Aleta51

Badlands
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy 1500 LTZ Z71 crew cab
So on September 24 I ordered the outer banks with the stereo upgrade package and the moonroof so I had to go to the 2022…. Got the FORD email saying it was scheduled to be built the week of the 29th of November.. and then I visited my mechanic to get a sticker for my boyfriend’s truck and mentioned what I was purchasing and he said honestly Ford’s are great he said but that 1.5 L engine it’s not good. My daughter had an escape and I was consistently working on it because of that 1.5 L engine he said if there’s any other option I would get that .. so today I went back to the dealership to order the Badlands with the 2.0… any insight in the engine and Badlands itself ? I am hoping that it doesn’t set the building date way further I was kind of disappointed they couldn’t just change my order but I had to do a whole new one with a whole new date so who knows what the Ford emails say on when the schedule to be built date will be… TBC ?..
Sponsored

Monkey

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, F-350, a Tesla, and more...
We’ve had our Badlands with the 2.0L since first week of May and have put about 7000 miles on it. It’s been great. We like it enough that we just ordered another one! The second one will be more of a company vehicle, but my wife will probably be driving it a bunch and my daughter when back from college over the summer. …Who knows when we’ll get it though. It’s a BL + Premium package, two, 360+ and moon roof. We may not get it until late spring/summer…. Hope it doesn’t take that long, but I’m trying to temper expectations. Our current Badlands Sport was ordered first week of December and so it took right at 5 months and that was before the chip shortage hit.

We test drove a BB with the 1.5L and a BL with 2.0L prior to ordering the first one. I knew I wanted the 2.0L from the start anyway. The 1.5L was fine and would do just great around town, but if you do any off-road or mountain driving, you’ll want the 2.0L.

M3H7363

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick hybrid XLT
... that 1.5 L engine it’s not good. My daughter had an escape and I was consistently working on it because of that 1.5 L engine...
Depends on what year Escape he was talking about and which "1.5 L" engine. 2019 and earlier Escapes had a 1.5 L four cylinder engine, not the 1.5 L three cylinder we have.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
he said honestly Ford’s are great he said but that 1.5 L engine it’s not good. My daughter had an escape and I was consistently working on it because of that 1.5 L engine he said if there’s any other option I would get that
Not to discount your mechanics opinion but what 1.5L engine was he talking about? The 3cyl or the 4cyl?
2020 was the first year for the 1.5L 3cyl in the Escape and unless he's a Ford dealership mechanic he probably hasn't worked on one since they would be under factory warranty.
It's easy to get the two confused.

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
I had a BB with the 1.5 engine and traded for a BL a few months later. Not because of a dislike of the engine, but I wanted the leather a BS with more equipment that the BB was equipped with. Now that I have been driving the car for several months, the extra power is a plus.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I test drove the OB w/all options first and we loved it. Salesguy threw us the keys and said has a full tank have fun. So after an hour and change came back. We went originally to look at a BL or order a full size Bronco. So when we spoke to him he said hold on a second; I think I have a BL 40 miles away at another lot. I was set on having the off road upgrades so I bought the BL w/o seeing it to make sure no one else grabbed it. Best decision ever!!! I'm sure the OB is a great DD and has a lot of a luxury/upscale feel however I didn't want a BS for that. I wanted a BS for its 4x4, ruggedness, boxy look, off road capabilites and all the overlanding accessories. I wouldn't feel comfortable taking the OB everywhere or pushing the boundaries knowing the lacking 4x4 system capabilities, springs, skid plates, electronics etc etc
14k miles in and loving every one ??

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
The OB 1.5 in Sport mode has plenty of get up and go. I tow a 2,000 pound camper with mine and no problems. Have driven both. Had a loaner 2.0. I'd rather have the better gas mileage. Lead foots will love the 2.0 though.

Digitalexcess

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I've had no issues with my OB and the 1.5L engine. The different trims are for different people and uses, so we're comparing apples to oranges.

If you off-road for pleasure, get the BL or FE, or better yet, the daddy Bronco. ($$$$)

I am on the road 97.2% of the time, so the OB fits me well and has a few comfort options that weren't available on the BL when I was looking around. No regrets. I feel there's a BS for everyone's needs.

OP
OP
Aleta51

Aleta51

Badlands
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Depends on what year Escape he was talking about and which "1.5 L" engine. 2019 and earlier Escapes had a 1.5 L four cylinder engine, not the 1.5 L three cylinder we have.
I will ask him.. he said she had it 3 years ago.. so I’m guessing the 4c.. thanks for your info ?

OP
OP
Aleta51

Aleta51

Badlands
First Name
Danielle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We’ve had our Badlands with the 2.0L since first week of May and have put about 7000 miles on it. It’s been great. We like it enough that we just ordered another one! The second one will be more of a company vehicle, but my wife will probably be driving it a bunch and my daughter when back from college over the summer. …Who knows when we’ll get it though. It’s a BL + Premium package, two, 360+ and moon roof. We may not get it until late spring/summer…. Hope it doesn’t take that long, but I’m trying to temper expectations. Our current Badlands Sport was ordered first week of December and so it took right at 5 months and that was before the chip shortage hit.

We test drove a BB with the 1.5L and a BL with 2.0L prior to ordering the first one. I knew I wanted the 2.0L from the start anyway. The 1.5L was fine and would do just great around town, but if you do any off-road or mountain driving, you’ll want the 2.0L.
I figured IF there had been ANY BS for me to test drive ( nope ) I’d probably like the one with more power.. I am switching from a Chevy half ton loaded and looking for lower payment and better gas mileage.. I realize the BL doe not do as well gas wise as the OB.. but after watching tons of videos .. almost everyone preferred it over the OB.. I’m wondering if Eco mode helps gas mileage. I am not a fan of the way ALL new SUV’s/crossovers look.. I hate the roundness and the shortness.. when I saw the BS I was in love.. I of course want the Bronco.. but out of price range and completely unnecessary for my daily driving needs in Maine. I hope I don’t regret the BL decision when it comes to gas… as it keeps going up ?Thanks for your insight.. I’ll keep everyone posted on build date ???

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I hope I don’t regret the BL decision when it comes to gas… as it keeps going up ?Thanks for your insight.. I’ll keep everyone posted on build date ???
The mpg delta between the 1.5L and 2.0L is probably not as great as you think, and has a lot to do with driving habits.

My 1.5L fuel economy is hovering around 29 mpg combined, but drops to 24-25 in the city. Based on what's been reported here and elsewhere, the Badlands is about the same or not much worse. The Sport is a brick on wheels when it comes to aerodynamics.

I've been tempted to put in an order for a '22 Badlands since the extra power is worth slightly more in fuel costs; if fuel economy were a major factor for me, I'd get a different vehicle altogether.

Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
I have had the 1.5L since March, 15k miles so far not a single issue (touch wood) I came from an Audi S5 and have a lead foot. I wasn’t disappointed in the 1.5 get up and go at all.

I am disappointed I don’t have Mud and Ruts in the Goat Modes, but I can just use slippery. I just need to go over some farm land. I don’t care about rock crawl, it’s a brand daily driver I’m not taking it rock crawling if I wanted to do that I’d have bought an old Jeep.

I have driven the the 2.0 and although it has a little more pep we are talking about a 2.0 4cylinder in an suv shaped like a brick, it’s not a Ferrari it doesn’t have an AMG badge, if I wanted to race, I’d of bought something different altogether.

I prefer my trim on the OB i think the grill looks better than the badlands, same with the wheels. I love the espresso leather interior, I have heated seats and wheel, co pilot 360+ BO stereo, I think everything but the CMS and I love it all.

My MPG increase is slight to the 2.0 as is their power increase. Really it’s each to their own, I’m happy with what I have, but I think I would also be happy if I were to have a badlands, they are all pretty cool cars, I just use most of my features and if I had a badlands a lot of them would go unused.

bk1287

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jetta
So on September 24 I ordered the outer banks with the stereo upgrade package and the moonroof so I had to go to the 2022…. Got the FORD email saying it was scheduled to be built the week of the 29th of November.. and then I visited my mechanic to get a sticker for my boyfriend’s truck and mentioned what I was purchasing and he said honestly Ford’s are great he said but that 1.5 L engine it’s not good. My daughter had an escape and I was consistently working on it because of that 1.5 L engine he said if there’s any other option I would get that .. so today I went back to the dealership to order the Badlands with the 2.0… any insight in the engine and Badlands itself ? I am hoping that it doesn’t set the building date way further I was kind of disappointed they couldn’t just change my order but I had to do a whole new one with a whole new date so who knows what the Ford emails say on when the schedule to be built date will be… TBC ?..
I test drove the OB. Where I live has a decent amount of hills and I thought the engine was lacking unless it was in sport mode. Made my decision for a BL pretty easy.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
The 1.5 has plenty of power , not sure what all the videos you watched , but the OB or the BL is a personal choice , if you like playing in the Mud or Rocks , the BL will be a better choice then the OB , but a daily driver , the OB can't be beat , my wife loves her's & we drove both before purchasing the OB .

Last edited:

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Drive both if you're not sure. If you're like me, once you try the Badlands, you won't want the 1.5. And unlike a lot of people love to imply, it isn't my "lead foot". I don't race the Bronco and I'm not into heavy, severe offroading; but the upgraded engine and drive train is a wholly different feel. It drives and feels like an AWD vehicle instead of a FWD as the 1.5 trims are wont to do. Most of the roads here in Oregon are hilly or windy or both. Don't know where you drive or if yours are similar. Even in Eco mode the 2.0 cruises over them with a full carload of people and gear. The 1.5 was OK but I could tell it struggled on a hill in Eco during my test drive and that wasn't even loaded to GVWR. I'd imagine it's plenty adequate for going around Florida or Chicagoland where the big hills are the overpasses.

I regularly exceed the estimated MPG just with normal driving. I have made as high as 31 on a highway trip down the valley and as little as 22 with only in-town errands and lots of drive thrus. The lifetime average is currently at 25. I'm sure the 1.5 is even better still but if you want to shop for MPG, shop for an EV or Hybrid. This is likely the last generation of gas powerplants and they're leaving on a whimper, not a roar. Mid twenties is decent and not amazing IMO.

The Bronco 3cyl is not the same Ecoboost as the 1.5 that had the head gasket problems. Or at least, it is a redesign.
Sponsored