engaged the starter.

I want that back.

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
And On a 58 Chevy Apache I owned...to start the truck, you turned the key to on, then pressed the round push lever by the gas pedal that engaged the starter.

I want that back.
Key…yes, i heard this on last man standing with tim allen and his studebaker: “it’s not a car without an ignition key” hehe

Ironman482

Big Bend
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco sport
I would have bought a two door BS with a manual if it was available back in Nov 23 when I got my big bend , all I ever owned is manual Trans, still have a 05 dodge 3500 6sp , 05 jeep TJ converted to NV 4500, a 91 bronco with 5speed , so no problem with manuals although at 68yrs old I do appreciate the auto in stop and go traffic.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
Well, maybe with all the battery issues these vehicles have a manual would make sense. We used to park our truck facing downhill, so if the battery was dead, we could push start it. I'm guessing these BSs wouldn't start that way even with a manual transmission.

The big advantage of manual transmissions was gas mileage, because the automatic transmissions slipped. Once they figured out how to stop that, automatics outsold manuals. In those days, you paid extra for a automatic. Now, you pay extra for a manual.

My first car was a 1947 Chevy. I wouldn't go back to that for any reason. It also had the starter button on the floor. I was pushing it down the road to try and start it when a garbage truck pulled up next to me and asked how much I wanted for it. I sold it for $100.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, maybe with all the battery issues these vehicles have a manual would make sense. We used to park our truck facing downhill, so if the battery was dead, we could push start it. I'm guessing these BSs wouldn't start that way even with a manual transmission.

The big advantage of manual transmissions was gas mileage, because the automatic transmissions slipped. Once they figured out how to stop that, automatics outsold manuals. In those days, you paid extra for a automatic. Now, you pay extra for a manual.

My first car was a 1947 Chevy. I wouldn't go back to that for any reason. It also had the starter button on the floor. I was pushing it down the road to try and start it when a garbage truck pulled up next to me and asked how much I wanted for it. I sold it for $100.
I would have offered two hundred.
Sponsored