Pintarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, '03 F-150 7700 Pkg
Has anyone successfully bypassed the factory amp using an audio interface? (I hope I'm even saying that right.)
I over estimated my abilities with car audio and didn't take into account the A²B system that Ford uses. There were definitely some lessons learned, so hopefully someone learns from my mistakes!

I bought an Axxess AXDSPX-A2B2 (https://axxessinterfaces.com/product/AXDSPX-A2B2) to bypass the factory B&O amplifier/DSP, but the Axxess 20-pin female connector's bottom slot doesn't line up with the factory male connector, figured I'd see what the options are before I start filing the connector or splicing wires.

It seems like the NAV TV product could be compatible, (https://navtv.com/products/NTV-KIT889/zen-a2b-dsp12a-a2b.html) it has the Bronco and Escape listed, has anyone tried using that yet? Probably the next step if I can't get the Axxess working.

The whole point of this is to have my own DSP dialing in the sound, since I don't think we can make changes to the B&O DSP. I originally bought a JBL DSP4086 thinking that's all I would need, I guess we'll see what happens when an amp with a built-in DSP is powering another DSP audio interface.

EDIT: I've replaced all the speakers in the car, including a downfiring 6.5" Skar subwoofer I built a box for and tapped into the existing subwoofer wires. The instructions for both interface manufacturers say to remove the existing factory amp, as it is replaced by the interface and then powered by an additional amp of your choosing, mine hopefully being the JBL DSP4086.

EDIT 7/14/22: Here's what the connector looks like that needs to be modified. I tried to highlight how the black male connector from the car, the one that plugs into the factory amp, has a ridge that is off-center and won't fit into the gray female connector with a slot in the center that comes with the kit. It looks ugly, but when I checked the fitment of it, they connected perfectly so I left it alone. You're basically just trying to widen that center slot just enough to get the off-center ridge into there, it won't take much to widen it enough to fit.
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_164654438~2
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_164753319~2
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_165020956
Sponsored

Last edited:

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
You’re better off just bypassing the shitty oem amp and going with a new one and better speakers. Hell even just swapping the 4 door speakers and adding a lil amp would be 100x better.

OP
OP
Pintarrr

Pintarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re better off just bypassing the shitty oem amp and going with a new one and better speakers. Hell even just swapping the 4 door speakers and adding a lil amp would be 100x better.
That's the plan, already replaced every speaker, just trying to keep things like the chime and voice commands still working.

OP
OP
Pintarrr

Pintarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Alright, for anyone wondering, I used the Axxess interface to bypass the B&O factory amp, I just had to cut a slot with my Dremel into the Axxess' female connector so the male connector tab could fit into it. I also had to select "2020 - 2022 Escape" on the Axxess app when I was setting it up, seems to work better than the "Bronco" option, and there isn't an option for the Sport yet. Haven't heard the rear parking sensor yet, but the chimes and the voice commands all work. The fake engine noise still gets pumped in when the music is off, but I don't think the front tweeters or center channel are working at the moment, I'm still working on that.

Anyway, hopefully someone in the future might look at this in a Google search when they're ready to completely overhaul their B&O sound system in a Bronco Sport.

Update 7/12/22: The reverse sensor chime works as it did before. I have noticed my phone, a Motorola RAZR 5G, is now having trouble connecting to the head unit Bluetooth, but it does eventually connect after a couple of tries. The other bug I noticed is the head unit sound settings default to having the fader and balance to the front right, I'll keep playing around with settings in a few days and see what I can come up with.

Update 7/15/22: My phone will Bluetooth just fine now, and Android Auto works as it did. Still no fix for the head unit defaulting the Fader and Balancer to the front right.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Alright, for anyone wondering, I used the Axxess interface to bypass the B&O factory amp, I just had to cut a slot with my Dremel into the Axxess' female connector so the male connector tab could fit into it. I also had to select "2020 - 2022 Escape" on the Axxess app when I was setting it up, seems to work better than the "Bronco" option, and there isn't an option for the Sport yet. Haven't heard the rear parking sensor yet, but the chimes and the voice commands all work. The fake engine noise still gets pumped in when the music is off, but I don't think the front tweeters or center channel are working at the moment, I'm still working on that.

Anyway, hopefully someone in the future might look at this in a Google search when they're ready to completely overhaul their B&O sound system in a Bronco Sport.
Some photos of the connectors you are referring to would be grand.

OP
OP
Pintarrr

Pintarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some photos of the connectors you are referring to would be grand.
Sure, it'll be a couple days but I'll add some to the first post. It was the only modification I had to do, everything else fit and wired together perfectly.

2XIPA

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, Civic, and a Subaru
OP
OP
Pintarrr

Pintarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm enjoying this thread. Would you happen to have any picture's of the right hand panel in the back removed showing the subwoofer? I'm curious that if the B&O subwoofer was removed a small subwoofer could be installed in it's place? e.g;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PVVL5G4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_9?smid=A270FEYNWLVOMA&psc=1 It's 4.63 x 9 x 2.75 inches
I'll get a picture of that, the factory sub mounted and unmounted, and the factory amp location on the other side. That downfiring sub looks like a great idea, I think mounting it to the floor would be the best option anyway. Hopefully it fits, I'll even make a cardboard box model of that sub for funsies so anyone looking at this can get an idea of how it'll be.

Last edited:

2XIPA

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fantastic, thanks!

OP
OP
Pintarrr

Pintarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I got what I hope are alright pictures of the rear passenger cargo panel where the subwoofer is. I made a little model roughly the size of that small Pioneer subwoofer, and placed it where I think a viable option would be for it. I think you'll still need to get creative mounting it, but it seems like it's doable.

I'd forgotten how much more narrow it is in the lower rear corner of that void space, you can kinda see that it's roughly 3 1/4" at the narrow point.

I lost the motivation to take pictures of the other side where the amplifier is, but it's very similar. I have more pictures of the amp and the sub by themselves if anyone is curious how the mounting brackets look.

Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_160429469
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_160521247
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_163323569
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_163413870
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_163500312
Ford Bronco Sport B&O Audio Interface IMG_20220714_163520271

Last edited:

2XIPA

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome thanks! Looks like there’s room for even a larger subwoofer if you were so inclined. What are the distances between the mounting points on the sub?

Almost seems you could mount a sub this large into the space. 10" x 8" x 3" https://www.crutchfield.com/S-q2N2qIIWYAe/p_109BASPRON/JBL-BassPro-Nano.html

I just got my preliminary build date of 9/17 so I have plenty of time to daydream.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pintarrr

Pintarrr

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome thanks! Looks like there’s room for even a larger subwoofer if you were so inclined. What are the distances between the mounting points on the sub?

Almost seems you could mount a sub this large into the space. 10" x 8" x 3" https://www.crutchfield.com/S-q2N2qIIWYAe/p_109BASPRON/JBL-BassPro-Nano.html

I just got my preliminary build date of 9/17 so I have plenty of time to daydream.
I think you'll wanna wait until you can make a model of the mounting points, a couple are depressed back into the void space a couple inches and they're not in any sensible position.

https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/electrical/other-electrical-related-parts/speaker-13292593-1?pdp=y

2XIPA

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that. Being newly retired this year, and with newly found time, I built a couple subwoofer models a while ago. 🙂

Curious as to what speakers did you use to replace the B&O’s? I’ve read that some are getting good results not replacing the door tweeters or dash speakers. Also read in the Mach-E forum some people are tapping into the 12v outlet in the back to power their subwoofer.

Looks like it’s been a fun build. Cheers!

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
Thanks for the detailed writeup and photos. I'm not at the stage where I'm ready to do an audio upgrade yet, but this will be valuable info for anyone going down the path in the future. Hats off for blazing the trail.

Froggy

Base
First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford bronco sport base
Thanks for that. Being newly retired this year, and with newly found time, I built a couple subwoofer models a while ago. 🙂

Curious as to what speakers did you use to replace the B&O’s? I’ve read that some are getting good results not replacing the door tweeters or dash speakers. Also read in the Mach-E forum some people are tapping into the 12v outlet in the back to power their subwoofer.

Looks like it’s been a fun build. Cheers!
I would make sure you choose your, remote on, correctly. It is very possible, an amp could come on, without, the key.
Sponsored