Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Posting right now my new video (first part) of our trip to Sedona for the Outlaw Trail.

The trail was tricky! But it was a blast. I think things are magnified by the windshield... some of the steps and rocks looked bigger than they do on video LOL.

I'm new to offroad. So this was my third "trail" and the most "real" of all of them.

Hope you can enjoy it. The first part is our stop at the Hoananki Ruins... Part 2 will have some footage of Outlaw. Unfortunately, we are new at this whole thing and missed some great opportunities for shots.

Sponsored

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
Nice. Sedona is an awesome area.

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nice. Sedona is an awesome area.
Yeah... And Outlaw was just the right difficulty for me. 4/10 in OnX. It had some super steep grades with shelves and ALOT of rock roads (I would say gravel, but ... that isn't gravel... its rocks). Some good side to side angling to navigate and all that. Really helped me understand the Bronco's capabilities with the upgrades and what lines I can and can't attempt.

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nice. The wife and I did a bit of hiking around Sedona a few summers back. We flew into the airport there at Sedona--it's unique.

Ford Bronco Sport Another Video... Part 1 - Outlaw Trail in Sedona Sedona-Airport-by-Jessica-Ambats
Very. It reminds me of some mountain airports in SE Asia. A bit sketch.

The restaurant there isn’t bad. Nothing to write home about but it is a good place if you need a quick meal.

I want to get back up there and run some more trails. But with the monsoons most everything is sloppy. I’m not ready to try mudding just yet. Especially not solo.

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
We did Outlaw today as an out-and-back. The only place I switched out of "normal" was where there were some stairsteps that I thought could use a little help. There were a few Jeeps spectating, and I didn't want to embarrass us.

This trail was pretty well-suited to the little Bronco, we bumped bottom a couple times on loose rocks on the crown of the road, but other than that it was drama-free. I did bring a significant amount of Sedona back to Prescott, as there were some muddy holes along the way.

Ford Bronco Sport Another Video... Part 1 - Outlaw Trail in Sedona IMG_0820

Ford Bronco Sport Another Video... Part 1 - Outlaw Trail in Sedona IMG_0819

As you can see, the weather sucked as usual here but a good pizza and a passable Old Fashioned in Cottonwood made the day complete.

Thanks to the OP @Folkman for reminding me of this trail.

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
We did Outlaw today as an out-and-back. The only place I switched out of "normal" was where there were some stairsteps that I thought could use a little help. There were a few Jeeps spectating, and I didn't want to embarrass us.

This trail was pretty well-suited to the little Bronco, we bumped bottom a couple times on loose rocks on the crown of the road, but other than that it was drama-free. I did bring a significant amount of Sedona back to Prescott, as there were some muddy holes along the way.

Ford Bronco Sport Another Video... Part 1 - Outlaw Trail in Sedona IMG_0820

Ford Bronco Sport Another Video... Part 1 - Outlaw Trail in Sedona IMG_0819

As you can see, the weather sucked as usual here but a good pizza and a passable Old Fashioned in Cottonwood made the day complete.

Thanks to the OP @Folkman for reminding me of this trail.
it was a great trail for me because I’m new to all this. And since I’m new… it was a lot more difficult from looking out the window than it really was. We started from hoananki side. That last set of steps was the one that got me really worried. But it just walked it no issues.

it was good opportunity to try out that “you can go faster on bumpy roads” for sure. But at least now I am more confident in what the bronco can do (still not sure what it can’t do LOL).

I hit a rock with my rear skid with a small kerplunk…. And tossed a rock into my front for a good ping. But that was about it.

we should pair up sometime. I could learn from you! I’ve been out with summit once as well… but haven’t looked at what they are doing lately. It was a good group of people.

there were a few people on the trail. They were concerned I had bit off more than the bronco could chew. I think it can chew a lot more.

Reactions: MJE

BroncoMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion, '22 BS
it was a great trail for me because I’m new to all this. And since I’m new… it was a lot more difficult from looking out the window than it really was. We started from hoananki side. That last set of steps was the one that got me really worried. But it just walked it no issues.

it was good opportunity to try out that “you can go faster on bumpy roads” for sure. But at least now I am more confident in what the bronco can do (still not sure what it can’t do LOL).

I hit a rock with my rear skid with a small kerplunk…. And tossed a rock into my front for a good ping. But that was about it.

we should pair up sometime. I could learn from you! I’ve been out with summit once as well… but haven’t looked at what they are doing lately. It was a good group of people.

there were a few people on the trail. They were concerned I had bit off more than the bronco could chew. I think it can chew a lot more.
Yes, that last set of steps on the return trip was the one that I used "Rock Crawl" on. There was a stock-ish 4Runner in front of me, in 4-low (I could hear it) and some Jeeps near the bottom playing the part of Vulture's Row. 4-Runner went up it fine, had to reposition once. I had to take it slower than he did, I was mostly concerned about rebound and smacking something as I came off of a feature. Curiously, I didn't have any interference in the step section. I'll admit I was concerned when I first saw them, especially because I was going down them - if it had been an out-and-back with a dead end, I probably wouldn't have gone down them in the first place, knowing I'd have no choice but to go back up and lacking the certainty of being able to do so. I knew I had the "out" at the main road at Honanki, and while it was a good bit of backtracking if I couldn't make the steps, at least it wasn't going to be an unintentional camping trip. As it turned out, it was almost effortless.

I agree with your comments on the suspension. The last couple times I've had the little Sport on a dirt road, I have remarked on how good the suspension is. It eats up washboard unless it's pretty bad, and just gives a far comfier ride than I'd guess for given conditions.

Not sure you'd really "learn" from me, it's just time and experience. I'm more familiar with seriously more capable vehicles, so this "being careful" with a nice and more fragile car that I care about is new to me. And I make plenty of mistakes.

Next time you're going to be up this way or reasonably close, let me know - I'll DM you with my cell #.

OP
OP
Folkman

Folkman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Yes, that last set of steps on the return trip was the one that I used "Rock Crawl" on. There was a stock-ish 4Runner in front of me, in 4-low (I could hear it) and some Jeeps near the bottom playing the part of Vulture's Row. 4-Runner went up it fine, had to reposition once. I had to take it slower than he did, I was mostly concerned about rebound and smacking something as I came off of a feature. Curiously, I didn't have any interference in the step section. I'll admit I was concerned when I first saw them, especially because I was going down them - if it had been an out-and-back with a dead end, I probably wouldn't have gone down them in the first place, knowing I'd have no choice but to go back up and lacking the certainty of being able to do so. I knew I had the "out" at the main road at Honanki, and while it was a good bit of backtracking if I couldn't make the steps, at least it wasn't going to be an unintentional camping trip. As it turned out, it was almost effortless.

I agree with your comments on the suspension. The last couple times I've had the little Sport on a dirt road, I have remarked on how good the suspension is. It eats up washboard unless it's pretty bad, and just gives a far comfier ride than I'd guess for given conditions.

Not sure you'd really "learn" from me, it's just time and experience. I'm more familiar with seriously more capable vehicles, so this "being careful" with a nice and more fragile car that I care about is new to me. And I make plenty of mistakes.

Next time you're going to be up this way or reasonably close, let me know - I'll DM you with my cell #.
i started at hoananki so I went up them. It handled it like nothing. I do have the HRG kit and 245/65s so a tad taller than stock. But I was concerned. One of the steps is very irregular and I wasn’t sure it wouldn’t damage the pan (I’ve already done that at wickenburg). But she lifted a tire and floated right over it.

Thanks for the DM. I’ll let you know…. Eldest hitting college. So really just busy. And with the monsoons you know that stuff has got to be sloppy right about now.