Eddie W.

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Two inches on a short wheelbase vehicle makes a big difference. I added that on my Jeep Liberty, and it made a big difference off-road.
Good point about the short wheelbase, Mike đź‘Ť
Sponsored

Last edited:

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Eddie W.: Looks great. Love those 245/65/R17's Nitto RidgeGrapplers! I have the bolt on fenders too and used spaces to get a similar look but I think your tires are much more aggressive than the 235/65/17 Falkens I have. How do you like the ride quality (sound)?

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
Love the look! I see you have the Fender Flares and Mud Flaps. Which of each do you have, the OEM ones state you cant have both at the same time. I installed Weather Tech Mud Flaps and would love to also have the Fender Flares.

OP
OP
Eddie W.

Eddie W.

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Eddie W.: Looks great. Love those 245/65/R17's Nitto RidgeGrapplers! I have the bolt on fenders too and used spaces to get a similar look but I think your tires are much more aggressive than the 235/65/17 Falkens I have. How do you like the ride quality (sound)?
Hey thanks, Rodney- Yeah, the riveted fender flares are nice, right? For me, throwing them on was a no-brainer. As far as the Ridge Grapplers go, they’re surprisingly quiet! I mean like perfectly quiet. No more noise than all-seasons. Nitto knows their stuff.

OP
OP
Eddie W.

Eddie W.

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Love the look! I see you have the Fender Flares and Mud Flaps. Which of each do you have, the OEM ones state you cant have both at the same time. I installed Weather Tech Mud Flaps and would love to also have the Fender Flares.
Hey Allen- Yeah, I see on Ford’s website what you’re mentioning in regard to the flaps & flares negating each other. I have no idea what that’s about. Mine’s a 2021, and I got the “splash guards” (as opposed to “mud flaps”) along with Fender Flare Kit 1 as options when I bought it thru Ford. Persevere, & good luck!

Kraken23

Badlands
First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL
Hey Allen- Yeah, I see on Ford’s website what you’re mentioning in regard to the flaps & flares negating each other. I have no idea what that’s about. Mine’s a 2021, and I got the “splash guards” (as opposed to “mud flaps”) along with Fender Flare Kit 1 as options when I bought it thru Ford. Persevere, & good luck!
Thanks for the info.

chapman919

Big Bend
First Name
Noelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Hey Art4All… What I did added 2 inches. An inch & a half from the lift, and half an inch from the tires. So not a ton, but 2 inches ain’t bad. I’m satisfied with the height at this point.
I am also new to this. I have the big bend 2022. I hate my wheels and want bigger ones and maybe a small lift. Could you help me decide with a size and a lift betwwen 1 and 2 inches(I am 5'3, so not too much)? I love my bronco sport just not the stock wheels. Thanks.

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Chapman919:

Oh man, there is a good thread on this I think it's under Meanderthal's Olive Thread.

I won't pretend that I understand it all, I drive a mouse for a living (data analyst).
In other words, do your own research, keep in mind I'm new. I'm not responsible for what you do, just trying to help.

Keeping the above in mind... Here's what I've gleaned at a high level:
  • Lift kits, there are several out there and quite a few posts regarding each. I would advise doing some searches and reading what others say. I think (may be wrong) HRG was first, and they showed some very cool vids of what they can do offroad; however, I went with https://fordrangerlifts.com/. Not sure I had alot of logic in my decision as I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm very happy with it now. Note: Some lifts are like 2-3" now, I would be wary of the impact of lifting high and changing how your Sport drives. I have a badlands and went with a 1.75" lift for my ride. LOVE IT, even drives better in my opinion.
  • I don't think the lift kit will impact the size of tire you get (may be wrong).
  • I believe most Sports come with 225/65/17 tires, I have the 235/65/17 Upgrade (Falken AT's). I will say I'm kinda impressed with them, but I do think I'm going to try to do something more aggressive (Likely the Toyo's).
  • My understanding is you can go to 245/65/17's without serious complications, others seem to push it abit farther, but I think my risk comfort level is lower than theres.
  • There is one serious caveat to the 245/65/17 "guideline" above If you add Spacers (I'm enjoying mine) or get new rims with a different Offset then you may be limited to 235/65/17.
  • As to tires, there are many websites out there that have different tire offers, but www.tirerack.com has been suggested by several other users.
  • If you don't have spacers and can do the 245/65/17, then some posters have raved about the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires, if you do have Spacers, then stay with the 235/65/17 and look at the Toyo Open Country A/TIII or the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (I believe other uses have suggested these tires).

This is a very high level, you can "play" in this space alot with spacers, rims/wheels, tires and lift.

If you are gettting a lift to go off road then I think you will likely want some armor down low, just a thought...

Be sure to look at what others have said, this group has been awesome!

RR

OP
OP
Eddie W.

Eddie W.

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I am also new to this. I have the big bend 2022. I hate my wheels and want bigger ones and maybe a small lift. Could you help me decide with a size and a lift betwwen 1 and 2 inches(I am 5'3, so not too much)? I love my bronco sport just not the stock wheels. Thanks.
Hey Noelle- The only thing I would add to Rodney’s comprehensive & informative response to your question, is that my girlfriend is 5’3” and she gets in and out of my Outer Banks without any trouble. This is with a 1.5” ReadyLift (1.5” front, 1.5” back), and a half inch increase in height from the 245/65/17 Nitto tires, as opposed to the stock Michelins. So that’s a net gain of 2” in height/lift, and as I said, my girlfriend (without any side steps), gets in the truck with no problem.
Hope that’s helpful!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Chapman919:

Oh man, there is a good thread on this I think it's under Meanderthal's Olive Thread.

I won't pretend that I understand it all, I drive a mouse for a living (data analyst).
In other words, do your own research, keep in mind I'm new. I'm not responsible for what you do, just trying to help.

Keeping the above in mind... Here's what I've gleaned at a high level:
  • Lift kits, there are several out there and quite a few posts regarding each. I would advise doing some searches and reading what others say. I think (may be wrong) HRG was first, and they showed some very cool vids of what they can do offroad; however, I went with https://fordrangerlifts.com/. Not sure I had alot of logic in my decision as I really don't know what I'm doing but I'm very happy with it now. Note: Some lifts are like 2-3" now, I would be wary of the impact of lifting high and changing how your Sport drives. I have a badlands and went with a 1.75" lift for my ride. LOVE IT, even drives better in my opinion.
  • I don't think the lift kit will impact the size of tire you get (may be wrong).
  • I believe most Sports come with 225/65/17 tires, I have the 235/65/17 Upgrade (Falken AT's). I will say I'm kinda impressed with them, but I do think I'm going to try to do something more aggressive (Likely the Toyo's).
  • My understanding is you can go to 245/65/17's without serious complications, others seem to push it abit farther, but I think my risk comfort level is lower than theres.
  • There is one serious caveat to the 245/65/17 "guideline" above If you add Spacers (I'm enjoying mine) or get new rims with a different Offset then you may be limited to 235/65/17.
  • As to tires, there are many websites out there that have different tire offers, but www.tirerack.com has been suggested by several other users.
  • If you don't have spacers and can do the 245/65/17, then some posters have raved about the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 tires, if you do have Spacers, then stay with the 235/65/17 and look at the Toyo Open Country A/TIII or the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (I believe other uses have suggested these tires).

This is a very high level, you can "play" in this space alot with spacers, rims/wheels, tires and lift.

If you are gettting a lift to go off road then I think you will likely want some armor down low, just a thought...

Be sure to look at what others have said, this group has been awesome!

RR
Very good summary Rodney (grasshopper), you have learned well.

I have some information in my build thread which linked in my signature. Not comprehensive but it seems be helping people with the process. The first post in the build thread has links to posts for the different items, so it is somewhat easy to find the info I have posted. Unfortunately there have been some random conversations happen in the thread, which should have had their own threads created.

sideshow346

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD BRONCO SPORT
Welp, I've had my Outer Banks for a year & a half and have finally gotten around to the modifications I've been itching to do;
  • ReadyLIFT 1.5 inch SST Lift Kit
  • ALPHAequipt Foxtrot 17" Wheels
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler 245/65R17 Tires

Big thanks to the fine & friendly folks at Total Performance of Mahwah, NJ for the excellent work & service!

Here are some before & afters;

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Build - 1.5" Readylift Lift Kit, Flares, 17" Wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler A/T Tires 1059D610-2A80-487C-B767-F26F83F0E568
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Build - 1.5" Readylift Lift Kit, Flares, 17" Wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler A/T Tires 3E6DF6A9-07DE-4078-A646-7F2EAB2C5DEF
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Build - 1.5" Readylift Lift Kit, Flares, 17" Wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler A/T Tires C8E7981D-B5AE-4AAB-B7CF-0B8D226F7D7E
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Build - 1.5" Readylift Lift Kit, Flares, 17" Wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler A/T Tires 26D7E2B7-7AD1-4758-AE9A-3A6E4CF65682
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Outer Banks Build - 1.5" Readylift Lift Kit, Flares, 17" Wheels, Nitto Ridge Grappler A/T Tires 2F44EC13-73C7-405D-BB3D-ABB5B1C52547
Looks great!!! I was also considering those rims in black. Did you have to re-calibrate or reset anything after the lift? I just got my OB back with a 1.5 inch rough country lift and new tires and rims. I have to take it back after 50 miles to get the alignment.

OP
OP
Eddie W.

Eddie W.

Outer Banks
First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Looks great!!! I was also considering those rims in black. Did you have to re-calibrate or reset anything after the lift? I just got my OB back with a 1.5 inch rough country lift and new tires and rims. I have to take it back after 50 miles to get the alignment.
Thanks, sideshow! No, I did not have to recalibrate or reset anything.

Jeff31548

Big Bend
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco sport
Thanks, sideshow! No, I did not have to recalibrate or reset anything.
What are you getting for mpg with the ridge grapplers and lift. My 23 BB is going in the shop tomorrow for both. There is not many threads on the ridge grapplers on here about mpg.
Sponsored