KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2021 Ranger Tremor
Someone screen shot I can’t view because I don’t have fb.
I don’t have fb either, just scroll down without x-ing out the login screen
Sponsored

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Wow….just wow….
Purchasing off roading for dummies……

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
I givem props for giving it a go ... plenty of vehicles considered more "offroad capable" have met the same fate... id say it is certainly possible in q sport ... and im not gonna chalk it up to driver error... but id personally want a little more clearance and someone experienced walking me through it.... but at the end of the day... no matter experience, or vehicle, or conditions... shit can go sideways real quick... kinda the nature of the game.... welcome to the thunder dome. Glad it sounds like everyone was relatively ok.

Be safe.
Be smart.
Be ready to accept the consequences.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
Headline/ title should read DRIVER fails Black Bear Pass.

Been over the pass a few times in vehicles far less capable than my Bronco Sport. Have not attempted in the Sport. IMO, Black Bear isn’t that big of a deal, but can be intimidating. It can be tricky for trail novices and I’ve seen some bad things happen when people don’t keep their speed under control or get too confident. Sometimes there are too many people or some who go extra slow to keep things within their comfort zone. Situations that lead to others getting impatient.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Looks like he also was doing it with the all season continentals as you can read the tire in one picture. What was he thinking???

Last edited:

Bronco7221

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Nitro
Headline/ title should read DRIVER fails Black Bear Pass.

Been over the pass a few times in vehicles far less capable than my Bronco Sport. Have not attempted in the Sport. IMO, Black Bear isn’t that big of a deal, but can be intimidating. It can be tricky for trail novices and I’ve seen some bad things happen when people don’t keep their speed under control or get too confident. Sometimes there are too many people or some who go extra slow to keep things within their comfort zone. Situations that lead to others getting impatient.

I’d be curious to hear what vehicles you have completed the pass in, especially the Steps. We took our BS BL to the spot where it turns to one way and I can agree that it isn’t too bad up to that point. While I agree that the BS BL could do the full pass with experience, I believe it would be difficult due to the ground clearance and another couple of inches could certainly help.

Bronco7221

Badlands
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Nitro
If you read the update from the San Miguel Sheriffs Office it states that the drivers were going UP the switchbacks and hadn’t seen the One Way sign. After a couple of switchbacks they attempted to turn around and that is when they rolled down the hill.

Doesn’t seem to be that the driver came from the true starting point of the pass or were intentially trying to go over the pass.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
It can happen to anyone due to driver, bad luck, tires etc. check out this video and at 3:17 you see the Jeep Wrangler. Many a good off road vehicle has been destroyed on black bear pass

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
The Driver failed, very obvious.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
It can happen to anyone due to driver, bad luck, tires etc. check out this video and at 3:17 you see the Jeep Wrangler. Many a good off road vehicle has been destroyed on black bear pass

I want to say in this case, if I read this right a while back, the driver got out of the vehicle and did not put it in park or set the parking brake, or something to that effect. The jeep rolled and went over the edge.

OP
OP
Bronclahoma

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looks like he also was doing it with the all season continentals as you can read the tire in one picture. What was he thinking???
I noticed that and thought the same. There is one place on Black Bear that often has water and traffic through there puts water on a solid rock exit that slopes toward a sheer drop off. Maybe the Continetals would even be better here. But, NO. I wouldn't attempt Black Bear without some aggressive off road tread.

We really don't know the details and should probably withhold judgement on driver error, but running Black Bear with these tires says to me this guy is a novice.
Sponsored