Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
So now with the configurator.. seems that if you want any real offroad capability, you're locked into Badlands + Bandlands+ package (which is confusing). With that addon package being all-or-nothing, it's simple, but overall it seems a bit limited.

Debating if I should wait more for the full size Bronco, and more clarity on it's options, or look at the smaller Sport that's better for in-town.

Sigh.
Sponsored

FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Yea I played around with the Sport build & price for a bit and thought the same thing. Ford has some weird packaging decisions for both the Sport and Bronco Bronco.

Around town, a soft-roader probably better, though the larger Bronco will probably ride decent too and have more space.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I am disappointed too.

The Sport has a lot of what I missed in the 1st generation Escape, like the boxy, functional shape and the independently-opening liftgate glass. I am very disappointed that a manual isn't offered, but that has been known for a while. The one thing that I don't think I'll get over is the motorcycle-sized 3-cylinder Dragon engine with a wet timing belt. It has reviewed poorly in the Escape and unfortunately, the 2.0L isn't offered until the highest trim levels.

I was hoping to get back to Ford, a brand which dominated our household throughout the 90's and up until 2009 or so. The Ranger and now the Escape, and their crazy option and configuration schemes, have turned me away once again.

I was hopeful something had changed, considering the hype.

hawkonthego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
I like the 2.0 a lot.Have that engine in my 2014 Ford Fusion and no problems to report after 103,000 miles. Only had spark plugs replaced and coolant changed. Looking to get a Sport Badlands possibly.I really like the full sized Bronco but I think the Sport would fit in my garage better.

mike978

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
Yea I played around with the Sport build & price for a bit and thought the same thing. Ford has some weird packaging decisions for both the Sport and Bronco Bronco.

Around town, a soft-roader probably better, though the larger Bronco will probably ride decent too and have more space.
I looked at the specs and was surprised to find that the Bronco 4door is not really any bigger inside tha. The Bronco sport. For example combined legroom is 79.3 in sport vs 79.4 in Bronco, passenger volume is 105.7 vs 103.7 cu ft sport vs bronco (partially attributed to greater headroom in sport). Cargo capacity is within 10% too. The 4door is 17 inches longer but only has marginally benefit (1 inch greater shoulder room for example).
i was also surprised by how few choices there are for the sport vs Bronco - 4 specs instead of 6, fixed engine choice, less colors etc.

2001 escape

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Escape XLT
It is a little bigger, but yes....not much. Ugh...I might have to switch to another highlander, or an explorer....my kids already complain the Escape is too small.

Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
It is a little bigger, but yes....not much. Ugh...I might have to switch to another highlander, or an explorer....my kids already complain the Escape is too small.
You can leave the kids at home. Lol.

OP
OP
Slickrock

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I like the 2.0 a lot.Have that engine in my 2014 Ford Fusion and no problems to report after 103,000 miles. Only had spark plugs replaced and coolant changed. Looking to get a Sport Badlands possibly.I really like the full sized Bronco but I think the Sport would fit in my garage better.
That's good to hear, but at the same time a car engine isn't going to be exactly a selling point for someone that's looking for something more rugged and capable.. :lipssealed:

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
That's good to hear, but at the same time a car engine isn't going to be exactly a selling point for someone that's looking for something more rugged and capable.. :lipssealed:
If the 2.0L "car engine" is concerning, then you must see my point I made above regarding the 1.5L.
It would have been nice if the 2.0L was base and the 2.3L was the upline engine.

Edit - This was brought up long ago: https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/1-5l-ecoboost-dragon-engine-review-by-car-and-driver.1048/post-22549

Last edited:

Voidoid

Outer Banks
First Name
Ara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Subaru Outback
I reserved an Outer Banks on the first night when the Ford Website was still crashing. Then the configurator appeared... and there just isn't a good combination of engine and interior trim. I like everything about the Outer Banks appearance-wise but I'm not buying the 1.5L. SO I look to Badlands, which has the better engine and the B&O Stereo - except when you upgrade the stereo it forces you to choose the poo-brown seats. There is a zero percent chance I will purchase a car with poo-brown seats.

How difficult would it have been to give Outer Banks at the least the *option* for the 2L? At this point I am doubtful I will pull the trigger and place an order...

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
How difficult would it have been to give Outer Banks at the least the *option* for the 2L? At this point I am doubtful I will pull the trigger and place an order...
That's how I feel. The two "a la carte" items I would have liked to have been offered at the Outer Banks level are the 2.0L and getting the B&O audio. I certainly don't need (or want) stuff like a moonroof and heated seats/steering wheel. I cannot pull the trigger on a Badlands (+ Badlands pkg) just to get a normal engine (not a 3-cylinder that is often 2-cylinder) and a decent radio.

I was looking forward to this vehicle. Having put a quarter million miles on a first-gen Escape, I missed the utility of the boxy shape, the outward visibility, and overall fun of that vehicle. This option/package scheme may work for Ford, but it sure looks to have created nothing but frustration on this forum. I mean, have you heard from anyone truly excited after trying to configure a Sport?

txbronc

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Cx-9
That's how I feel. The two "a la carte" items I would have liked to have been offered at the Outer Banks level are the 2.0L and getting the B&O audio. I certainly don't need (or want) stuff like a moonroof and heated seats/steering wheel. I cannot pull the trigger on a Badlands (+ Badlands pkg) just to get a normal engine (not a 3-cylinder that is often 2-cylinder) and a decent radio.

I was looking forward to this vehicle. Having put a quarter million miles on a first-gen Escape, I missed the utility of the boxy shape, the outward visibility, and overall fun of that vehicle. This option/package scheme may work for Ford, but it sure looks to have created nothing but frustration on this forum. I mean, have you heard from anyone truly excited after trying to configure a Sport?
Agree with you on not understanding the packages Ford put together. While I didn't have any problems with the configuration... it just happen to work out to be what my wife wanted was everything in the Badlands model.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Not to beat a dead horse, but....

For curiosity, I went to Toyota's site and started configuring a Rav4 Adventure. It offers 11 packages, one that is strictly an a la carte JBL Premium Audio/Nav Package and some of the cold weather stuff is also package-specific. My point being, why didn't Ford consider giving their customers more choices and granularity?

Nickalz

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mazda6, 1996 Mazda Miata
I can’t agree more. In addition to allowing folks to upgrade to the 2.0L I’d love to see the 2nd row A/C and a leather steering wheel standard above the base model. It’s pretty easy to add some new speakers and a leather steering wheel I guess but upgrading the engine or add 2nd row HVAC would be cost prohibitive. Also, where is the option for memory seats? With that said I do like how you can add adaptive cruise control pretty cheaply.

mike978

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 6
I don’t know why Ford couldn't have more options/build variants for the Sport. For Bronco they have six trims, two body styles, two engines and two transmissions as well as multiple packs on different trims. For the sport it is one body style, one transmission, one engine per trim and less packages. They could easily have given the Outer Banks the 2 liter engine option and still have had limited build configurations. Also the sport could well sell about the same volume as the Bronco (150k a year) albeit at a lower price.
Sponsored