Air Compressor

NW Trail Marauder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Portable air compressor suggestions that can plug into the 120v ac outlet in the back?
Sponsored

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
From what I understand the rear 12v doesn't have a fuse, so you might not want to use it with something with high current draw. I just bought a Viair 88P on Amazon; it's still a lighter duty compressor, but it connects directly to the battery.

schizorage

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base
I'm a fool, I misread your original post as 12v. I didn't realize some of 'em have outlets in the back.

PersimmonHills

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I'm a fool, I misread your original post as 12v. I didn't realize some of 'em have outlets in the back.
Not a fool! The safest option by far is connecting directly to the battery. With larger tires, any compressor that is worth using is a lot for either the 12v or inverter outlets. The motor can draw a very large current under load.

iā€™m sure there are good options that plug in. Iā€™ll research those for my own application. But the short answer is ā€˜pop the hoodā€™.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
There are some cheap ones that seem to do a pretty good job -- on just 1 tire -- that are 12V. But from what I saw they ALL overheat somewhere beyond 10 mins. use -- and that's just the 1 tire, taking anywhere from 6 or 7 to 10 mins. or more to inflate it. It looks like ARB makes the Ford accessory portable compressor -- a "pop the hood" battery connect type. Looks like a tackle box (storage or mounted in it, I think); I'm betting it's the ARB HP 12V, but ARB also makes a "max-output" 12V version for $534 more (twin motors, other features - $899, the real deal!) -- wow! And a 24V version of the same. Hardly any break available on it in the US, at least on eBay -- $365 free ship for the standard ("High-Performance") version, # CKMP12. For these prices it would have been great to include a good pressure gauge and a deflater. But, great eBay prices on the twin-motor version if you need that for some serious offroad uses.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Oops... the Ford accessory # M-1830-FPAC which appears to be a rebadged ARB # CKMP12 is just $285.85 online, my shipping and tax brings it to $310.50 from Levittown. I may just go ahead and get this anyway, as ANY tire air anytime is a pain these days trying to find it for free or carrying $2-$4 in quarters around! But for on-road to off-road and back again -- essential.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - Kodiak Brown; 2008 Mustang GT
I know the OP was talking about 120v but 12v works too. I have a Slime compressor for awhile and it is 12v and works pretty good. Cord is plenty long to go from any tire to the 12v outlet under the radio. I ran over a screw on my driver front tire after week two of ownership. I had to use this compressor for about four days daily until I could get it into a shop. Every morning the tire pressure was down to about 5psi, basically flat. The Slime compressor works well and has before with my other vehicles. On my BB, it took about 3-4 minutes to fill to 33psi.

The compressor and its hose fits nicely next to my spare with no contact from the spare floor cover. Also note I have the full spare tire as well, not sure if there would be any more room for those of you that have the donut. Anyways, just another option.

Edit: I just looked on Amazon and they list a Slime 40045 120v model for 58.56 that looks about the same size as mine, maybe even smaller.

Ford Bronco Sport Air Compressor compressor1

Ford Bronco Sport Air Compressor compressor2

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I know the OP was talking about 120v but 12v works too. I have a Slime compressor for awhile and it is 12v and works pretty good. Cord is plenty long to go from any tire to the 12v outlet under the radio. I ran over a screw on my driver front tire after week two of ownership. I had to use this compressor for about four days daily until I could get it into a shop. Every morning the tire pressure was down to about 5psi, basically flat. The Slime compressor works well and has before with my other vehicles. On my BB, it took about 3-4 minutes to fill to 33psi.

The compressor and its hose fits nicely next to my spare with no contact from the spare floor cover. Also note I have the full spare tire as well, not sure if there would be any more room for those of you that have the donut. Anyways, just another option.

Edit: I just looked on Amazon and they list a Slime 40045 120v model for 58.56 that looks about the same size as mine, maybe even smaller.

Ford Bronco Sport Air Compressor compressor1

Ford Bronco Sport Air Compressor compressor2
I think this was one I saw tested. The only question I have about it is, what about airing all 4 tires down to 18 or 15 psi, and all 4 back up again to 33? Most of this type of compressor will overheat in 10 mins. or so. A great thing to have for those emergencies, will it work for all 4 on the trail (or beach, or snow, etc. off-road)?

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think this was one I saw tested. The only question I have about it is, what about airing all 4 tires down to 18 or 15 psi, and all 4 back up again to 33? Most of this type of compressor will overheat in 10 mins. or so. A great thing to have for those emergencies, will it work for all 4 on the trail (or beach, or snow, etc. off-road)?
If you look at the second picture on the label it says not to use it for than 10 minutes continuously. If you use it for 10 minutes give it 15 to cool down. With my flat from 5psi to 33psi took about 3-4 minutes. If you set all tires to 18psi it could 'probably' bring them back up to 33psi in one attempt. You will have a little bit of cool down between tires. Was just throwing out another option.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
IMHO you canā€™t air-up 4 tires from 18 to 33 lbs within a reasonable amount of time with any compressor you can run off 12vdc or 120vac via an inverter.

I donā€™t bother airing up until November, but I donā€™t need to drive on a highway to get home (or anywhere else :sunglasses:). We also have free air-ups at popular beach access points (but then I just need to air down!)

I would get a good compressor for home if you need to air-up.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know what tRex, I am going to test that right now. I will lower all of my tires to 18psi and let the slime pump them up. I will time it takes to pump each tire to 33psi and report back - good or bad. I want to know as well.

Willow

Big Bend
First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know what tRex, I am going to test that right now. I will lower all of my tires to 18psi and let the slime pump them up. I will time it takes to pump each tire to 33psi and report back - good or bad. I want to know as well.
Here is my response.

I deflated all four to 18psi. I used my 12v slime to air them up to 33psi from what I seen on the gauge. Each tire came up to speed within 2:30-2:45 minutes. Move to next wheel, etc. The compressor was not hot. The gauge on my compressor is subjective. I used my 20lb compressor to fill a pound or so in a couple tires. But my thread response holds true, you can use a 12v compressor out on the sand and get road worthy inside 10 minutes in one attempt.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Found the same for my two college kids who are away from home. Picked two up at the local Tractor Supply co $25 each if you happen to have a TSC nearby

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think I may still buy the Ford/ARB compressor, it's a good deal online (not from ARB though), it should be much faster and built to take it. You can read about it on the ARB site.
Sponsored