Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Nice dirt road review, was spot on. I doubt I'll ever end up on any dirt roads any worse than what's shown by the OP.
I haven't gotten stuck yet :p
Sponsored

Siciliano

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Mustang Convertible; 1986 Suzuki Jimny
I'll let you know how it goes. My Big Bend is still stock but it's supposed to be easier than taking it to Barnwell Mountain trails in east texas. Still trying to figure out everything I need to upgrade.
there's also a trail in Bridgeport, northwest of Fort Worth

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
DISCLAIMER: This is a lengthy write-up, so grab your favorite beverage and kick back as you read. Also, I wasn't sure which thread to post this so I figured this thread was as good as any considering it was my first time taking my BS off-road.

I did some research and found some trails in my general area. I found a few that are within 1-2 hours away on trailsoffroad.com. I work in sales and coincidentally, one of my customers is about 15 minutes away from a trail I wanted to try. I had an appointment with them this morning so since I was in the area, I decided to try this trail on my way back home. See the link below to the trail I went on. Watch the embedded YouTube video further down the page for a good idea of the type of trail/how difficult it is.

https://www.trailsoffroad.com/trails/2331-talladega-national-forest-617

I entered the trail on the north side and quickly noticed there was a lot of mud since it had recently rained. I remembered reading that the trail grew considerably more difficult after rainfall.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_164416689_iOS

The first few hundred yards or so were not too bad. I went through some rutted-out mud holes that at first glance looked more challenging than they ended up being. The BS acquitted itself nicely with no problems.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170317501_iOS

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165958523_iOS

I eventually got to a portion of the trail about halfway through that was the first challenging spot. The first section was a rutted out area that led to a narrowing of the path in between embankments with not a lot of room on either side.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165400769_iOS

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170009983_iOS

I put it in Slippery mode and Low gear and made it through all of that no problem, but as I was going up the narrow portion of the trail, I could see a bugaboo upcoming. I circled it in red below. You can't tell from the picture, but the rut was about 4-5 feet across and looked like it could be 2 feet deep or more on the left side. I was by myself so I figured I wouldn't risk it. With a spotter and recovery equipment I may have given it a try.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170009983_iOS (2)_LI

A little disappointed that I wasn't able to finish the trail, I started back the way I came. I came back to an obstacle that I had sort-of bypassed and decided to give it a go. Again in the picture, you can't really tell but I tried going straight through with two deep, rutted-out lanes and a high center. As I went up and started going down through the rut, I drug the front underbody and said NOPE. I backed out and went around. The picture I took is when I came up to it the first time, so I should have taken another picture to get a better angle of what I was actually going through.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165200048_iOS

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165200048_iOS (2)_LI

Overall, I was impressed with the off-road capability of a non-BL trim. I can tell that traction is not an issue and the 4WD system is quite capable. The suspension soaks up bumps and ruts as it should. I recently replaced the stock tires with new 245/65R17 Toyo Open Country ATIII tires and they performed well. I never lost traction or control even in deeper mud. The only issue, as you can surmise, is ground clearance. With the larger tires I have a little over 8", but I would say the BS needs about two more inches. The good thing (that I did not previously know about) is that there is SOME underbody protection. Some may scoff at this, but it does have plastic skid "plates", which is better than nothing! When I scraped the bottom going through the muddy rut, I did not sustain any damage.

Next, I would like to find a trail that is mostly loose rock or gravel and see how it does going up steeper inclines. I'm done with mud for a while because it got absolutely filthy. I hosed her off once I got home and you wouldn't believe the cracks and crevices mud can find it's way to get stuck in.

Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for reading. Cheers!

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170858171_iOS
I agree a couple of more inches ground clearance would increase my confidence on sketchy trails.

BagOJuice

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Been off roading on dirt roads like OP posted and pretty much weekly driving on the beach. The Bronco Sport has handled everything without an issue. Been on both beaches with VERY deep and soft sand to more compact with jagged rocks poking through the surface. Passed by and offered to help many stuck trucks, jeeps etc. Very impressed with the off road capability, get a lot of people stopping by on the beach to take a look at the Badlands also!

Spartan007

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
DISCLAIMER: This is a lengthy write-up, so grab your favorite beverage and kick back as you read. Also, I wasn't sure which thread to post this so I figured this thread was as good as any considering it was my first time taking my BS off-road.

I did some research and found some trails in my general area. I found a few that are within 1-2 hours away on trailsoffroad.com. I work in sales and coincidentally, one of my customers is about 15 minutes away from a trail I wanted to try. I had an appointment with them this morning so since I was in the area, I decided to try this trail on my way back home. See the link below to the trail I went on. Watch the embedded YouTube video further down the page for a good idea of the type of trail/how difficult it is.

I entered the trail on the north side and quickly noticed there was a lot of mud since it had recently rained. I remembered reading that the trail grew considerably more difficult after rainfall.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_164416689_iOS

The first few hundred yards or so were not too bad. I went through some rutted-out mud holes that at first glance looked more challenging than they ended up being. The BS acquitted itself nicely with no problems.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170317501_iOS

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165958523_iOS

I eventually got to a portion of the trail about halfway through that was the first challenging spot. The first section was a rutted out area that led to a narrowing of the path in between embankments with not a lot of room on either side.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165400769_iOS

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170009983_iOS

I put it in Slippery mode and Low gear and made it through all of that no problem, but as I was going up the narrow portion of the trail, I could see a bugaboo upcoming. I circled it in red below. You can't tell from the picture, but the rut was about 4-5 feet across and looked like it could be 2 feet deep or more on the left side. I was by myself so I figured I wouldn't risk it. With a spotter and recovery equipment I may have given it a try.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170009983_iOS (2)_LI

A little disappointed that I wasn't able to finish the trail, I started back the way I came. I came back to an obstacle that I had sort-of bypassed and decided to give it a go. Again in the picture, you can't really tell but I tried going straight through with two deep, rutted-out lanes and a high center. As I went up and started going down through the rut, I drug the front underbody and said NOPE. I backed out and went around. The picture I took is when I came up to it the first time, so I should have taken another picture to get a better angle of what I was actually going through.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165200048_iOS

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_165200048_iOS (2)_LI

Overall, I was impressed with the off-road capability of a non-BL trim. I can tell that traction is not an issue and the 4WD system is quite capable. The suspension soaks up bumps and ruts as it should. I recently replaced the stock tires with new 245/65R17 Toyo Open Country ATIII tires and they performed well. I never lost traction or control even in deeper mud. The only issue, as you can surmise, is ground clearance. With the larger tires I have a little over 8", but I would say the BS needs about two more inches. The good thing (that I did not previously know about) is that there is SOME underbody protection. Some may scoff at this, but it does have plastic skid "plates", which is better than nothing! When I scraped the bottom going through the muddy rut, I did not sustain any damage.

Next, I would like to find a trail that is mostly loose rock or gravel and see how it does going up steeper inclines. I'm done with mud for a while because it got absolutely filthy. I hosed her off once I got home and you wouldn't believe the cracks and crevices mud can find it's way to get stuck in.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport Off-Road Driving Impressions 20210125_170858171_iOS
Thanks for the post! I ended up going with the 235s out of caution/fear lol but am having some regret and wanting to upgrade to 245s. Are you on stock suspension and have you experienced any rubbing or scrapping? How is the drive both on pavement and offroad, any issues? Thank you!

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
Nice write-up and pictures, I haven't taken my big bend off the pavement yet, not sure about the non locking rear diff yet. Just put on a set of K02s so I'm dying to try them out in some easy areas first.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Are you on stock suspension and have you experienced any rubbing or scrapping? How is the drive both on pavement and offroad, any issues?
I am on stock suspension but am about to install the HRG 1.5" lift kit (not out of necessity, but because I want more ground clearance). It's just a spacer lift, so it doesn't replace the stock suspension components other than the sway bar end links.

I have had these tires installed for over a year now, and I have not experienced any rubbing or scraping. You'll see several folks on this forum who have installed 245s without a lift and they all say the same thing. It also drives great both on and off road.

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Nice write-up and pictures, I haven't taken my big bend off the pavement yet, not sure about the non locking rear diff yet. Just put on a set of K02s so I'm dying to try them out in some easy areas first.
The KO2s will greatly increase the Sport's off-road capability, just like they would with any 4WD vehicle on street/all-season tires. Traction is a big factor off-road, and with capable tires, that will no longer be an issue for the BS. The 4WD system is also still very good on non-BL trims, even with an open diff.

baja_bob

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
The KO2s will greatly increase the Sport's off-road capability, just like they would with any 4WD vehicle on street/all-season tires. Traction is a big factor off-road, and with capable tires, that will no longer be an issue for the BS. The 4WD system is also still very good on non-BL trims, even with an open diff.
Yes, I agree, we have gotten some snow here since I got them and there's a big difference in snow traction compare to the stock continentals, even though I went with the stock 225 size.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
I think it's safe to say that this is a fine vehicle for dirt roads and some relatively light mud. It's not a hard-core off-roading machine, but it'll go where you wouldn't want to take a sedan. and the BL has true wheel locking for some added help, but still not something you'll ever take rock crawling.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
The 4WD system is also still very good on non-BL trims, even with an open diff.
There are plenty of Jeeps--the off-road king!--running around without locking diffs. They may make up for it in other areas, but locking diffs are not the be-all, end-all.

DatWayMon

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
and the BL has true wheel locking for some added help, but still not something you'll ever take rock crawling.
You may never take it rock crawling, but it's more than capable. The link shows a BL climbing Hells Gate on Hells Revenge in Moab, UT.

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
You may never take it rock crawling, but it's more than capable. The link shows a BL climbing Hells Gate on Hells Revenge in Moab, UT.

Wow - I am surprised...and impressed.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco

Spartan007

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

How do you like the Toyos performance on pavement? (Acceleration, steering feel, noise etc.). Looking at throwing that size on my BL but don't want to sacrifice any on-road performance (Majority of driving on-road). Thanks!
Sponsored