Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 BS
Hi All

Starting to do some trails and the planner in me runs all likely oh shit scenarios in my head.

One is losing all power and having to get towed out by another trail rider.. the 2021 and 2022 have the override cable but it seems that was removed in the 2023s… manual states call a experienced tow operator but that would be unlikely in this scenario.

For CRC said ask my dealer… but thought I would check here also.

Thanks
Lou
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
One is losing all power and having to get towed out by another trail rider.. the 2021 and 2022 have the override cable but it seems that was removed in the 2023s… manual states call a experienced tow operator but that would be unlikely in this scenario.
Unfortunately, there is no way to manually place the transmission into neutral on the 2023 MY cars. You can use the temporary neutral mode (see pg 184), but there are significant limitations. Temporary neutral would be for use during recovery operations, i.e. to get your car unstuck.

The manual says to transport the vehicle you need to get all four wheels off the ground. That'll be problematic if you're too far out in the boonies.

This website aims to connect people who need help off road with people who can provide it. You might get in touch with one of these experts close to where you live to get some ideas.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Unfortunately, there is no way to manually place the transmission into neutral on the 2023 MY cars. You can use the temporary neutral mode (see pg 184), but there are significant limitations. Temporary neutral would be for use during recovery operations, i.e. to get your car unstuck.

The manual says to transport the vehicle you need to get all four wheels off the ground. That'll be problematic if you're too far out in the boonies.

This website aims to connect people who need help off road with people who can provide it. You might get in touch with one of these experts close to where you live to get some ideas.
This is NUTS. How much money could this save Ford???
Thank you Mark, glad I stopped by the forum today. Now if I want another BS, ( and have been thinking about it) I'll have to look for not newer than a 22 someone didn't like.
Thanks again for the info. Another item added to the "removed" list.

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Thank you Mark, glad I stopped by today. Now if I want another BS, ( and have been thinking about it) I'll have to look for not newer than a 22 someone didn't like.
The towing restrictions aren't limited to the 2023 MY. The Owner's Manual proscribes towing for ALL Bronco Sport models unless you can get all four wheels off the ground. The difference with the 2023 is it doesn't have a manual park release. The earlier MY Bronco Sports can be taken out of park even if there is no power available to the vehicle. To get 2023 MY vehicles out of park you must have battery power.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
The towing restrictions aren't limited to the 2023 MY. The Owner's Manual proscribes towing for ALL Bronco Sport models unless you can get all four wheels off the ground. The difference with the 2023 is it doesn't have a manual park release. The earlier MY Bronco Sports can be taken out of park even if there is no power available to the vehicle. To get 2023 MY vehicles out of park you must have battery power.
I understand that. My 22 OBX was that way. I know there was no "flat towing" on them, but still if for some reason battery goes dead, it would still be nice to get it out of park to move it around yourself.
I also understand today Ford is in a cut cost where you can, and truth be know very few would actually use or need the "release" that was on the 21/22's.

OP
OP

LBinWNC

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY23 BS
I actually have to check mine since it state in the manual if equipped…

Either way it is kinda dumb for a vehicle meant to be on a trail not to be able to be towed at least to pavement.

Honestly, I think the manual is worded the way it so people don’t flat tow for distance. In an emergency all bets are off because I doubt we can order a chopper to lift the Sport out of the forest or Ford needs mobile techs 😉

Robink

Big Bend
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
Thank you Mark, glad I stopped by the forum today. Now if I want another BS, ( and have been thinking about it) I'll have to look for not newer than a 22 someone didn't like.
I have to say I'm becoming more and more happy mine is a 2021.

Robink

Big Bend
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport

I spend A LOT of time out in the desert and the most concerning thing about it is if something happened how the hell am I going to get it out of my car there. I wish they would make these less complicated!!

Robink

Big Bend
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco sport
I spend A LOT of time out in the desert and the most concerning thing about it is if something happened how the hell am I going to get it out of my car there. I wish they would make these less complicated!!
Spell check darn. How am I going to get my car out of the there!!

Barry S.

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
This question is based on zero knowledge of the subject. Could the transmission be moved out of Park with jumper cables or my portable battery charger attached?

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
This question is based on zero knowledge of the subject. Could the transmission be moved out of Park with jumper cables or my portable battery charger attached?
Battery needs to have juice .
Ford Bronco Sport 2023 emergency neutral procedure ?? IMG_1220

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
On a different vehicle with a dead battery, we were able to start and drive the vehicle a couple of miles by jumping it with a 20 AH jumpstart battery. It wasn't quite enough to get it to the shop, so we had to install a different battery to get it there.

Akmcomeaux

Big Bend
First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
The emergency release didn’t work today on my 2021 that had to be towed. The parking brake wouldn’t release.

Wazzat

Outer Banks
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport

Still trying to figure out why the wife and I got one of these in the glove box of each of our 2023 OB’s

Ford Bronco Sport 2023 emergency neutral procedure ?? IMG_0200
Sponsored