Bronco Sport instead of Maverick?

ListedGuru

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Wondering if anyone here has gone with a BS instead of a Maverick? We have two Mav's on order (1 hybrid, 1 EB) and as each scheduling day passes it becomes more worrisome that either one will get built. At this point I would be shocked if our hybrid were to get built but I guess maybe the EB Mav get's build. Anyway I'm curious if anyone here can comment on going with a BS instead of a Mav or maybe someone here owns both?

This would be for my wife who's Ford Edge lease is up in another month or so. Her last two vehicles have been Edge's so she's looking for something different this time. We've never driven a Maverick or a BS for that matter,lol. We do get A plan pricing and there are tons of BS on lots around us so that's a plus.

Any insight would be great. Maybe someone here can compare the driving experience between the Ford Edge and the BS as well?
Sponsored

2013LIPK01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Rav4
I have a 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid ordered and just put in an order for an Outer Banks last week. Gas mileage will be worse, but it'll actually show up.

I know the maverick people post the scheduling info every week, but I haven't been able to find any recent info like that for the Bronco Sport so I'm not really sure what kinda timeline I'm looking at, but dealer says ~3 months.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I have a 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid ordered and just put in an order for an Outer Banks last week. Gas mileage will be worse, but it'll actually show up.

I know the maverick people post the scheduling info every week, but I haven't been able to find any recent info like that for the Bronco Sport so I'm not really sure what kinda timeline I'm looking at, but dealer says ~3 months.
Thanks for the reply. The Mav hybrid we have on order is for a Lariat but unfortunately I just don't see it getting built for MY23. I think they only have around 3ish months of Mav scheduling left so that's a bummer. I think we might see a considerable increase in the price of the Mav Hybrid in for MY24 so that's why we are checking out the bronco sports.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I have a Badlands, but I think I would enjoy a Maverick, I think it's more useful for everyday type use and if you get the Hybrid very economical as well.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
I've got a Maverick on order as well. Actually it was built yesterday and waiting on shipping now. I bought the Sport to get by until the Maverick showed up. Now, I'm seriously considering selling the Maverick when it gets here and just sticking with the Sport. Might order a '24 Maverick if Eruption Green is an option. If you don't really need a pickup, the Sport is a great option.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
I'd say it depends on your need. Do you plan to haul or tow? I have to say, I have a 2007 F-150, and would not want to give it up unless it bites the dust. It gets used to bring home lumber, fencing, plants, and various other house repair type projects. I assume the maverick is better in hauling/towing then the top of the line BS with the 2.0.

I also have a small utility trailer that I use to tow with the F-150 for golf cart repairs I do on the side.
While my 2023 BS might pull the trailer with a golf cart, it might be at it's max limit, and I don't want to over work the 1.5 liter it has. My wife loves the BS outer banks, and says I can do whatever with the truck, just don't abuse the BS.

NDB2Guy

Badlands
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
87 BII, 89 BII, 89 Ranger, 14 F150, 22 BSport
If the Maverick Tremor would have been around when I ordered my Badlands, that would have been the tipping point for me. I really liked the utility of that Maverick bed.

Either way, I would have kept my old F150 for when I really needed to do truck things.

Ksnau

Heritage
First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
Keep waiting for what you want. It took them 18 and a half months to get me a base manual bronco with no options but I was super happy that I waited.

No, from what I've seen, the bronco sport seems to be a little nicer than most mavericks and I have seen some Mavericks with possible build quality issues. But if I'd had the choice between a Maverick lariat tremor or my heritage limited the day I bought it no wait, I probably would have gotten the Maverick lariat tremor. But and I could be wrong about this but I think you do get some nicer stuff with the broncos sport at least in the higher trims.

But again if you can wait I would say wait and really get what you want. Plus you should be getting price protection still I would hope. And that's going to make a big difference. The dealer I talked to where I got my bronco sport heritage limited for less than MSRP said they weren't selling a single Maverick without some kind of price adjustment or markup which really pissed me off. But they had just given me a crazy deal or at least what I think was a crazy deal at the time so I didn't say anything then

kcjayman79

Badlands
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Sport
I ordered and owned a Maverick Lariat with all the options but sadly after a year it got totaled due to an accident. Since I didn't have the leisure of waiting to order another one I bought a 23 Bronco Sport Badlands that's pretty loaded. I can say the driving dynamics between the two are totally different. The engine tune is different, the ride is different. I like them both differently. I was happy with the maverick and it's versatility and it towed well (4k tow) and I did not have any issues with it other than the windshield got broke due to rocks 3 times. I would say drive one and see what you think. It rides more car like than truck like even with the A/T tires that were on it. I will say the back seat is a bit cramped in comparison to the BS.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport instead of Maverick? Truck

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport instead of Maverick? Truckcrash

Fordguyyt

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport 2012 Mustang GT
I ordered a Maverick XLT Hybrid back in September 2022. Wife ordered a bronco sport in November 2022 and received the bronco sport at the end of January. Still haven’t been scheduled or anything for the Mav.

OuterBanks25

Outer Banks
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Since I have both, I can safely say that it doesn't really matter which one you pick because they're both fantastic vehicles. If you want to wait for the Maverick, then go for it. However, if you need a vehicle right away, I would definitely get the Bronco Sport. It drives phenomenally, it's very well insulated, has plenty of features for the money and looks the part. It doesn't look like any other crossover on the road which is a good thing if you want to stand out from the crowd. And since it's an upright box, there's tons of room for cargo, plenty of headroom for rear passengers and the legroom is fairly generous depending on how tall you are.

My Maverick I've had for over a year now and I will say that it does offer a better driving experience than the Bronco Sport. The engine is definitely more refined than it is in the BS. Probably because it's a bigger and traditional 2.0L I-4 vs. a small 1.5L I-3. You'll find the BS to be a little buzzy at idle whereas the Maverick is so well insulated you wouldn't even know the car is on. Also, if you're a fan of auto start/stop (which is rare) it's more seamless in the Maverick than it is in the BS. The latter will shake the whole car and catch you off guard which is impractical. I instantly turn it off when getting in. In the Maverick, however, all you'll feel is a slight vibration. Most of the transitions are unnoticeable.

As for features, I would say they're both well-equipped but it all depends on what trim you get and what options. Mine is a fully-loaded Lariat with the luxury package and FC360 package. Also, the BS is an Outer Banks with the Tech package as the only option since it comes with a lot of standard features. If you're on a strict budget, I would stick with the Maverick since it is thousands cheaper than the BS. However, if you want something that's better optioned and more refined, I would get the BS. Either one is gonna be a fantastic experience. I hope this helps.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
I ordered and owned a Maverick Lariat with all the options but sadly after a year it got totaled due to an accident. Since I didn't have the leisure of waiting to order another one I bought a 23 Bronco Sport Badlands that's pretty loaded. I can say the driving dynamics between the two are totally different. The engine tune is different, the ride is different. I like them both differently. I was happy with the maverick and it's versatility and it towed well (4k tow) and I did not have any issues with it other than the windshield got broke due to rocks 3 times. I would say drive one and see what you think. It rides more car like than truck like even with the A/T tires that were on it. I will say the back seat is a bit cramped in comparison to the BS.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport instead of Maverick? Truck

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport instead of Maverick? Truckcrash
Wow so sorry your Mav got totaled that had to be heartbreaking. Hopefully everyone was ok? Interesting you mention about the backseat being a bit cramped on the Mav compared to the BS. I just checked the specs and indeed the Mav has 1" less legroom than the BS.

OP
OP

ListedGuru

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Since I have both, I can safely say that it doesn't really matter which one you pick because they're both fantastic vehicles. If you want to wait for the Maverick, then go for it. However, if you need a vehicle right away, I would definitely get the Bronco Sport. It drives phenomenally, it's very well insulated, has plenty of features for the money and looks the part. It doesn't look like any other crossover on the road which is a good thing if you want to stand out from the crowd. And since it's an upright box, there's tons of room for cargo, plenty of headroom for rear passengers and the legroom is fairly generous depending on how tall you are.

My Maverick I've had for over a year now and I will say that it does offer a better driving experience than the Bronco Sport. The engine is definitely more refined than it is in the BS. Probably because it's a bigger and traditional 2.0L I-4 vs. a small 1.5L I-3. You'll find the BS to be a little buzzy at idle whereas the Maverick is so well insulated you wouldn't even know the car is on. Also, if you're a fan of auto start/stop (which is rare) it's more seamless in the Maverick than it is in the BS. The latter will shake the whole car and catch you off guard which is impractical. I instantly turn it off when getting in. In the Maverick, however, all you'll feel is a slight vibration. Most of the transitions are unnoticeable.

As for features, I would say they're both well-equipped but it all depends on what trim you get and what options. Mine is a fully-loaded Lariat with the luxury package and FC360 package. Also, the BS is an Outer Banks with the Tech package as the only option since it comes with a lot of standard features. If you're on a strict budget, I would stick with the Maverick since it is thousands cheaper than the BS. However, if you want something that's better optioned and more refined, I would get the BS. Either one is gonna be a fantastic experience. I hope this helps.
Thanks for taking the time to make this very informative post. Neither my wife or I have driven either a Mav or a BS but hopefully that'll change soon, lol. Actually a good friend of mine's wife has a BS so I'm sure they will let us take it on an extensive drive if I ask.

I was wondering if you can comment on the gas mileage you have observed between the Mav and BS? This vehicle is for my wife who commutes around 70 miles per day (mostly freeway). She currently drives a Ford Edge so I would think she would see around the same mileage in either a Mav EB or a BS.

OuterBanks25

Outer Banks
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for taking the time to make this very informative post. Neither my wife or I have driven either a Mav or a BS but hopefully that'll change soon, lol. Actually a good friend of mine's wife has a BS so I'm sure they will let us take it on an extensive drive if I ask.

I was wondering if you can comment on the gas mileage you have observed between the Mav and BS? This vehicle is for my wife who commutes around 70 miles per day (mostly freeway). She currently drives a Ford Edge so I would think she would see around the same mileage in either a Mav EB or a BS.
You're welcome. I can happily answer regarding the fuel economy. The most fuel efficient in our fleet is the BS. For the past three months, we've been averaging 28-29 mpg, the highest being 29.5. Not bad for a box! 😁 I just saw a post on this forum today mentioning someone achieving 33 mpg. As for the Maverick, I typically average 25-26 mpg considering I have the AWD Ecoboost. However, I did manage to get 38 mpg after a fuel economy reset and highway miles. But that was just one time. It shows it can be done though. But if you really want to gloat about stellar fuel economy, get the Hybrid. I've seen and heard many on that forum that have achieved well over 45 mpg or even as high as 55 mpg! The average from the EPA has it at 37 mpg but in real-life driving, people have achieved more than that.
Sponsored