Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
There's a place by my house that sells ethanol free gas. It's like California prices but might be worth it to run in mowers and such.
Ya, I mentioned the clear gas alternative. The Clean Air act prevents it from being sold in most major metro areas so I don't have a lot of convenient ways to get it without driving 100 miles. In Oregon, most of it is sold in the coastal towns because people use it in the sand rails and atvs.

Now I'm curious what the going price is today...

P.S. Here's a clear gas map for northern OR...
Ford Bronco Sport 2.0L MPG Fuel Mileage Capture.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

maximumwang

Big Bend
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I'm guessing any crossbars, roof rack, accessories, etc will have a big impacts on fuel economy too.

On another thread, a guy said he noticed a 4mpg loss from having an awning attached to his roof rack.

Rolled up I'm assuming ;)

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Reports I've read say 10 to 11% decrease in gas mileage at highway speeds if just the crossbars are installed!

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Reports I've read say 10 to 11% decrease in gas mileage at highway speeds if just the crossbars are installed!
Depends on the crossbars probably. The OEM ones sit up higher and probably create more drag than those lower on the rails that have more air plowed above them by the windshield.

Bill G

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands, 66 Tiger
Hi all, just got back from a 527 mile trip over a few days in our BSBL. Drove from LA area to Santa Maria, Nipomo, Pismo Beach, Guadalupe, and back. have @9000 on the odo, running crappy CA regular gas, and have the Falken 235's and a Harbor Freight roof rack (BS packed to the "gills" w/(2) occupants.
Trip was mixed, LA Basin traffic, Coast road highway, CA freeways, and lots of back country roads. "On the road" I used cruise control and held her mostly to 55 and 65 depending on road (max speed limits).
Great drive and (since gas was $6.59 per gal. for regular) I was really pleased with:
527.3 miles round trip
26.3 mpg average for entire trip
best mpg of 30.4 (@65 on fwy going over "hills" to San Fernando Valley)

TSBates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
...yeah, I'm getting around 21-22/mpg in my First Edition in every day driving. I did get as high as 26 when I went on interstate for vacation but haven't seen anything close to that since...I' also don't use the STOP/START switch and wish FORD had a way of permanently shutting this thing off like my BMW X3 had. It's a pain in my butt and I am sure over time this constant starting and stopping will cause other issues. Those folks saying they are getting 28-30/mpg---I'm calling BullShit...

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
...yeah, I'm getting around 21-22/mpg in my First Edition in every day driving. I did get as high as 26 when I went on interstate for vacation but haven't seen anything close to that since...I' also don't use the STOP/START switch and wish FORD had a way of permanently shutting this thing off like my BMW X3 had. It's a pain in my butt and I am sure over time this constant starting and stopping will cause other issues. Those folks saying they are getting 28-30/mpg---I'm calling BullShit...
Depending on your environment and driving habits I'd say 21 is realistic. I'm on flat suburban roads with minimal stops even to work and average 24.8. if I do more freeway, again flat US23 /I75 I can get 30 using eco mode and cruise control staying closer to 70-73. Running 78+ it's more in the 27-8 range. Some who are pulling higher numbers simply drive much slower and would catch a few obscene words under my breath as I blow by🤣

TSBates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
WOW! Just read about the OEM crossbars decreasing MPG by 10-11%. I put those on after I took my First edition on a long trip. Haven't gotten anything close to the mileage of that trip since I installed them. might be taking those bad boys off even though they were a pain in my ass to get em on...hard to believe they would make that much difference.

What about "baskets that some people install on their roofs---same effect? The world wonders....

AmazingSieve

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Depending on your environment and driving habits I'd say 21 is realistic. I'm on flat suburban roads with minimal stops even to work and average 24.8. if I do more freeway, again flat US23 /I75 I can get 30 using eco mode and cruise control staying closer to 70-73. Running 78+ it's more in the 27-8 range. Some who are pulling higher numbers simply drive much slower and would catch a few obscene words under my breath as I blow by🤣
Oh my words wouldn’t be under my breath. Im going to go 80 uphill and in a headwind because it’ll get me there slightly faster and I’ll enjoy it damnit.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
WOW! Just read about the OEM crossbars decreasing MPG by 10-11%. I put those on after I took my First edition on a long trip. Haven't gotten anything close to the mileage of that trip since I installed them. might be taking those bad boys off even though they were a pain in my ass to get em on...hard to believe they would make that much difference.

What about "baskets that some people install on their roofs---same effect? The world wonders....
yeah...it's already a brick by design. Any additional elevation or block force will increase drag and reduce miles per gallon. My son ran the data on the standard no crossbars, as I said in another post, he crumpled it up and told me to just enjoy the Sport and don't worry about it. He's an aeronautic/aerospace engineer...I trust his input.

DatWayMon

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
Odometer reads around 7500 miles, about 20% has been highway, the rest around town. I've never reset Trip 1 since I drove the it off the lot last August and have watched the MPG slowly decrease until it finally stabilized a couple of months ago between 22-23mpg. At this very moment it reads 22.3mpg.

For my recent trip from LA to Moab and back (1500 miles) with about 500 additional miles of off-road driving I averaged 26.2mpg.

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I just completed measurement of fuel usage over three-tankfuls for our Sport Badlands. Here's the butcher's bill:

1st refill: 9.4
2nd refill: 12.5
3rd refill: 13
Total fuel used: 34.9
Total miles driven: 899.1

This yields 25.8 miles per gallon for the measurement period. The computer was indicating 27.1 over the same period. The car now has 1200 miles on the ODO, so a large portion of this was during the first 1000 mile break-in period. The manual says mileage should improve after break-in. During this test I refueled exclusively at Sam's Club using premium. Driving conditions were approximately 60/40 highway/city, and I generally keep to the speed limit with cruise control engaged as much as possible.

The dash indication showed a steady decrease (28.5 after the first tank down to 27.1) during the period, which I believe resulted from the concurrent drop in ambient temperature with the coming (well, here now) winter. If true, this would mirror my 2017 Mustang EcoBoost, for which I saw a 2-3 MPG difference between summer and winter.

I believe tracking fuel usage over several tanks like this is the most accurate method. Differences in winds, temperature, and how much weight you're carrying (among other things) can all affect fuel mileage. Additionally, you may get as much as a 1/2 gallon more or less between tanks due to different nozzle flow rates which can cause one nozzle to cut off at a different point than another. Measuring over several tankfuls averages out these differences.

Now that the engine is broken in I plan to continue using premium over the next three tankfuls, then I'll switch to regular for three tankfuls to see if there is any difference. Watch this space.
Just filed up my 1.5 16 gallons and projecting 336 miles for the tank full. On the hunt for a hybrid.
Sponsored