Aftermarket transmission and/or engine cooler?

galacticjedi

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base 1.5L
What’s your opinion of installing an aftermarket transmission and/or engine cooler? Absurd or pretty cool? Having thoughts about installing one down the line.
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
What’s your opinion of installing an aftermarket transmission and/or engine cooler? Absurd or pretty cool? Having thoughts about installing one down the line.
What's the point of installing an aftermarket transmission on a car with a 1.5L three-banger motor?

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Been there, done that on three different vehicles that actually needed more than the stock cooling.
I was a medical Isotope courier for more than fifteen years. It paid really well, paid for a new vehicle every four or five years IF I wanted. I drove 70 to 90,000 miles a year.
Yep 300,000 to 528,000 miles on a vehicle and I never had a transmission problem because of the Intercooler.
This was always near MAX GVWR btw. Commonly 900 to 1200 pounds of led lined containers.
And often in heavy city traffic in the Florida heat and humidity.
Toyota Tacoma automatic transmissions, repeatable data.
As I had three of these
Without the transmission intercooler my transmission fluid would be badly burnt brown and ruined at or about 15,000 miles.
On goes the correctly sized, (VERY Important) Aftermarket Intercooler of I think it was 13,000 BTU’s.
My tranny fluid would remain pink for 45 - 50,000 miles.
A VERY CRITICAL NOTE :
If you Install a too large Intercooler your fluid will not reach the proper operational temp and your transmission will fail !
All of our automatics have some form if factory cooler already, in side the radiator ( often vertically built in on one side).
That means you don’t need an Intercooler added unless your constantly operating in extreme conditions or heavy loads.
The transmission must reach normal operating temp. On the rare cold days in Florida I covered the Intercooler completely. It was about 6”x10” and in front as to one side of my radiator.
These newer transmissions are very complex animals and your messing around with very precise operational design parameters. You need to consult with a mechanic that really knows these transmissions. NOT us internet guru’s. My experiences were with vehicles built 10 to 30 years ago.
Note :
Dodge mini vans, rock solid, engine would always last 400,000 miles. Transmissions without Intercooler added would ALWAYS die before 150,000 miles. WITH Intercooler they would still die before 150,000 miles, go figure.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If you Install a too large Intercooler your fluid will not reach the proper operational temp and your transmission will fail !
That can't be overemphasized. Operating fluids pick up water from condensation generated by repeated heating-cooling cycles. For some components, designers count on the fluids reaching a high enough temperature to boil off the water. There is no other way besides draining it to eliminate water from the fluids, and unless you do internal parts will corrode.

Last edited:

RLader

Outer Banks
First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Been there, don’t that.
I was a medical Isotope courier for more than fifteen years. It paid really well, paid for a new vehicle every four or five years IF I wanted. I drove 70 to 90,000 miles a year.
Yep 300,000 to 528,000 miles on a vehicle and I never had a transmission problem because of the Intercooler.
This was always near MAX GVWR btw. Commonly 900 to 1200 pounds of led lined containers.
And often in heavy city traffic in the Florida heat and humidity.
Toyota Tacoma automatic transmissions, repeatable data.
As I had three of these
Without the transmission intercooler my transmission fluid would be badly burnt brown and ruined at or about 15,000 miles.
On goes the correctly sized, (VERY Important) Aftermarket Intercooler of I think it was 13,000 BTU’s.
My tranny fluid would remain pink for 45 - 50,000 miles.
A VERY CRITICAL NOTE :
All of our automatics have some form if factory cooler already, in side the radiator ( often vertically built in on one side).
That means you don’t need an Intercooler added unless your constantly operating in extreme conditions or heavy loads.
The transmission must reach normal operating temp. On the rare cold days in Florida I covered the Intercooler completely. It was about 6”x10” and in front as to one side of my radiator.
These newer transmissions are very complex animals and your messing around with very precise operational design parameters. You need to consult with a mechanic that really knows these transmissions. NOT us internet guru’s. My experiences were will vehicles built 10 to 30 years ago.
Note :
Dodge mini vans, rock solid, engine would always last 400,000 miles. Transmissions without Intercooler added would ALWAYS die before 150,000 miles. WITH Intercooler they would still die before 150,000 miles, go figure.
Thanks for reasons about intercooler.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
i wouldnt add any coolers. pretty sure there is already a trans cooler on the sport? just an assumption.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
i wouldnt add any coolers. pretty sure there is already a trans cooler on the sport? just an assumption.
I have never seen an automatic transmission without a cooler yet.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Your factory intercooler will do the job even in the most server conditions.
the reason I needed and benefited from one is every mile I drove was server. And I was doing full on commercial duty.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
I have never seen an automatic transmission without a cooler yet.
thats kinda what i was thinking. some of these newer vehicles have more coolers than a peterbilt lol.
Sponsored