Bronco Sport Off-Roading Capabilities

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Has anyone found any videos of Bronco Sport Base, Big Bend, or Outer Banks models off-roading? I know these particular models aren't built to rock climb, but it would be nice to see what their capability is off-road. I keep finding videos of the Badlands and First Edition models off-road.

What advantages does the Bronco Sport (Base, BB, and OB) have over the competition and what is the purpose of these particular models? I was thinking I can get a Rav-4 or Subaru that are just as capable, but I get better gas mileage and they've been out a while to have any issues worked out.

I'm not against the Bronco Sport. I just thought of this question when I was watching a video of a Badlands off-road. :sunglasses:
Sponsored

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi

I’ve have taken my big bend off road twice.

the car is off road capable but it’s not a body on frame truck and won’t perform to that level. It’s a light to moderate off roader. More than a soft roader and less than a dedicated vehicle.

it performs really good for what it is

OP
OP

BroncoFan1

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford

the car is off road capable but it’s not a body on frame truck and won’t perform to that level. It’s a light to moderate off roader. More than a soft roader and less than a dedicated vehicle.

Good job with the video! I really like the editing. Thanks for the information.

OffTheGrid

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Feedback like yours is good to read. Has a sense of fair compairison.
"More than a soft roader and less than a dedicted vehicle"
What is your interpretation of dedicated vehicle?
Dedicated to off-roading?

Last edited:

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
Feedback like yours is good to read. Has a sense of fair compairison.
"More than a soft roader and less than a dedicted vehicle"
What is your interpretation of dedicated vehicle?
Dedicated to off-roading?
yes I view something like a jeep as a poor daily driver, but great off road.

I view a car like the bronco sport as a daily car that can also go off road

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
I was thinking I can get a Rav-4 or Subaru that are just as capable,
I think something a lot of people miss when considering off road capability is durability and damage. There BS will only be able to get to a few more places than a Subaru or RAV4 if at all. The difference is it can do it with less damage. A hyundai Tuscon can make it up Hell’s Revenge in Moab, but it will take a beating to do it. I go places right now in my sedan that it isn’t meant to go and don’t often get stuck. I am getting a BS not to get me more places, but to get to the same places more often without breaking my car or creeping along avoiding every rock. So yes, I will rarely be going places where my current car physically can’t go. But even when I’m soft roading or dirt roading, I will get the benefit of stronger components that are meant to handle more vibration, rocks, and bumps. The extra GOAT modes and 4x4 are bonuses.

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Has anyone found any videos of Bronco Sport Base, Big Bend, or Outer Banks models off-roading? I know these particular models aren't built to rock climb, but it would be nice to see what their capability is off-road. I keep finding videos of the Badlands and First Edition models off-road.

What advantages does the Bronco Sport (Base, BB, and OB) have over the competition and what is the purpose of these particular models? I was thinking I can get a Rav-4 or Subaru that are just as capable, but I get better gas mileage and they've been out a while to have any issues worked out.

I'm not against the Bronco Sport. I just thought of this question when I was watching a video of a Badlands off-road. :sunglasses:
From what I've seen, unless you get the Badlands, there's no reason to get one of these over a Subaru other than personal preference for how the BS looks. The BS def has better approach and departure angles than a Subaru, but that's not an issue as much as people like to think it is, UNLESS you're doing trails that often require more capability than these sorts of vehicles are meant for. I really like how these BSs look, and if I was just now buying a vehicle, I'd strongly consider a BS, but prob decide against it, because they're awfully small inside. Plus, you could get a really nicely set up CPO Outback for like $10k less. My wife has a Rav-4 with AWD but I wouldn't take that off-road, it's AWD system is vastly inferior to Subaru's.

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
From what I've seen, unless you get the Badlands, there's no reason to get one of these over a Subaru other than personal preference for how the BS looks. The BS def has better approach and departure angles than a Subaru, but that's not an issue as much as people like to think it is, UNLESS you're doing trails that often require more capability than these sorts of vehicles are meant for. I really like how these BSs look, and if I was just now buying a vehicle, I'd strongly consider a BS, but prob decide against it, because they're awfully small inside. Plus, you could get a really nicely set up CPO Outback for like $10k less. My wife has a Rav-4 with AWD but I wouldn't take that off-road, it's AWD system is vastly inferior to Subaru's.
I would have to disagree. The 4x4 on the lower trims is still better for off roading than Subaru AWD and the suspension from what I can tell is built with more off roading in mind and will handle high speed bumps a lot better. The approach and departure angles are important for going over erosion prevention berms and similar obstacles. If you get the badlands the advantages are more pronounced with better 4x4, bash plates, more ground clearance, and a more rugged interior.

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
I would have to disagree. The 4x4 on the lower trims is still better for off roading than Subaru AWD and the suspension from what I can tell is built with more off roading in mind and will handle high speed bumps a lot better. The approach and departure angles are important for going over erosion prevention berms and similar obstacles. If you get the badlands the advantages are more pronounced with better 4x4, bash plates, more ground clearance, and a more rugged interior.
The lower trims don't have 4WD. They have AWD. They are front wheel drive cars with the ability to send some power to the rear wheels. And I said the main advantage is approach and departure angles. It's perfectly fine to prefer the rugged looks of a BS, I think they look badass too, but for a driver who is wondering whether the lower trim BS has a decided advantage over a Subaru, the answer is absolutely not for what that driver is likely to use the vehicle for. If you have to ask, it means you aren't off-road enough to be putting a vehicle in positions that require more capability than a Subaru. That's the point here.

Last edited:

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
The bronco sport has more advantages over a Subaru than looks and approach/departure angles. No reason to get one?? maybe a Subaru forum will agree with you
The Badlands does have advantages, the lesser trims don't. My comment is addressed to the person who asked whether lower trims have advantages. As an off-roader who takes a Subaru off-road often, who has owned plenty of full-sized trucks and 4x4s in the past, I stand by my comment, whether or not the BS forum tends to agree. I like the BS too, and am considering buying one, that's why I'm here.

Last edited:

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
The lower trims don't have 4WD. They have AWD. They are front wheel drive cars with the ability to send some power to the rear wheels. And I said the main advantage is approach and departure angles. It's perfectly fine to prefer the rugged looks of a BS, I think they look badass too, but for a driver who is wondering whether the lower trim BS has a decided advantage over a Subaru, the answer is absolutely not for what that driver is likely to use the vehicle for. If you have to ask, it means you aren't off-road enough to be putting a vehicle in positions that require more capability than a Subaru. That's the point here.
I mean, I’m not gonna argue with you. Call it whatever you want, but all trims of Bronco Sport have a drivetrain that is better for off road than Subaru AWD. All trims also have better off roading suspension than Subaru. Those are just the facts. The Ford (all trims) will also be less likely to be damaged off road due to the layout of the underside. Looks have nothing to do with it. Yes the BL trim will be better and have more ground clearance, but the lower trims still have those three advantages over a Subaru off road.

Tom House

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
i understand you believe the badlands is the only trim worth buying over a Subaru. Lots of people agree that the lower trims also have advantages over a Subaru which is why we see all trims being purchased instead of only seeing people with badlands or Subarus.

There are more people purchasing lower trims than only BS forum members, whether or not people with plenty of 4x4s in the past believe there is no reason to.
That's great! Again, I'm not trying to talk people out of buying one, you don't need to convince me of anything. I was addressing the OP who specifically asked.
Sponsored