tombstone81

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex, 2021 Mazda CX-9
Well it took three visits but I guess "third time was the charm" (along with some disappointing negative survey feedback for Ford). LIke so many others on this forum and the Facebook groups, my 2021 Badlands started making a bizarre series of engine noises after about 2-3 months of ownership. Basically a steady, low, guttural hummmmmm (or perhaps a child's raspberry sound) at around 1500rpm / 15 mph. Along with a series of clicks and hisses on deceleration with engine braking. First two Ford dealers' service people said either "this is normal turbo noise" or "we couldn't replicate the problem". Both responses were astounding to me, and likely a copout from people not really willing to invest the time scrutinizing, because I heard it EVERY. SINGLE. TIME I drove the BS.

Finally cornered a caring and fastidious service tech who went for an extended drive with me (and also happened to drive a 2.0 Ecoboost himself, so he knew how the engine should sound) and totally agreed with me that this was not in fact "normal". Diagnosed it as a faulty turbo wastegate. After the usual wait for parts in this Covid supply chain delayed world we live in...I got a brand new turbo installed (full warranty of course, no $$ out of my pocket) and now she drives and sounds exactly as she should. I was getting so close to giving up on the Badlands because, despite my love for the vehicle, the rattles and quality concerns were taking all the pleasure of driving away.

So don't give up fighting with your Ford dealership if you are still experiencing this...and get it done before your warranty runs out as it was a huge job!
Sponsored

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing this!

Ksnau

Heritage
First Name
SEAN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
I had this on my escape. Basically, if you let off the gas and you hear kind of like a rattle it usually means that the wastegate linkage or rather it's the pole that the wastegate linkage connects to on some of the turbos I thought it was only the earlier ones. I thought this was cured so that sucks but the earlier ones had a softer metal and as the linkage would push back and forth opening and closing the wastegate would expand the hole and eventually it wouldn't have pressure on it all the time and so it would kind of rattle and it would actually bypass air around the turbos. You're also not getting your full boost and so you're not making as much power as you could and eventually it can lead to the point where it just stays open and you don't make any boost and you have to replace the turbo. And while it's not super hard, if you have all-wheel drive, the PTU is right in the way and it's definitely a full weekend job.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
The best thing you did was ask for a service advisor to go along with you on a drive. I've done this before (by the recommendation of my father in law) to demo the issue you are having.

Works every time.

scaryhours

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
The Bronco Sport takes the cake as the worst new vehicle I’ve ever purchased. I love it, at least want to, but theres always some new thing popping up that needs fixed. Glad yours is sorted. It’s almost laughable how bad these are assembled.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Mine had a faint rattle on lite throttle sounded like coming out of driver side AC vent. Swapped in new revised Manual Park Release cable noise is gone. Ford has revised that cable twice during 2022 to solve the noise issue.

Not one single other issue with mine love it so far. But yeah some legit complaints out there lemons slip through. But a large number of trouble free and happy owners are out there too.

scaryhours

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BB
I dumped my 2022 Badlands after having it only 10 months. I couldn't deal with the issues. I have to agree with you, it's buy far the worst new vehicle I've ever purshased. I wanted to love it, but all of the grinding noises, and other issues just took the enjoyment out of driving it. Good Riddance!
I’m learning to live with it. Test drove a few other vehicle, including a Hornet - which takes the cake as the worst new car I’ve ever driven.

but yeah, these post COVID cars are assembled poorly

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Like pretty much every new vehicle ever sold...
One way to reduce risk is long test drive before signing. Walk away after the test drive if one feels its not one of the good ones.

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I hate to hear about owners having problems they can't get resolved. But, it's well known that people with negative vibes about a product are far more vocal than ones who are satisfied. Not that the posters didn't have a legit problem, but single experiences are anecdotal and don't mean much from a statistical standpoint. My anecdotal experience has been great. I love my BL and with 28k it's never been back to the dealership.

For a more fact-based reliability rating we need to look at a much larger sample from an unbiased source. Here is J.D. Powes' rating 2023 Ford Bronco Sport Ratings, Pricing, Reviews and Awards | J.D. Power (jdpower.com)