Briar Gates

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Thanks for viewing. Just curious which mode is the most preferred for towing with the 1.5 engine. I have used normal personally, but just wondering if any others might be the better option.
Sponsored

Greynoodle

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for viewing. Just curious which mode is the most preferred for towing with the 1.5 engine. I have used normal personally, but just wondering if any others might be the better option.
I pull a small 6x8 With a zero turn mower on it
and I run in normal. Haven’t had any issues other that slightly lower gas mileage.

OP
OP
Briar Gates

Briar Gates

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I pull a small 6x8 With a zero turn mower on it
and I run in normal. Haven’t had any issues other that slightly lower gas mileage.
I appreciate the reply Greynoodle, sorry for the late reply. I think where I originally should have gone with this post, is asking if anyone by chance tows in “sport” mode. Just for the fact that it changes the shift settings, holds gears longer, and eliminates overdrive. Not quite the same as a tow/haul but similar characteristics. With that being said, I use normal for now. Just curious for selection and reasons for it.

Greynoodle

Big Bend
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I'll have to try the sport mode next time that I use the trailer! Thanks for the tip!

Dennis Kilbride

Big Bend
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I've used the 'Big Bend' twice towing round trip 460 miles using 'Normal' mode. I was pulling max weight of 2000 pounds, 60 mph, and the tach stayed around 1700RPM on flat freeway. The big test was Duluth Minnesota with the long steep hill (south side) coming into and return leaving Duluth. I stayed in normal mode and the Bronco Sport handled fine. Think I lightly tapped brakes a couple times going downhill to stay under 50mph. Coming back up the hill I stayed just under 50mph too and transmission acted just like all my F150's I've owned the past 40 years taking on that 2 mile hill. It shifted when it should have and maintained 'normal' rpm I thought.

Ford Bronco Sport Best mode for towing 52910452621_a22e27e472_o

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I would stick with NORMAL mode. Sport mode changes shift points and--more importantly--torque converter lockup operation. The torque converter is a fluid (non-mechanical) connection between the engine and drive train, but it incorporates a clutch to lock the engine and drive train together. This serves two purposes: efficiency and heat management.

Automatic transmissions use a fluid-coupled torque converter to transfer torque from the engine to the drive train. This means the engine's crankshaft and the driveshaft going to the wheels are not mechanically linked--there is always some slippage in the torque converter which results in a loss of torque during the power transfer and generates heat. Adding a lockup clutch makes a mechanical connection, thus eliminating slippage and reducing heat added to the fluid.

So, back to the subject. How does the lockup clutch function while in SPORT mode? I don't know, but I do know that SPORT mode is meant to allow for faster shifting and better acceleration during spirited driving. Given that, it stands to reason that the PCM will more aggressively engage the lockup clutch during shifts to provide a more positive shift feel. If that's the case, towing in this mode will significantly accelerate wear on the lockup clutch, especially given you have increased the overall weight you are accelerating.

The owner's manual does not recommend use of SPORT mode for towing, but it does say you should select a lower gear when descending hills to reduce the amount of braking required to maintain speed. For all these reasons, I would stick with NORMAL mode for towing.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Is there any reason to not tow in Eco?
ECO mode upshifts at lower RPM to improve fuel economy. I would think this would make towing an exercise in patience! The fact there's no mention of drive modes in the section of the owner's manual discussing towing suggests to me that you should stick with NORMAL mode. If there were an advantage to be had in efficiency or equipment wear using a different mode I believe Ford would have suggested doing so in the manual. I can't find anything online from ANY manufacturer regarding drive modes and towing except for vehicles specifically designed for towing. In that case, the manufacturer recommends using a mode specifically meant for towing. For Ford, it's called TOW/HAUL mode.

OP
OP
Briar Gates

Briar Gates

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I would stick with NORMAL mode. Sport mode changes shift points and--more importantly--torque converter lockup operation. The torque converter is a fluid (non-mechanical) connection between the engine and drive train, but it incorporates a clutch to lock the engine and drive train together. This serves two purposes: efficiency and heat management.

Automatic transmissions use a fluid-coupled torque converter to transfer torque from the engine to the drive train. This means the engine's crankshaft and the driveshaft going to the wheels are not mechanically linked--there is always some slippage in the torque converter which results in a loss of torque during the power transfer and generates heat. Adding a lockup clutch makes a mechanical connection, thus eliminating slippage and reducing heat added to the fluid.

So, back to the subject. How does the lockup clutch function while in SPORT mode? I don't know, but I do know that SPORT mode is meant to allow for faster shifting and better acceleration during spirited driving. Given that, it stands to reason that the PCM will more aggressively engage the lockup clutch during shifts to provide a more positive shift feel. If that's the case, towing in this mode will significantly accelerate wear on the lockup clutch, especially given you have increased the overall weight you are accelerating.

The owner's manual does not recommend use of SPORT mode for towing, but it does say you should select a lower gear when descending hills to reduce the amount of braking required to maintain speed. For all these reasons, I would stick with NORMAL mode for towing.
Mark S, that is compelling enough that (needless to say) I will use normal mode. I appreciate the explanation as to “why” also. I have only had to kick it down to pull a hill with my boat, otherwise it’s very smooth. Boat’s probably not over 1k, if even-but you can def. tell it’s back there. I usually run right around 60ish with my set up.

OP
OP
Briar Gates

Briar Gates

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I'll have to try the sport mode next time that I use the trailer! Thanks for the tip!
After reading Mark S. reply, I think the question I was driving at was answered. He makes a good point about the owner’s manual for towing: Ford doesn’t specifically say tow in ——mode, so if they had a suggestion other than normal, it would be in the manual. Normal it is Dennis, and Greynoodle. 😎

OP
OP
Briar Gates

Briar Gates

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I've used the 'Big Bend' twice towing round trip 460 miles using 'Normal' mode. I was pulling max weight of 2000 pounds, 60 mph, and the tach stayed around 1700RPM on flat freeway. The big test was Duluth Minnesota with the long steep hill (south side) coming into and return leaving Duluth. I stayed in normal mode and the Bronco Sport handled fine. Think I lightly tapped brakes a couple times going downhill to stay under 50mph. Coming back up the hill I stayed just under 50mph too and transmission acted just like all my F150's I've owned the past 40 years taking on that 2 mile hill. It shifted when it should have and maintained 'normal' rpm I thought.

Ford Bronco Sport Best mode for towing 52910452621_a22e27e472_o

OP
OP
Briar Gates

Briar Gates

Big Bend
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Dennis, I have been using normal since I’ve towed and haven’t had any hiccups. I try to stay aware of the fact that it is indeed a 3 cylinder engine in acceleration and cruising speed around 60 also.
Sponsored