kicker

Badlands
First Name
Renee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Do the switch. I was lucky enough to get the Badlands with everything I wanted, because I got it before all the shortages and just listening to folks who didn't, I am sure that you will not regret getting what you want. It's a hassle....but do it anyway.
Sponsored

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
I originally bought a modestly equipped OBX, when a loaded BL became available 1.5 months later I sold the OBX to Carmax for $5k more than I paid for it and bought the BL for MSRP. The sale of the OBX literally paid the difference between price of the two.

Reactions: Jrl
OP
OP
Cactusjk

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I originally bought a modestly equipped OBX, when a loaded BL became available 1.5 months later I sold the OBX to Carmax for $5k more than I paid for it and bought the BL for MSRP. The sale of the OBX literally paid the difference between price of the two.
I am hoping the dealer trade will work out so I can save on tax.
I would consider Carmax but not sure how much of a hassle that would be.

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
When I just did mine, I found the dealer offered under what the car buyers would by just enough that trading in makes sense. It’s like they knew, and they do, exactly what the trade is worth and what others would offer. So take an optimistic number, subtract the tax difference & a couple other credits they gave me, & suddenly they’re not giving me what I want for my trade but in the end I’m financially no better off to sell it to a car buyer yet the risk & work then falls on me. Whereas trading it in, which I did, then they take care of loans & the like. But they also get a trade now for cheap that they’ll turn around & sell for top dollar. I’m probably not stating it clearly, but in the end though the price offered by the dealer trade was less, in the end it worked out to be about the same as selling it elsewhere.

Flash3x

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
When I just did mine, I found the dealer offered under what the car buyers would by just enough that trading in makes sense. It’s like they knew, and they do, exactly what the trade is worth and what others would offer. So take an optimistic number, subtract the tax difference & a couple other credits they gave me, & suddenly they’re not giving me what I want for my trade but in the end I’m financially no better off to sell it to a car buyer yet the risk & work then falls on me. Whereas trading it in, which I did, then they take care of loans & the like. But they also get a trade now for cheap that they’ll turn around & sell for top dollar. I’m probably not stating it clearly, but in the end though the price offered by the dealer trade was less, in the end it worked out to be about the same as selling it elsewhere.
Value for our trade-in, a 2013 Explorer, would have worked out the same way. The dealer offered less but we would have saved on the taxes. Carvanna offered more but then we had to pay the extra tax.

In the end we sold to Carvanna because the dealer made their offer when we ORDERED our BSBL. They couldn’t guarantee a trade-in value for when we would take delivery of our BS. Not knowing exactly how long delivery would take and not knowing what the used car market would be like then, we decided to “get while the gettin’ is good”. Turns out the used car market never cooled off and we would’ve been fine but you never know.

We actually made out plus $1500ish even after paying taxes instead of trading in by selling to Carvanna because I learned how to play their algorithm using 2 email addresses.

Reactions: MJE

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
We actually made out plus $1500ish even after paying taxes instead of trading in by selling to Carvanna because I learned how to play their algorithm using 2 email addresses.
Do tell!

Flash3x

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F350 Platinum
I shouldn’t say “play”, you can’t actually manipulate the algorithm. What you can do is use 2 emails addresses, gmails work fine, to “save” your best offer while you try for a better offer with the other email address.

When I first tried Carvanna they offered about $16k for the Explorer. Dealer was offering $15k trade in. Taxes would’ve been $900 so it was a wash. Decided to bank the money just in case the bottom fell out of the used car market. I remembered when I initially entered the Explorer’s info I over-estimated the mileage by a few thousand miles. I went back and re-enetered the info thinking I’d get a little better offer. Instead it spit out an offer for $14k! With lower mileage! WTF!

After a little research I found that Carvanna’s offers are completely computer generated, no humans involved. The algorithm gathers information and submits offers in real time. Offers can change minute to minute. The problem is if you get an ok offer, you can wait a day or two and resubmit hoping for a better offer, but you might get a worse offer. And once that happens the original offer is GONE. The work around for this is to use 2 email addresses. Get your first offer with email address #1. Wait a couple days and try again with email address #2. If the 2nd offer is better keep it and try again a few days later with email address #1. If the offer isn’t better keep the #1 offer and try again with #2. And on and on it goes…

I ended up selling the Explorer to Carvanna for over $18k. We actually did a little better than the $1500 I mentioned in my previous post but paid a little more tax too. I did this same tactic when I sold them my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 that had holes rusted clear through on every single body panel. (That’s exactly how I described it on Carvanna too). First offer was for $3500 and I would’ve been ok with that because that truck was toast, but I decided to play the game for awhile just to see what I could get for it. Lowest offer was $3000. I ended up selling it for $5500.

The Shark

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2023 Bronco WT
Not much of a hassle at all, I sold 2 cars to Carmax last year, was a breeze, you get the offer, if you like it fill out some paperwork and they hand you a check. The tax thing certainly is something to consider, I would go to Carmax and get an offer before you visit the dealer, you can use that as leverage. Most dealers are smart and if they can match the Carmax offer it will generally be minus tax savings which is really what you want anyway. When I bought the BL I showed the dealer the Carmax offer, the dealer said take the offer, we can't come close even with the tax advantage.

Juliet

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Well a few months ago I ordered a BL with everything I wanted on it including:

Moonroof
360+
Trailer Hitch
Cargo Management System
Carbon Gray Low Gloss Wheels (235/65/17)

It included the $1000 order incentive and lower price since I ordered before the price increase.

With no updates for a long time I bought a similar one without the above and added BFG KO2s (245/65/17). All indications were that some of the above items would either not be available or would take forever.

I guess I started to rethink everything when I looked at adding a OEM hitch and wiring with a new bumper skin. Probably would have cost close to $1500 at the dealer with the risk of messing it up, scratches, etc.

I actually went to Off-Rodeo Moab with the ordered VIN.

I am leaning towards trading in my current Badlands (60 miles) for the one with everthing on it. Torn now about the wheels/tires but I might just go with the OEM setup for now. You don’t see many of the OEM steelies. And the finance rates have probably gone up.

Just a hassle to shift.

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Dilemma 48358710-70CC-451A-9A69-3DF4169CC234
I am in a similar dilemma. I ordered a BL 7 months ago and when I didn't hear anything for a few months I found a BL on a lot that had nearly everything I ordered. The one I ordered just arrived at the dealership yesterday. That bronco is a different color and includes cargo management, but doesn't have the tow package like the one I bought off the lot. I have really begun to love the color of my current BL, so I am likely going to keep the one I have . . . even though the one I ordered would be cheaper. Since the dealership would make a lot more selling the other one to someone else I am wondering if I can try to talk them into giving me something in return (oil change/cargo management/tinting). Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

OP
OP
Cactusjk

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
I am in a similar dilemma. I ordered a BL 7 months ago and when I didn't hear anything for a few months I found a BL on a lot that had nearly everything I ordered. The one I ordered just arrived at the dealership yesterday. That bronco is a different color and includes cargo management, but doesn't have the tow package like the one I bought off the lot. I have really begun to love the color of my current BL, so I am likely going to keep the one I have . . . even though the one I ordered would be cheaper. Since the dealership would make a lot more selling the other one to someone else I am wondering if I can try to talk them into giving me something in return (oil change/cargo management/tinting). Doesn't hurt to ask, right?
My biggest desire is the tow hitch on the ordered one. Just don’t want to risk a bad install. Worst case I can live without it and put my bike inside.

OP
OP
Cactusjk

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Looks like the dealer wants to give me $35K for my BL with 60 miles on it. I paid $39 plus $1K for BFG KO2s. Not sure it is still worth it…

And 48 month financing went from 1.9 to 2.99.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Looks like the dealer wants to give me $35K for my BL with 60 miles on it. I paid $39 plus $1K for BFG KO2s. Not sure it is still worth it…

And 48 month financing went from 1.9 to 2.99.
Get a quote from Carvanna (or similar).

OP
OP
Cactusjk

Cactusjk

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Actually, I’m good. Just too much hassle for items I will rarely use after all this. Plus this dealer forces you into $1400 of stuff I don’t want. Lesson relearned…
Sponsored