AEROSKIN II deflectors are they worth it?

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The ASII deflector really disrupts the air for a pretty turbulent flow over/around the hood. Easily seen using the windshield washers at speed, it goes everywhere and splashes back over the hood at times. The hood now jumps, flexes, and chatters going down the highway. On top of it all, the unsightly stain left behind by the installation prep pad that seems to have etched the clearcoat! And I am not sure at all yet if it's made any difference whatsoever regarding bugs and rocks -- but, we are not in peak season for either where I am just yet.

Does anybody know what EXACTLY the 2nd installation prep pad does? It leaves the paint dry/rough to the touch, and discolored -- again, as if it's etched the clearcoat...?
Sponsored

Hot Rod Mike

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator , Wrangler , Bronco
75-80 MPH shaking hood and more wind noise. I have over 3000 freeway miles and have no paint chips or windshield chips because I DONT TAILGATE

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
The ASII deflector really disrupts the air for a pretty turbulent flow over/around the hood. Easily seen using the windshield washers at speed, it goes everywhere and splashes back over the hood at times. The hood now jumps, flexes, and chatters going down the highway. On top of it all, the unsightly stain left behind by the installation prep pad that seems to have etched the clearcoat! And I am not sure at all yet if it's made any difference whatsoever regarding bugs and rocks -- but, we are not in peak season for either where I am just yet.

Does anybody know what EXACTLY the 2nd installation prep pad does? It leaves the paint dry/rough to the touch, and discolored -- again, as if it's etched the clearcoat...?
I first placed the deflector on the hood, then marked off the top back side where the deflector edge was with blue tape. I removed the deflector, and made sure the wiping did not go past this point.

I do know however that applying wax to any smeared surface will remove the haze left behind from the wipes.

If these wipes were harmful to the paint/finish, they would not be endorced by Ford, or any other manufacturer. The alcohol pads remove any oils or other residue from the surface. The final pad is described as "AN adhesion promoter".

Last edited:

Winds of Change

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco sport
I am picking mine up today with the window vent visors as well. If I get them installed tomorrow I have a road trip on Sunday to test it out. Oh and a drop of dish soap in the washer reservoir helps clean off the bugs.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I first placed the deflector on the hood, then marked off the top back side where the deflector edge was with blue tape. I removed the deflector, and made sure the wiping did not go past this point.

I do know however that applying wax to any smeared surface will remove the haze left behind from the wipes.

If these wipes were harmful to the paint/finish, they would not be endorced by Ford, or any other manufacturer. The alcohol pads remove any oils or other residue from the surface. The final pad is described as "AN adhesion promoter".
All understood, but what does it actually do? "Promote adhesion" is a little vague.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
I have to ask, I'm I the only one uncomfortable with using an adhesive to attach a deflector? I had a deflector on my 2001 Escape. It was screwed on from under the hood. I don't care for using adhesive on the paint long term.
Really it is six of one and half dozen of another. Your “Bronco Sport” on the hatch door is adhesive and your Badlands badging as well. Really any different?

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
All understood, but what does it actually do? "Promote adhesion" is a little vague.
From Google (or the 3m site):

An adhesion promoter is a substance or chemical compound that is used to enhance the bonding between two surfaces. It works by providing a reactive surface for the adhesive material to attach to, thereby increasing the strength and durability of the bond.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Really it is six of one and half dozen of another. Your “Bronco Sport” on the hatch door is adhesive and your Badlands badging as well. Really any different?
I've yet to hear of anyone report that their paint was damaged due to 3M adhesive tape being used to install something, and then later removed. Now if you used a screw driver or other damaging tool to remove an emblem or air deflector, than all bets are off.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
From Google (or the 3m site):

An adhesion promoter is a substance or chemical compound that is used to enhance the bonding between two surfaces. It works by providing a reactive surface for the adhesive material to attach to, thereby increasing the strength and durability of the bond.
Thanks for the tip. "The liquid primer dries in 30 to 90 seconds for fast and efficient application – once dry, it is ready to accept the attachment tape. ... The adhesion promoter can also be cleaned from most surfaces using MEK or acetone solvents." So, it is an additional bonding surface added between the paint just cleaned with the alcohol pad, and the 3M tape. And so can be cleaned, or possibly rubbed off (e.g. with compound).

Last edited:

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks for the tip. "The liquid primer dries in 30 to 90 seconds for fast and efficient application – once dry, it is ready to accept the attachment tape. ... The adhesion promoter can also be cleaned from most surfaces using MEK or acetone solvents." So, it is an additional bonding surface added between the paint just cleaned with the alcohol pad, and the 3M tape. And so can be cleaned, or possibly rubbed off (e.g. with compound).
I'd refrain from using compound...a bit harsh for this. A wax will work without the abrasives found in compound.

xm41907

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

So you're saying the ASII now causes the hood to flex and jump when it didn't before?

Anyone else notice this?
Sponsored