OP
magicbus

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Reading your adventure on the beach, has encouraged me to drive my Badlands on the same refuge. I will soon be out on the same beach. See you soon. Tony
See you on the beach! :sunglasses:
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Four Wheel Drive - To get a permit to drive on the beach and trails the vehicle must have locking 4 wheel drive. Newer vehicles must have this indicated on the dash by a light, while older ones can be by practical demonstration. Up until last year AWD vehicles could get a permit if they had the ground clearance, but with the many types of AWD they are now all banned because they get stuck too often. Right or wrong, only FE or BS trim levels are permitted on the refuge.
This is an excellent real-world example of what I've written elsewhere about "AWD" systems. They are not created equal.

The BS (and particularly BS BL) have effective systems. At the other end of the spectrum are "AWD" vehicles that are actually only ONE wheel drive. If any *one* tire is on a slick surface the vehicle is (or definitely may be) stuck. I've experienced that with 2 different cars -- one was a brand new RAV4 parked on the grass beside a Toyota dealership!

That being the case, it is completely understandable that the refuge does not permit AWD vehicles on the beach. It would be far too much trouble to try and determine which ones are truly capable.

It will probably never happen, but I'd like to see a standardized AWD diagram that indicates at a glance whether a vehicle is 1; 2; 3; or 4/AWD. It could be a window sticker, as well as being displayed prominently online and in owner's manuals.

As it is, many (most?) car & truck buyers do not know what they have. For example, traditional "4WD" trucks (without locking diffs) are really just 2 wheel drive.

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
I'm curious about airing down to 15 lbs. I've heard that you can lose the seal on the tire if you go too low. I just got back from the Bronco Off-Rodeo in Moab, and we went through some soft sand. I tried it in 2wd just for fun, and had no issues. Tires were aired to 34 psi, except for left rear at 24 (I was driving their rig, not mine). The Badlands is very capable on rock crawling. Only complaint was dragging the vegetation in the middle of the two track roads. I'd like a couple more inches of clearance.

OP
OP
magicbus

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
While the Bronco Sport 4WD may be capable at 34 lbs, my understanding is that high pressure puts a strain on the engine and transmission. Aside from that it leaves deep tracks in sand making trails harder and harder to navigate. The first time I drove a Wrangler in soft sand I got stuck and while sitting there thinking WTF, a guy came up to me and said lower your tires to 15. I did and drove away. As for rolling off a rim, the only way I can see this happening is a sharp turn on pavement at low pressure, and who would do that.

Before we winch out a stuck vehicle we have them lower to 12 lbs and we try driving their vehicle out. Most times that will do the trick. Maybe it’s a better driver, maybe the lower air, not sure which.

OP
OP
magicbus

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting follow up… today we had a Ford Explorer on the beach with a 4WD emblem. The owner said she had done this trail twice before but today she tried to go up a 3’ incline on an angle and sank to her frame. As my partner started to pull with the winch I dropped it in gear and the two rear wheels immediately started spinning. I put it in neutral, we added winch pressure and then drove/winched it out.

My conclusion is that not having a way of locking the front and rear wheels together was the problem.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting follow up… today we had a Ford Explorer on the beach with a 4WD emblem. The owner said she had done this trail twice before but today she tried to go up a 3’ incline on an angle and sank to her frame. As my partner started to pull with the winch I dropped it in gear and the two rear wheels immediately started spinning. I put it in neutral, we added winch pressure and then drove/winched it out.

My conclusion is that not having a way of locking the front and rear wheels together was the problem.
To clarify -- she was not actually in 4WD? Or she was in 4WD but when you put it in gear it went back into 2WD/RWD?

I just scanned Ford's info about the Explorer and it's not clear that it has traditional "4WD":
https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/models/explorer-xlt/

There is no mention of a locking transfer case, no mention of low range. I just took a quick look, so it may have those things, but if not, I'm not surprised by what you experienced.

Last edited:
OP
OP
magicbus

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To clarify -- she was not actually in 4WD? Or she was in 4WD but when you put it in gear it went back 2WD/RWD?

I just scanned Ford's info about the Explorer and it's not clear that it has traditional "4WD":
https://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/models/explorer-xlt/

There is no mention of a locking transfer case, no mention of low range. I just took a quick look, so it may have those things, but if not, I'm not surprised by what you experienced.
There is no option for 2WD vs 4WD. Her statement was "My husband said the 4WD is fully automatic".

Interestingly enough, my wife has the same 4WD-badged model but a year or two newer. She has a selector just like our G.O.A.T. mode. Once when she was completely stuck in mud at our local brush dump I had her switch it to Mud Mode and she drove out. My wife has a Sand Mode selection but I don't see any evidence it would lock the front and back wheels as the Lock Button on my BS BL does.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
YUes there’s a drive mode dial which may help, not unlike the non-BL goat modes. But it’s standard crossover AWD, I’m assuming on the order of the non-BL models for as much as I know about it. Pretty good. Probably better than many AWD systems. But I wouldn’t think the Explorer, at least not any of the newer crossover ones (my 93 had a truck based 4WD from the Ranger albeit activated by buttons as was common at the time) would be suited for beach driving.

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Spend some time at Off-Rodeo (Moab) and it will all become a lot clearer! I learned a lot there!

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no option for 2WD vs 4WD. Her statement was "My husband said the 4WD is fully automatic".

Interestingly enough, my wife has the same 4WD-badged model but a year or two newer. She has a selector just like our G.O.A.T. mode. Once when she was completely stuck in mud at our local brush dump I had her switch it to Mud Mode and she drove out. My wife has a Sand Mode selection but I don't see any evidence it would lock the front and back wheels as the Lock Button on my BS BL does.
I see. That makes sense.

From what I've seen on YouTube, having the various G.O.A.T. modes does make a difference. In some cases when a BS BL is left in 'normal' it still does OK, but (as I'm sure you know) selecting a mode like "Sand" effectively tells the AWD system what to expect so (for example) "4WD Lock" and the rear diff lock will be engaged ahead of time -- instead of forcing the AWD system to figure out what's needed after the tires start to spin.

Maybe the "fully automatic" 4WD in the Explorer is not quick enough to engage -- and/or, it isn't a very effective system.

OP
OP
magicbus

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know if anyone is still following this thread but I had made a comment about never using Sand Mode again and I need to take that back. My BS tracked flawlessly in Normal but I could feel the engine wanting to downshift but lugging instead, so I switched to Sand Mode. Once I figured out that it would upshift at 16 mph it made things much nicer.

I tried manual but in Sand Mode it won’t leave 1st gear until I hit the right RPMs and I hate driving these manual/auto setups. I think I might try Sport Mode for fun and see if the different shift points make me comfortable, but if not I’ll stick to Sand Mode.

Two notes…. First I love watching the dash Intelligent FWD display when in 4 wheel lock, and two, I couldn’t be more pleased with how confident my BS is in deep sand. Next trip is through the really dry deep soft sand chasing clams in a place few go without a boat under them.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know if anyone is still following this thread but I had made a comment about never using Sand Mode again and I need to take that back. My BS tracked flawlessly in Normal but I could feel the engine wanting to downshift but lugging instead, so I switched to Sand Mode. Once I figured out that it would upshift at 16 mph it made things much nicer.

I tried manual but in Sand Mode it won’t leave 1st gear until I hit the right RPMs and I hate driving these manual/auto setups. I think I might try Sport Mode for fun and see if the different shift points make me comfortable, but if not I’ll stick to Sand Mode.

Two notes…. First I love watching the dash Intelligent FWD display when in 4 wheel lock, and two, I couldn’t be more pleased with how confident my BS is in deep sand. Next trip is through the really dry deep soft sand chasing clams in a place few go without a boat under them.
Looking forward to a dry deep soft sand report. :cool:

OP
OP
magicbus

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Working the beach today I had a BS Big Bend on the beach pretty far along. I asked how the ride was and he admitted he got stuck coming up the back of the dune onto the beach due to having to stop for traffic. He was a good driver and backed down the dune himself and restarted.

I asked him if he had the locking 4WD and he didn’t (of course based on the trim level). I’m pretty sure that would have made a difference. I didn’t even see a button to turn off the traction control, which is a big concern because a friend with a Wrangler just ruined his brakes because he was clueless about turning off traction control when in soft sand. Hopefully it can be shut off, although usually this is a 4WD option.

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I asked him if he had the locking 4WD and he didn’t (of course based on the trim level). I’m pretty sure that would have made a difference. I didn’t even see a button to turn off the traction control, which is a big concern because a friend with a Wrangler just ruined his brakes because he was clueless about turning off traction control when in soft sand. Hopefully it can be shut off, although usually this is a 4WD option.
Models that don't have the button can change the setting using the menus in the Information Display.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
My neighbor friend who lives on next street over bought a '22 look-a-like to mine. They had it out on beach in VA today and told me it handled it well. They bought an air pump so they can air tires down if need by.
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands in deep sand - personal review IMG_20220625_202426
Sponsored