tristanm228

Big Bend
First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone know how much a big bend can handle? Most BS off-road videos on YouTube are about the badlands edition. I'm not looking to do anything crazy, maybe some muddy dirt roads since I have no experience off-roading (I live in CT, so that s the extent of off-roading for us anyway).

I might be interested in overlanding in the future, does anyone know of any overlanding trails in New England that the big bend model can handle if you slap on some all terrain tires?
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Does anyone know how much a big bend can handle? Most BS off-road videos on YouTube are about the badlands edition. I'm not looking to do anything crazy, maybe some muddy dirt roads since I have no experience off-roading (I live in CT, so that s the extent of off-roading for us anyway).
The all wheel drive system on your car is quite capable. As a rule of thumb I would suggest avoiding any trail where locking differentials are recommended, mainly because your car doesn't have one. But the system does a pretty good job otherwise.

In the video below the AWD system was tested on a First Edition. The video starts at the section where they test the basic AWD system instead of the rear locker, so it applies to your car. You can see how the system transfers power to the rear wheels when it senses the front wheels slipping. Keep watching and you can see them test the system out on a trail.

The main difference between your car and those with a rear differential locker is the way the system prevents the rear wheels from slipping. With a rear locker the two rear wheels are mechanically locked together, so the only way they can slip is if they both slip.

In your car, the computer applies the brake on the wheel that slips so power is transferred to the other wheel. What this means on the trail is if you find yourself in a situation where both wheels on the rear axle are slipping then the computer will clamp the brakes on both and you won't go anywhere.

That said, you can tell from the video that the basic AWD system is quite capable even without the rear diff lock. Have fun with it!

BTW, if you watch until about 6:10 in the video you can see just how steep that hill is.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It will do most anything you are willing to do. In most cases the drivers ability is the limiting factor.
Decent tires help as well.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
you can push it pretty hard. we did a pretty good offroad camping trip with our base model.
as others mentioned, a good driver and good tires make a HUGE difference. a big factor is realizing what you can and cannot drive over / thru.
a few suggestions: crawl underneath and look at the vulnerable points, oil pan and rear diff assy as they hang pretty low.
start with light trails, and go from there. also have a recovery system, if you have a hitch get a shackle for it incase you need a tug.

and one more point; remember you are in a bronco sport and not a jacked up fully locked jeep or landcruiser. everything has its limits.

but you will find the bronco sport has amazing capabilities right off the showroom floor. id change the tires tho.

Freddy Turbina

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I drive my BB on beach trails (deep sand) without any issues. Like other have mentioned, knowing how to drive on off road trails is very important, and good tires are also important.

The 225/65/R17 stock continentals are more than capable for dry off roading, but as soon as there is lots of wet mud you will wish you had something more aggressive (and wider!). For the beach, stock works great, and the only reason I am replacing them is to make the car look better on a 2 inch lift.

fred.

OP
OP

tristanm228

Big Bend
First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Also I've seen their are alot of videos of the maverick off road, in guessing that would be similar to the lower models of the bronco sport since it is also based on the escape?

Benanza

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport

I might be interested in overlanding in the future, does anyone know of any overlanding trails in New England that the big bend model can handle if you slap on some all terrain tires?
You may want this link for NH class vi &vii roads...
https://goo.gl/maps/DLkyk48SE49pzKL26

BamaBronco

Big Bend
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Also I've seen their are alot of videos of the maverick off road, in guessing that would be similar to the lower models of the bronco sport since it is also based on the escape?
From what I understand, the Maverick is based on the Bronco Sport platform (which is based on the Escape, except with a better 4x4 system and more suitable off-road suspension), so I would think the Maverick and non-Badlands BS trims are comparable. This is especially true since even the FX4 package on the Maverick doesn't have a rear locker like the Badlands. However, it does have some underbody protection and at least one additional off-road mode that non-BL BS trims do not have.

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
The all wheel drive system on your car is quite capable. As a rule of thumb I would suggest avoiding any trail where locking differentials are recommended, mainly because your car doesn't have one. But the system does a pretty good job otherwise.

In the video below the AWD system was tested on a First Edition. The video starts at the section where they test the basic AWD system instead of the rear locker, so it applies to your car. You can see how the system transfers power to the rear wheels when it senses the front wheels slipping. Keep watching and you can see them test the system out on a trail.

The main difference between your car and those with a rear differential locker is the way the system prevents the rear wheels from slipping. With a rear locker the two rear wheels are mechanically locked together, so the only way they can slip is if they both slip.

In your car, the computer applies the brake on the wheel that slips so power is transferred to the other wheel. What this means on the trail is if you find yourself in a situation where both wheels on the rear axle are slipping then the computer will clamp the brakes on both and you won't go anywhere.

That said, you can tell from the video that the basic AWD system is quite capable even without the rear diff lock. Have fun with it!

BTW, if you watch until about 6:10 in the video you can see just how steep that hill is.

One caveat to that is the first edition and Badlands have a lot more torque than the lower trims. The wheel breaking that all wheel drive systems are using eats a lot of torque, so the Badlands will have a significant advantage here also.

The all-wheel drive system in the Sport and the Cherokee are actually from the same manufacturer AAM. It's a really good system, Ecoboost. They differ in that Cherokee has an optional low range and mechanical rear locker and the Badlands has that rear locking clutch.

That being said, the base models are perfectly fine for your typical over landing fire roads and such.

Last edited:

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
If you start out with the Low range switch engaged , I will say you have plenty of Torque from the 1.5, if needed . Switch off the Traction Control & the Wheel braking doesn't hinder you ,if needed .

As said , above , it's a pretty capable system .

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
If you start out with the Low range switch engaged , I will say you have plenty of Torque from the 1.5, if needed . Switch off the Traction Control & the Wheel braking doesn't hinder you ,if needed .

As said , above , it's a pretty capable system .
I think you're mixing up traction control and how the all-wheel drive system transfers power from side to side. In order to stop one wheel from spinning to transfer power to the other wheel it has to apply the brake to the spinning wheel. This creates a lot of torque loss for the vehicle. The non Badlands only have what 170? That's not much to work with and will cause the vehicle to struggle on inclines.

The Badlands has something like 280 and with the dual clutch in the rear can transfer all that to either back wheel.

The non Badlands editions are probably about on par with most of your other AWD offerings out there. Like your Jeep Compass, Renegade, Subaru Crosstrek...ect.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I think you're mixing up traction control and how the all-wheel drive system transfers power from side to side. In order to stop one wheel from spinning to transfer power to the other wheel it has to apply the brake to the spinning wheel. This creates a lot of torque loss for the vehicle. The non Badlands only have what 170? That's not much to work with and will cause the vehicle to struggle on inclines.

The Badlands has something like 280 and with the dual clutch in the rear can transfer all that to either back wheel.

The non Badlands editions are probably about on par with most of your other AWD offerings out there. Like your Jeep Compass, Renegade, Subaru Crosstrek...ect.
I don't think I'm mixing it up ,switch traction control off & it won't apply the Brakes, to put all power to one or the other Tires & lose torque , as you say . Traction control works for some conditions ,but not all , sometimes it is better with out it being on .

Your spec's are not correct the 1.5 lt. is rated @ 190 lb.ft. @ 3000 rpms . Have you driven a BS (with one of the low rent models :cwl: ) off road , deep Sand or hill climbing or have used the low feature in the settings ? I can assure you this little 1.5 is has more performance than most think .

Last edited:

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I don't think I'm mixing it up ,switch traction control off & it won't apply the Brakes, to put all power to one or the other Tires & use torque , as you say . Traction control works for some conditions ,but not all , sometimes it is better with out it being on .

Your spec's are not correct the 1.5 lt. is rated @ 190 lb.ft. @ 3000 rpms . Have you driven a BS (with one of the low rent models :cwl: ) off road , deep Sand or hill climbing or have used the low feature in the settings ? I can assure you this little 1.5 is has more performance than most think .
Exactly how do you think it delivers power to each wheel without the brakes?

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2021-ford-bronco-sport-escape-suspension-awd-systems-explained/

Models powered by the 1.5-liter engine get a typical open rear differential, with individual wheel braking helping direct torque to the wheel with better grip.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Exactly how do you think it delivers power to each wheel without the brakes?

https://www.motortrend.com/features/2021-ford-bronco-sport-escape-suspension-awd-systems-explained/

Models powered by the 1.5-liter engine get a typical open rear differential, with individual wheel braking helping direct torque to the wheel with better grip.
You’re both right. Turn off traction control and you don’t lose torque due to individual wheel braking, but you do give up transferring power to the wheel with better traction. It’s a trade off. In some situations more wheel spin (sand mode allows more wheel spin) is better. In others you want maximum traction. The trick is know which is which.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i dunno, me personally the 1.5 is stout. power isnt everything, i mean it helps, but ive also owned suzuki samurai and sidekick/trackers, that were unstoppable offroad. and the sidekicks were rated at 87 hp haha.
my dodge w150 power ram has about 275 hp, and it has been stuck … ALOT lol too heavy.
traction control off, my base model is a lil tank.
Sponsored