Air con engine on in park in hot weather with dog inside....please give me an informed answer

she

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru outback
Hi Folks
I scoured through my manual and called 3 dealerships. Each dealership gave me a difference answer and my manual didn't provide an answer.
So basically today it was 102 degrees and i wanted to go into the grocery store. I was hoping to safely leave my pup in the car for 30 minutes with engine on, air con on and car locked. Im not sure if this is possible and was worried the aircon would suddenly shut off or the engine. One dealership said that the car would run with engine off and aircon would self adjust at 70. Another dealership said that engine running, aircon on and locked from outside it might automatically shut engine off. #rd dealership didnt know the answer. Also, I was curious if you turned off the auto start stop feature if that made a difference. Would love a factual legit answer...I didnt go in the store because it just wasnt worth the risk having my pup die in a hot non a/c car. Im gonna try tomorrow in home driveway sans pooch and see what happens and get back to you!
Thanks in advance everyone!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bronclahoma

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
In vehicle settings you can set your engine to turn off after 30 minutes idling. If this is not selected, I assume it will run forever, probably will turn off if the engine overheatss. The answer you indicate you don't want to hear begs. Why not just leave the pup at home? Kids or dogs inside vehicles alone during hot weather is never a good situation.

GoatsyBanks

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I agree with Bronclahoma.

It should work if you shut off the auto stop/start and the 30min shutdown. I say should because I'm unsure if the shut down feature changes if the key fob is out of range.

But, if people see a dog by itself, in a running vehicle in 100° sun I wouldn't be suprized if you came out to see the police breaking your window. Just things to consider.

Last edited:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Hi Folks
I scoured through my manual and called 3 dealerships. Each dealership gave me a difference answer and my manual didn't provide an answer.
So basically today it was 102 degrees and i wanted to go into the grocery store. I was hoping to safely leave my pup in the car for 30 minutes with engine on, air con on and car locked. Im not sure if this is possible and was worried the aircon would suddenly shut off or the engine. One dealership said that the car would run with engine off and aircon would self adjust at 70. Another dealership said that engine running, aircon on and locked from outside it might automatically shut engine off. #rd dealership didnt know the answer. Also, I was curious if you turned off the auto start stop feature if that made a difference. Would love a factual legit answer...I didnt go in the store because it just wasnt worth the risk having my pup die in a hot non a/c car. Im gonna try tomorrow in home driveway sans pooch and see what happens and get back to you!
Best answer leave the dog at home. Even at 80 air temp it can reach 120+ inside that car. Just don't. I know the dog is your little fur friend...respect your friend. Leave em home. They'll be cashed out on the couch, floor, crate, happy place and they will be so excited to see you.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I agree with Bronlahoma.

It should work if you shut off the auto stop/start and the 30min shutdown. I say should because I'm unsure if the shut down feature changes if the key fob is out of range.

But, if people see a dog by itself, in a running vehicle in 100° sun I wouldn't be suprized if you came out to see the police breaking your window. Just things to consider.
I was just thinking that. In many cases the person that breaks the window isn’t even held liable. And half of people care more for dogs than humans lmfao. My only other comment was gonna be to test out in the driveway to see how the car reacts. Or secure a leash to your dog and the inside of the car and leave a window open? For a quick run in the store wouldn’t that be fine?

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
why take a chance

in some locals it's illegal to leave a running car untended.

Dan.Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport outer banks
Not for a dog but I do some deliveries in my bs.

I switch off the engine so I can lock the doors and use the Ford pass app (via Siri Shortcuts from another thread.) Hey Siri start the bronco… then I have 15minutes of ac in a locked vehicle that cannot be driven.

if I’m still inside after 15minutes I do it again.

OP
OP

she

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru outback
Best answer leave the dog at home. Even at 80 air temp it can reach 120+ inside that car. Just don't. I know the dog is your little fur friend...respect your friend. Leave em home. They'll be cashed out on the couch, floor, crate, happy place and they will be so excited to see you.
I agree and thank you for the sound advice. My pup is only 16 weeks and we just went camping for 4 nights with the bronco, pup and me. I was a little nervous leaving him home by himself for 2 hours but i have to get into the swing of things when i go back to work in August. Thank you

OP
OP

she

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru outback
I was just thinking that. In many cases the person that breaks the window isn’t even held liable. And half of people care more for dogs than humans lmfao. My only other comment was gonna be to test out in the driveway to see how the car reacts. Or secure a leash to your dog and the inside of the car and leave a window open? For a quick run in the store wouldn’t that be fine?
Thank you and yes i agree with your advice

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
I was just thinking that. In many cases the person that breaks the window isn’t even held liable.
And after window broken out whats the wait for replacement glass to come in? Weeks? Months?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I agree and thank you for the sound advice. My pup is only 16 weeks and we just went camping for 4 nights with the bronco, pup and me. I was a little nervous leaving him home by himself for 2 hours but i have to get into the swing of things when i go back to work in August. Thank you
And I sincerely understand, our 14 year old pup rules the house? they are family...crate training is awesome especially if you are headed back to work. Our dog used it as a safe place if he felt off or didn't want to be bothered. Any time we left for a while we'd say "rage in the cage" and he'd happily trot right in and curl up, take a long nap, and bolt out the door as soon as we got home. I wasn't trying to be a jerk or scolding. Sometimes typed messages lose the empathy.

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Cuda340, your avatar looks like tighty whiteys. Haha

I looked quick and that’s what it looked like.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Take it from someone who has had 4 pups all starting at 8 weeks old, you hate to leave them alone but you would be surprised how they do. I live in Vegas and we never risk a pup in the car even when engine on as you never know. It gets to 115 here. If you don’t want to use a crate, Initially confine an area with an xpen like your kitchen. Some of ours loved their crates until literally they grew to hang out of them and others that loved the xpen. Leaves lots of Kong toys, especially one that you can full with treats capped off with peanut butter. Act like it is no big deal, go to the store and come back and again make it no big deal. A 16 week old should last more than enough hours. Leave a tv or radio on for noise. Go for longer and longer and they adjust just fine. Taking them everywhere all the time sets them up for separation anxiety for them and you. I have had a lab, 2 German shepherd and a rescue.

https://www.chewy.com/pet-adobe-8-panel-folding-metal-dog/dp/341316?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Pet Adobe&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiMnt566l8wIVWR-tBh3bmQIIEAQYAiABEgLBxfD_BwE

Last edited:

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hi Folks

It is doable, removing public post because folks cannot be adults.
Sponsored

Last edited: