Badlands
First Name
Kelsea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Rover LR2
Ok, stick with me here.
Beginning of January: Put down a deposit with a dealership for a BS that was currently being manufactured. Was originally told that it was not a demo and would be available once it arrived.
End of January: Called the dealership back for updates and they told me that unfortunately, they made a mistake and that this car was actually ordered by a customer who would have first right at refusal but they would contact me immediately if the customer no longer wanted it.
February: Called and spoke with a different salesperson who at first made it seem like it was going to be available until I said that was interesting because I had a deposit on it. He then spoke to someone else and called me back saying that they had to refund the deposit because it was ordered by a customer.
March: I called back again and spoke to a different salesperson who told me they recently got it on the lot and that it is a demo vehicle and is unsure when it would be available but encouraged me to order one from scratch.
Note: that my $1,000 deposit was never actually refunded and the VIN number has remained the same throughout all of these calls (I know it is the same car we were talking about throughout these calls). This is the exact build I want and has been extremely hard to find. Of course, I would've liked to have just placed an order in the beginning if I knew this was going to be such a complicated scenario but now it's a little late in the game. Also, I am a young woman who probably appears to fit the bill of someone they think they can push around and take advantage of.

My question(s): Is there a way I can tell if this car is actually a demo between the VIN number, window sticker and Bronco Sport Forum VIN tracker? Could they be trying to avoid selling it to me because they found out I have x-plan? What is their motive for changing the story so many times? Is there a way to ~politely~ call them on it? Any advice?
Sponsored

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
Ok, stick with me here.
Beginning of January: Put down a deposit with a dealership for a BS that was currently being manufactured. Was originally told that it was not a demo and would be available once it arrived.
End of January: Called the dealership back for updates and they told me that unfortunately, they made a mistake and that this car was actually ordered by a customer who would have first right at refusal but they would contact me immediately if the customer no longer wanted it.
February: Called and spoke with a different salesperson who at first made it seem like it was going to be available until I said that was interesting because I had a deposit on it. He then spoke to someone else and called me back saying that they had to refund the deposit because it was ordered by a customer.
March: I called back again and spoke to a different salesperson who told me they recently got it on the lot and that it is a demo vehicle and is unsure when it would be available but encouraged me to order one from scratch.
Note: that my $1,000 deposit was never actually refunded and the VIN number has remained the same throughout all of these calls (I know it is the same car we were talking about throughout these calls). This is the exact build I want and has been extremely hard to find. Of course, I would've liked to have just placed an order in the beginning if I knew this was going to be such a complicated scenario but now it's a little late in the game. Also, I am a young woman who probably appears to fit the bill of someone they think they can push around and take advantage of.

My question(s): Is there a way I can tell if this car is actually a demo between the VIN number, window sticker and Bronco Sport Forum VIN tracker? Could they be trying to avoid selling it to me because they found out I have x-plan? What is their motive for changing the story so many times? Is there a way to ~politely~ call them on it? Any advice?
If you paid with a debit or credit card I would charge it back and find a new dealership.

Donnie722

First Edition
First Name
Donel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti g37x
Ok, stick with me here.

When I put my vin into the tracking system on this forum, it has my last name attached to it. So if you put the vin in it should have a customer name if it is a retail order. There may be some nuance to this but worth a try if you haven't already.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A Badlands w/Badlands package -- and especially with everything including Assist+, towing, and the optional "steelies" and upgraded tire package -- has been extremely hard-to-find up to now. EVERYTHING I've seen out there and inquired about turned out to be a mannequin program, not-for-sale demo vehicle. It may be the same case for you? There are a handful of stories about confusion around this, even at the dealerships -- the sales people don't all realize these mannequins aren't for sale yet. Unfortunately, they ALL seem to be representing the mannequin vehicle(s) as on the lot and available to buy! One sure-fire way to tell (99%+), if it has a bunch of rack and accessories installed up-top, is a BL w/the BL package, superflous floor and cargo mats and other accessories inside -- it's a mannequin.

I have observed a couple of mannequins disappear from the Ford website 'Search Inventory' (from Build and Price) -- even though I know the exact vehicle (and VIN#) arrived (and is still at) the dealership when they were previously "Dealer-Ordered," or "In-Transit."

I also find that those VINs no longer come up successfully in the tracking tool on the Forum here, even though they DID right up until the vehicles arrived at their respective dealerships. (TBH though, I suspect this is maybe because the vehicle is no longer in transit, but at it's destination.)

DanielFE

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE
Kelsea,

Unfortunately I am not surprised you are getting the run-around. And I would guess that there are a combination of reasons.

From my personal experience with the dealerships I interacted with before purchasing a Bronco Sport FE in Dec., many of the dealership employees don't really know what is going on in the order/production/delivery timeline of the Bronco Sport. Or if they do, they lack the ability to explain specifics in an email or phone call. Maybe the big brother Bronco occupies all of their emotional energy.
I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to be introduced to a specific salesperson by a friend who purchases a new F150 every other year from the same dealership and salesman. Many of his family members purchase from this same guy, who has worked at the same local Ford dealership, for 25 years. I had previously been in very brief email/phone communication with this salesman and jumped at the chance to meet him in person. He answered all of my questions, and the ones he couldn't answer he went through the process of finding out the answer to and getting back to me. He also allowed me to look at their internal emails regarding the demo Bronco Sports to explain the misleading advertising many dealerships were participating in. I told him exactly what I wanted, a Badlands with Badlands package in A51 or Cactus Gray. I even, not so subtly dropped a hint, that I would also take an unwanted First Edition. He politely laughed and said don't hold your breath.

At this point they had only taken delivery on 4 Bronco Sport Big Bends, 2 were already sold. Knowing that I wouldn't buy it, he allowed me to be the first person to drive one of their remaining Big Bends. We exchanged cell phone numbers before I left and he promised to update me when he had more information on delivery of the other various models. I buckled down for a long wait.

About 48 hours later he called me to let me know they had received their first 2.0 liter model, a First Edition in A51, and that he thought the person that ordered it would back out of the purchase.
A day or so later he called on Christmas Eve and gave me first refusal. I left work around 2pm and went straight to the dealership to see it. The FE was parked inside on the show room floor with signs all over it saying sold and do not touch. He let me drive it and we had already agreed on MSRP pricing over the phone if I decided to move forward.
I did randomly interact with some other salespeople at the dealership during both of my visits. They knew shockingly little about the Sport. I guess it was just another vehicle to them. And they clearly are competitive (i.e. non-cooperative) with other salespeople.

If you can, I would suggest visiting the Ford dealership in person and requesting to speak with a manager to either get additional information about your specific VIN or to refund your money. Then I would drive straight to another Ford dealership, preferably one that has a reputable salesperson (online reviews ?) and show them that you are a serious buyer. As a buyer I think it can be difficult to find a salesperson that you can build rapport with and rely on. But I am convinced that it makes a world of difference in the buying process.

Daniel

DanielFE

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE
A Badlands w/Badlands package -- and especially with everything including Assist+, towing, and the optional "steelies" and upgraded tire package -- has been extremely hard-to-find up to now. EVERYTHING I've seen out there and inquired about turned out to be a mannequin program, not-for-sale demo vehicle. It may be the same case for you? There are a handful of stories about confusion around this, even at the dealerships -- the sales people don't all realize these mannequins aren't for sale yet. Unfortunately, they ALL seem to be representing the mannequin vehicle(s) as on the lot and available to buy! One sure-fire way to tell (99%+), if it has a bunch of rack and accessories installed up-top, is a BL w/the BL package, superflous floor and cargo mats and other accessories inside -- it's a mannequin.

I have observed a couple of mannequins disappear from the Ford website 'Search Inventory' (from Build and Price) -- even though I know the exact vehicle (and VIN#) arrived (and is still at) the dealership when they were previously "Dealer-Ordered," or "In-Transit."

I also find that those VINs no longer come up successfully in the tracking tool on the Forum here, even though they DID right up until the vehicles arrived at their respective dealerships. (TBH though, I suspect this is maybe because the vehicle is no longer in transit, but at it's destination.)

tRex is absolutely right.

These vehicles are surprisingly rare at this point. Especially the 2.0 liter models. I live in the DFW metroplex with 6.5 million other people and have not yet seen a single other Bronco Sport of any variety out in the wild. I think Ford is producing these at a very slow trickle.

Last edited:

Andrezzi

First Edition
First Name
robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
tRex is absolutely right.

These vehicles are surprisingly rare at this point. Especially the 2.0 liter models. I live in the DFW metroplex with 6.5 million other people and have not yet seen a single other Bronco Sport of any variety out in the wild. I think Ford is producing these at a very slow trickle.
My BL + BL also disappeared while in transit got to State no more than a few hours away and Vin vanished and not on any search. Dealer telling me Ford did something with it in some sort of program. It was dealer ordered for inventory. Someone backed out of there FE order so there letting me take that one so looks like it will be OK hope it doesn't disappear also supposed to be at dealer any day now

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I feel like dealerships have no clue what is going on honestly. I was told that there were two outer banks on the lot that I could come purchase if I came ASAP. I got there within 30 minutes and they weren't there. I know these are a hot car right now, but really? 30 minutes later and not either one is there? Even if someone purchased both in those 30 minutes I feel like they would still be on the lot.

Dealership gave me the run around then that they weren't "actually" on the lot and still in transit but TOLD me that they WERE PHYSICALLY there 30 minutes prior.

They then promised me they could see all of the outer banks and/or bandlands coming in to other dealerships and NONE were coming in with the options and colors I wanted. That's fine I get it.

So, I placed an order. I put down a $1,000 deposit even though other dealerships only required a $100 one. This was on February 11th. I never (and still haven't) received a confirmation email. After 3 weeks I called and spoke with the manager. He literally said to me "I don't have any order for you". Then said he would call me back in a few minutes after he looked in to it. He called back 2 hours later and said he found the order. Not sure why he couldn't find it the first time. Or maybe he didn't really find it and JUST NOW placed it -- 3 weeks later.

He said there was no update, no build date, nothing. After being told I had 6-8 weeks (which I already knew wasn't the case as I had been on these forums seeing everyone else post about how long it takes) I said is that a promise (jokingly) and he said I am SURE it will be here within 8 weeks. K.

The manager then tells me I'm looking at July. Well, if I don't have a build date, don't promise me another time frame.

Then he tells me that they ordered the same exact one I wanted in January which he told me had a build date of March 8th (I believe) and that he expected it to be here by end of April/beginning of May. Well hold on a second -- when I placed the order, your employee told me there were NONE coming. So, why did I place an order and put down some big deposit if you guys actually had one coming?

He told me, another promise, that it wouldn't be a demo, that no one else has bought it, no one else can buy it and my name is on it. Well, if the build date was on the 8th (assuming it didn't change because I have heard nothing else), why last week when I spoke with my original sales person, did he tell me there is no update on that one or the one I originally ordered?

Shouldn't I have a VIN by now on the one THEY ordered?

I feel like they are all sketchy. I feel like they have NO clue what is going on about anything. Which in all honesty, isn't their fault. They aren't the ones building them. But they have also placed their own orders and got them on the lot, knowing it takes quite awhile.

The only reason I chose this dealer is because they were giving me a BANGIN trade in value on my wrangler. But, I was also told I can't drive it, don't put any miles on it. That was do-able if I was looking at 6-8 weeks. At this point I'm 5 weeks in with ABSOLUTELY nothing from them.

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
When I was searching for an BB in January, a number of Florida dealers listed vehicles as In Inventory or In Transit. When I called I found out that most of the time the vehicle was not on their lot and they only had an ETA on an arrival date. Some had a VIN posted with the listing but the product was not physically on their lot.

5Dogs

First Name
Toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I feel like dealerships have no clue what is going on honestly. I was told that there were two outer banks on the lot that I could come purchase if I came ASAP. I got there within 30 minutes and they weren't there. I know these are a hot car right now, but really? 30 minutes later and not either one is there? Even if someone purchased both in those 30 minutes I feel like they would still be on the lot.

Dealership gave me the run around then that they weren't "actually" on the lot and still in transit but TOLD me that they WERE PHYSICALLY there 30 minutes prior.

They then promised me they could see all of the outer banks and/or bandlands coming in to other dealerships and NONE were coming in with the options and colors I wanted. That's fine I get it.

So, I placed an order. I put down a $1,000 deposit even though other dealerships only required a $100 one. This was on February 11th. I never (and still haven't) received a confirmation email. After 3 weeks I called and spoke with the manager. He literally said to me "I don't have any order for you". Then said he would call me back in a few minutes after he looked in to it. He called back 2 hours later and said he found the order. Not sure why he couldn't find it the first time. Or maybe he didn't really find it and JUST NOW placed it -- 3 weeks later.

He said there was no update, no build date, nothing. After being told I had 6-8 weeks (which I already knew wasn't the case as I had been on these forums seeing everyone else post about how long it takes) I said is that a promise (jokingly) and he said I am SURE it will be here within 8 weeks. K.

The manager then tells me I'm looking at July. Well, if I don't have a build date, don't promise me another time frame.

Then he tells me that they ordered the same exact one I wanted in January which he told me had a build date of March 8th (I believe) and that he expected it to be here by end of April/beginning of May. Well hold on a second -- when I placed the order, your employee told me there were NONE coming. So, why did I place an order and put down some big deposit if you guys actually had one coming?

He told me, another promise, that it wouldn't be a demo, that no one else has bought it, no one else can buy it and my name is on it. Well, if the build date was on the 8th (assuming it didn't change because I have heard nothing else), why last week when I spoke with my original sales person, did he tell me there is no update on that one or the one I originally ordered?

I feel like they are all sketchy. I feel like they have NO clue what is going on about anything. Which in all honesty, isn't their fault. They aren't the ones building them. But they have also placed their own orders and got them on the lot, knowing it takes quite awhile.

The only reason I chose this dealer is because they were giving me a BANGIN trade in value on my wrangler. But, I was also told I can't drive it, don't put any miles on it. That was do-able if I was looking at 6-8 weeks. At this point I'm 5 weeks in with ABSOLUTELY nothing from them.
I had a very similar issue. Have been told a couple of times that one was available for sale on the lot now, only to find that it wasn't. Decided to order, put down my deposit only to find 17 days later that they hadn't entered the order into the system! I had sent texts and made phone calls during those 17 days that were just "brushed off". So, so aggravating!

McBrideless

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Lesabre
1) I thought I had a bad experience, but now I feel like one of the lucky ones. $500 deposit 12/31 on a BL now BL package with an 8-12 week eta. No order confirmation email. Nothing from Ford. No further communication until the end of February. They told me it would be here early March and gave me the VIN. I got a call Saturday that it had arrived. I plan to pick it up this afternoon.

2) It sounds to me like what you are experiencing is incompetence more than any intentional run around. In the last few months of car shopping I’ve been amazed at how bad the internal communication is at some dealerships (not just the Ford dealer I went with) and how uninformed some salesman are. I had one tell me that it wasn’t even possible to order a BS, and I had to just wait for one to come in (I ended up not ordering from them, shocker I know). Most of the ones I talked to had no idea what the difference was between trims. That being said, I would ask for your deposit back and order one elsewhere. If they won’t sell you the car today, they should not still be holding your money.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition

I disagree. They sell a product. It's their job to know what is going on with the product. And there is no reason to jerk around their customers like this. I'd get a refund and flush the dealership. ?

elliewe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge
I also feel like the dealerships don't know what they are talking about...or they just don't care. My local dealership received what I originally wanted. I went in to buy it and was told that it was a demo/ mannequin and that I could buy it, but it had to sit on the lot for 3 months. . I then found a BL at another dealer that was perfect. I was told it was a mannequin and they couldn't sell it. Received a call over the weekend that they could sell it April 12, but they added a $10,000 bump up to the price... no thanks. Finally ordered one from my local dealership. They informed me that they have no clue when it might arrive and that I need to make sure I keep the miles low on my Edge that I am trading in...

K5 Blazer FL

Badlands
First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
89 K5 Blazer
1) I thought I had a bad experience, but now I feel like one of the lucky ones. $500 deposit 12/31 on a BL now BL package with an 8-12 week eta. No order confirmation email. Nothing from Ford. No further communication until the end of February. They told me it would be here early March and gave me the VIN. I got a call Saturday that it had arrived. I plan to pick it up this afternoon.
Reading this give me hope :)

I placed a order for a BL/BL on 3/3 and only have received a confirmation email. It feels like I'm trying to watch a pot boil waiting for the "Scheduled for Production" email.
Sponsored