sdmc229

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion and Flex
I test drove the OB and I felt the power was OK with the 1.5, but since I was ordering what I wanted, I felt more comfortable with moving up to the BL and the 2.0.
Sponsored

Shempy

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I ordered and now have the outer banks. I was a bit nervous due to the engine size until I got it, even though I did test drive one before hand. But I’ve now driven nearly 5,000 miles and can honestly say I’ve got no issues. I love it! I traded in my Jeep Compass trail hawk with a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine for my outer banks. I feel like I have more power and it’s way peppier!

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
I ordered and now have the outer banks. I was a bit nervous due to the engine size until I got it, even though I did test drive one before hand. But I’ve now driven nearly 5,000 miles and can honestly say I’ve got no issues. I love it! I traded in my Jeep Compass trail hawk with a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine for my outer banks. I feel like I have more power and it’s way peppier!
Yeah if you look at just the base specs they appear about the same, but the power on the 1.5 turbo is going to hit a lot sooner.

mla

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2̶0̶0̶5̶ F̶o̶r̶d̶ E̶s̶c̶a̶p̶e̶
New here. I was waiting on a big Bronco but my 2005 Ford Escape decided to die, so I put a deposit on a BS Outer Banks yesterday. Has almost all options, but with the 1.5 engine of course.

It's a bit of worry for me since the 2005 Escape has a v6 and is not exactly peppy, esp. when trying to tow a small trailer. Found it surprising that the BS OB can only tow 2k and even the BL only adds 200 more at 2.2k.

So we'll see. But engineers have made such amazing progress on engines in the last twenty years, I'm hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. And I'm going to get mine before all of you who did custom orders, so :p

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands - Area 51 "Bad Alien"
New here. I was waiting on a big Bronco but my 2005 Ford Escape decided to die, so I put a deposit on a BS Outer Banks yesterday. Has almost all options, but with the 1.5 engine of course.

It's a bit of worry for me since the 2005 Escape has a v6......
The great thing about turbo engines is that the power band hits low and keeps a steady curve on way up so while the overall engine is "small" the power can be quite big.

This is my 4th turbo from Ford (2 F150's both with 2.7 twin turbo's, Escape with turbo, and now BS) and I feel Ford has also gotten better at the Turbo's the lag on the 1.5 is very hard to notice.

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
For MPG, we’re consistently getting about 26 in our BL. I see some reporting they get about 30, which I know I could do with eco mode or if I drive more “gently”.

The 1.5L was a definite no-go for us on our test drive just doing some light foothills driving heading into the mountains. The 2.0L in the BL has been just fine in that regard, it handles mountain driving. The 4-cylinder also seemed to just run a bit smoother than the 3-cylinder. I think Ford should really offer the 2.0L as an option for all trims.

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For MPG, we’re consistently getting about 26 in our BL. I see some reporting they get about 30, which I know I could do with eco mode or if I drive more “gently”.

The 1.5L was a definite no-go for us on our test drive just doing some light foothills driving heading into the mountains. The 2.0L in the BL has been just fine in that regard, it handles mountain driving. The 4-cylinder also seemed to just run a bit smoother than the 3-cylinder. I think Ford should really offer the 2.0L as an option for all trims.
The 30+ MPG is probably on the 1.5, as I am getting 31.6 MPG right now in normal mode 70% Highway/30 City with some pretty big hills on that drive (Going up in the AM and going down in the PM).

I have not done any Mountain driving yet, other then the ones around my land. Seems to handle them really well HOWEVER that is based on my experience with my 2020 Tacoma TRD OR for comparison. I enjoy the drive MUCH more in the Bronco Sport.

The 4-cylinder does run smoother as it is hard to balance 3-cylinder engines and you can feel it but, for me, you get used to it after a few days and do not even think about it anymore.

I also wish they offered the 2.0L in all trims but to be honest I would have still gone with the 1.5L myself. I was looking for better fuel economy and I originally went down to purchase the new Maverick but they did not have any of the hybrid engines yet (Apparently Ford is having a ... surprise... supply problem). I test drove the Maverick and then the Bronco Sport (And full size Bronco just for giggles) but as you can guess I went with the Outer Banks over the Bad Lands for the better fuel economy.

My days of heavy off-roading though is mostly winding down, the Outer Banks is more then capable of the road/trails I travel to camp now.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
All I can say is the 1.5 OB I now own has more power (at least in feels) then my 2020 Tacoma TRD OR I traded in for it. It also shifts better, handles better, rides better. This was my 3rd Tacoma so I was very surprised.
I was gonna say my work truck is a 2018 f150 and has the "fuel saver 6" - it does just fine everyday driving and even pulls my little boat ok ... but if you test drove it vs the bs the bs feels like it has more power.. esp at highway speed -you get on the f150 at 65+ and it sounds like its passing a kidney stone.

Every car and engine will have its own problems that is between and within makes and models ... the only vehicle ive ever owned that didnt was a 2006 nissan frontier with man 6 speed.. never once did qnything over filters and such.. hqd to replace one coil pack once... carrier bearing once... never touched the trans or clutch... was 14 yrs had 200k when i went to f150.

RRD

Badlands
First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was gonna say my work truck is a 2018 f150 and has the "fuel saver 6" - it does just fine everyday driving and even pulls my little boat ok ... but if you test drove it vs the bs the bs feels like it has more power.. esp at highway speed -you get on the f150 at 65+ and it sounds like its passing a kidney stone.

Every car and engine will have its own problems that is between and within makes and models ... the only vehicle ive ever owned that didnt was a 2006 nissan frontier with man 6 speed.. never once did qnything over filters and such.. hqd to replace one coil pack once... carrier bearing once... never touched the trans or clutch... was 14 yrs had 200k when i went to f150.
I am comparing the 1.5 to the 2020 Tacoma I had, not my F150 2.7 twin turbo... because that twin turbo will do laps around the 1.5 without breaking a sweat. However if you put the 1.5 into sport mode to merge into Hwy traffic on those on ramps that are only 20 feet long it will get there in plenty of time from my experience.

With that said, my job relies on my keeping a clear MVR so I do not speed, I do not aggressively drive and I honestly am in no hurry most days. Life, to me, is so much better when I take my time, enjoy the drive.

Greensweater

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So on September 24 I ordered the outer banks with the stereo upgrade package and the moonroof so I had to go to the 2022…. Got the FORD email saying it was scheduled to be built the week of the 29th of November.. and then I visited my mechanic to get a sticker for my boyfriend’s truck and mentioned what I was purchasing and he said honestly Ford’s are great he said but that 1.5 L engine it’s not good. My daughter had an escape and I was consistently working on it because of that 1.5 L engine he said if there’s any other option I would get that .. so today I went back to the dealership to order the Badlands with the 2.0… any insight in the engine and Badlands itself ? I am hoping that it doesn’t set the building date way further I was kind of disappointed they couldn’t just change my order but I had to do a whole new one with a whole new date so who knows what the Ford emails say on when the schedule to be built date will be… TBC ?..
The engine and transmission on my '14 Escape died around 70,000 miles. One month after I paid it off. I was so livid I ended up leasing a Subaru Crosstrek.

Well, now I'm back with Ford and must admit I picked the Badlands trim to avoid the 1.5L engine. After reading some of the comments, it wasn't the most informed decision. But no regrets. The 2L effortlessly navigates the passing lanes in northern Michigan. Quietly powers pass vehicles. It's so fun. And becomes even more responsive in Sport Mode. I'm absolutely in love.

I also wanted the smaller wheels (17") for a smoother ride on Michigan's notorious roads. The 235 tires widen the stance and ride well - on and off. Great handling.

Badlands is worth the wait. Even if it's white. :handsinair:

OP
OP
Aleta51

Aleta51

Badlands
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500 LTZ Z71 crew cab
The engine and transmission on my '14 Escape died around 70,000 miles. One month after I paid it off. I was so livid I ended up leasing a Subaru Crosstrek.

Well, now I'm back with Ford and must admit I picked the Badlands trim to avoid the 1.5L engine. After reading some of the comments, it wasn't the most informed decision. But no regrets. The 2L effortlessly navigates the passing lanes in northern Michigan. Quietly powers pass vehicles. It's so fun. And becomes even more responsive in Sport Mode. I'm absolutely in love.

I also wanted the smaller wheels (17") for a smoother ride on Michigan's notorious roads. The 235 tires widen the stance and ride well - on and off. Great handling.

Badlands is worth the wait. Even if it's white. :handsinair:
Thank you for that confirmation of my decision. Greatly appreciated? I know …now I was like will the white work for the badlands? I mean I’m sure it’s fine… I really like white and it doesn’t show the dirt or scratches os much. But it’s not very bad ass?

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Agree. The 17 is a better tire for both offroad and onroad, which is getting more offroad in almost every US city. There are also many more size 17 choices to purchase down the road. My last vehicle had 15" wheels with a 31" tire. Tremendous height sidewalls. The Bronco wheel/tire combo is decent with the 17's and I am very impressed with the optional Falken A/T ride and noise level.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
The 1.5 was OK but I could tell it struggled on a hill in Eco during my test drive and that wasn't even loaded to GVWR.
Eco mode shuts down one cylinder and isn't intended for hills.

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2021 Ranger Tremor
With that said, my job relies on my keeping a clear MVR so I do not speed, I do not aggressively drive and I honestly am in no hurry most days. Life, to me, is so much better when I take my time, enjoy the drive.
This is great. I completely agree. Especially as I get older too.
Sponsored