2022 Sport auto start stop opt out?

Leenaya

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I would normally say that ford would never allow a vehicle to be less expensive then it had to be, but the F-150 forum has an article that says you can opt out of the start stop feature on a f150 to get a 50 dollar credit and possibly faster delivery of your truck.

I think that's an excellent idea that can be applied to the sport as well. I have never had a car with the start stop thing, but popular opinion says its as annoying as a nest of hornets in your mailbox. Rather than buy an eliminator i had to install to bypass stop start i would rather get cash off for never installing it in the first place.

Ford says mileage will be worse without it, but in a badlands that is already a brick it can't make that much difference to mpg.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
When my Bronco Sport Outer Banks "finally" arrives, it will by my 4th vehicle equipped with the Auto Start/Stop feature. I honestly don't even notice it as the whole system is seamless when activated.
On the few times (like when it's extremely HOT outside) I have used the option to hit the "turn off Auto/Start" button. The number of vehicles sitting in Drive-Thru lanes waiting to be served at a Glacial Pace and wasting fuel and emitting pollution is mind blowing, IMO. For $50.00 I think the system is worth every penny. Of course when full electric vehicles become the norm, this will be a moot point and that day is coming sooner than most people realize.

Last edited by a moderator:

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
When my Bronco Sport Outer Banks "finally" arrives, it will by my 4th vehicle equipped with the Auto Start/Stop feature. I honestly don't even notice it as the whole system is seamless when activated.
On the few times (like when it's extremely HOT outside) I have used the option to hit the "turn off Auto/Start" button. The number of vehicles sitting in Drive-Thru lanes waiting to be served at a Glacial Pace and wasting fuel and emitting pollution is mind blowing, IMO. For $50.00 I think the system is worth every penny. Of course when full electric vehicles become the norm, this will be a moot point and that day is coming sooner than most people realize.
I'm personally concerned with the excessive wear and tear on the battery system and starter motor. Long term I'm not sold this is a good thing as much as a PR/EPA DEAL

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I'm personally concerned with the excessive wear and tear on the battery system and starter motor. Long term I'm not sold this is a good thing as much as a PR/EPA DEAL
The Starter motor & battery in vehicles equipped with the Auto Start/Stop feature are beefed up, call it heavy-duty for lack of a better term.
My brother-in-law works at a Ford Dealership and he says he's honestly never seen an issue with longevity of either the battery or starter. There are millions of vehicles all around the world with these systems as "standard" equipment on late model vehicles, so if this truly was an issue, we all would have heard about it by now IMO.

Blynne

Badlands
First Name
Bridget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Mustang GT, 21 Escape, 22 BS Badlands
Our Escape has that and we always just turn it off when we get in the car. It would be nice to opt out of.

ImdaJesus

Big Bend
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The Starter motor & battery in vehicles equipped with the Auto Start/Stop feature are beefed up, call it heavy-duty for lack of a better term.
My brother-in-law works at a Ford Dealership and he says he's honestly never seen an issue with longevity of either the battery or starter. There are millions of vehicles all around the world with these systems as "standard" equipment on late model vehicles, so if this truly was an issue, we all would have heard about it by now IMO.
What about when the engine stops long enough for the oil to kinda settle that have it start back up again? Do you know any kinda wear and tear on that. Thats my main concern.

bluesoftail

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ford is offering this opt out because it eliminates several chips. Ford is also discussing going back to car keys as push butting start takes several chips as well.

Flash

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I hit the start button, move my hand 4 inches up and to the right and press the on/off button and it turns off.

Drives me nuts when it's on and like others I'm concerned about the battery/starter life.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Ford is offering this opt out because it eliminates several chips. Ford is also discussing going back to car keys as push butting start takes several chips as well.
The irony, GM has already done this and Ford said it was not. Times have changed and maybe they see the longer play. The key part, I'm in. Even from a security issue I feel it's better. But the argument they want to steal it they gonna steal it is valid.

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
My husband hates the Auto stop/start. And he is in the 'wears on the starter/battery' camp. I don't even notice it anymore.

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I hit the start button, move my hand 4 inches up and to the right and press the on/off button and it turns off.

Drives me nuts when it's on and like others I'm concerned about the battery/starter life.
There’s nothing to be concerned about folks, the technology is tried, true and tested. Have any of you seen or read or heard anything about starter, battery issues because of Auto Start/Stop technology? No, I didn’t think so. If it was an actual issue, it would be all over the internet. And, as I referenced in my earlier post, this will be a moot point very soon as electric vehicles are going to be the norm, very very soon! Here in Canada, our Government has annouced that by 2030, 9 short years from now, ALL vehicles sold will have to be electric/fuel cell etc. Gasoline engines are going by the way of the Dodo Bird!

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My husband hates the Auto stop/start. And he is in the 'wears on the starter/battery' camp. I don't even notice it anymore.
Nadine, you are correct, nothing to see here, it’s a non event . Use it and save fuel and help decrease pollution or turn the switch off!

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Gasoline engines are going by the way of the Dodo Bird!
Or Aleutian Canada Goose I guess?

We'll see about that. Regime change might shake things up here.

Blizzard35

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Or Aleutian Canada Goose I guess?

We'll see about that. Regime change might shake things up here.
Nope, not gonna happen. the rest of the world is moving on, the major Auto Manufacturers are all moving to Electric, Europe, Canada, India, Brazil have all announced the end of the internal combustion engine within 10 years.

SM05

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands, 2021 RAV4 TRD Offroad
Nope, not gonna happen. the rest of the world is moving on, the major Auto Manufacturers are all moving to Electric, Europe, Canada, India, Brazil have all announced the end of the internal combustion engine within 10 years.
I, or anybody else for that matter, don't have a crystal ball so I'm not about to make any timeline predictions. But in the end it's not Europe, or Canada, etc here. That day will come here as well, I'm sure of it. And regime change could make a big difference. I'd personally let the market play it out. People will make a choice with their own wallets instead of the choice being shoved down their throats (think start/stop feature).

Anyways, back on topic - don't like start/stop myself. Will get start/stop eliminator once I take the delivery. If they remove it even better.
Sponsored