2023 Ford Escape Active (?)

vegasvic

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL, Ford F-150, Chevy C-10, '74+'75 Yamaha
Just came back from Maryland for soccer. Our rental car was the above named car. I believe it was actually brand new, like I was first to drive it. Got to the soccer fields and there was a hot plastic smell inside and out.

It was an ‘Active’, maybe a trim level? This thing had lots more interior room up front than our Cherokee. The backseat had a huge amount more room than the Cherokee or the BS for that matter. Huge. I believe the back seat would Slide back and forth.

Not sure what size engine but it easily kept up with traffic 70-80 mph. Moving down the road, it couldn’t just jump up to speed. You needed to think ahead if moving to a faster lane of traffic. I don’t think I can blame that on the engine but probably the tranny. I mean 8 gears will slow down the shifting so you have to plan ahead.

Summary. I loved the amount of room it had. It was an upright driving position vs a typical sedan so I liked that. The brakes grabbed but right now I drive an F150 so maybe they are normal? I hate the rotating shifting knob. Hate it on my wife’s Jeep. Hate it here too. Hate, hate, hate!
Sponsored

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Just came back from Maryland for soccer. Our rental car was the above named car. I believe it was actually brand new, like I was first to drive it. Got to the soccer fields and there was a hot plastic smell inside and out.

It was an ‘Active’, maybe a trim level? This thing had lots more interior room up front than our Cherokee. The backseat had a huge amount more room than the Cherokee or the BS for that matter. Huge. I believe the back seat would Slide back and forth.

Not sure what size engine but it easily kept up with traffic 70-80 mph. Moving down the road, it couldn’t just jump up to speed. You needed to think ahead if moving to a faster lane of traffic. I don’t think I can blame that on the engine but probably the tranny. I mean 8 gears will slow down the shifting so you have to plan ahead.

Summary. I loved the amount of room it had. It was an upright driving position vs a typical sedan so I liked that. The brakes grabbed but right now I drive an F150 so maybe they are normal? I hate the rotating shifting knob. Hate it on my wife’s Jeep. Hate it here too. Hate, hate, hate!
Sorry you hate you knobs so much. Maybe over time it will get better.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
Once you use your knob enough it will fell good to your hand.

Last edited:

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
Escape redid trim levels with the redesigned 4.5G 2023. I have the previous 4G 2022.

Active is one of the new trim levels.

Escape | Build & Price | Shop.ford.com

Sliding rear seat is great. 6 inches of travel. My '22 has it. Adds a lot of legroom.

I like the shift wheel a lot. The new shift knob plus deleting the parking brake handle I had on my 3G 2014 Escape cleans up the interior a lot. Much better interior compared to my '14, which felt very claustrophobic when I got in it after a 1.400-mile trip in my '22.

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL

BodieBronco

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport 2023
I thought the knob was odd at first and that I would miss having the stick to rest my handand to put things on ad around, but now I love that knob! just spin it one way or the other to drive or park. It's ended up feeling more fun No idea exactly why, surprised me.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I thought the knob was odd at first and that I would miss having the stick to rest my handand to put things on ad around, but now I love that knob! just spin it one way or the other to drive or park. It's ended up feeling more fun No idea exactly why, surprised me.
You don't even need to spin it to park; just push the off button and the car shifts to park automatically. You can even watch the little knob turn itself. Magic!
Sponsored