Wabarca2

Badlands
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Forgot the mention the awning....I haven't used it in the wild yet. But, it has legs and tie downs for higher wind conditions like other awning have. However, this one is only 28lbs, which is crazy for a 270 awning, and weight is a big thing for me. It has aluminum case with carbon fiber poles. The mounting brackets are well thought out and adjustable so I can open the rear hatch fully under the awning.
How are you liking the 270 awning? I have been thinking about getting one. Thank you
Sponsored

OP
OP
Chook

Chook

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
How are you liking the 270 awning? I have been thinking about getting one. Thank you
I'm liking it a lot. I think the material is thinner than most of the other 270 awnings out there, but I don't mind. And at 28lbs., I can easily remove the awning by myself and hang it on a couple of hooks I mounted in the garage.

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9785.JPG

the.harold.c

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Thank you SO much for sharing your build. This is the first build that has captured at least 90% of what I’ve been envisioning in my head for mine. I’ve been going back and forth between a RRT (badass rugged or alu-cab lt50) or building out the inside.

FWIW - I had resigned myself to waiting until Goose Gear came out with their park series platform for the BS, but after seeing your build - I don’t see a reason to. You have managed to make perfect use of the existing space!

I would love more details on how you went about designing/ making the sleeping board. (basically, how you went about “leveling” the sleeping area in preparation for the mattress.)

In the latest build - is the sleeping board also the table? or does the table slide under like you mentioned?

I seem to gravitate towards the sleeping section as the first part to figure out - I’d love it if you could share any additional info you can share on that. (Where you sourced the wood, how you secured everything etc.)

This has definitely re-inspired me to get started on mine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chook

Chook

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you SO much for sharing your build. This is the first build that has captured at least 90% of what I’ve been envisioning in my head for mine. I’ve been going back and forth between a RRT (badass rugged or alu-cab lt50) or building out the inside.

FWIW - I had resigned myself to waiting until Goose Gear came out with their park series platform for the BS, but after seeing your build - I don’t see a reason to. You have managed to make perfect use of the existing space!

I would love more details on how you went about designing/ making the sleeping board. (basically, how you went about “leveling” the sleeping area in preparation for the mattress.)

In the latest build - is the sleeping board also the table? or does the table slide under like you mentioned?

I seem to gravitate towards the sleeping section as the first part to figure out - I’d love it if you could share any additional info you can share on that. (Where you sourced the wood, how you secured everything etc.)

This has definitely re-inspired me to get started on mine!
Hi Harold C., thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard that Goose Gear was coming out with something for the Bronco Sport, but to your point, it'll be extra wait, cost some money and ultimately, be unnecessary. I'll take some detailed pictures of everything I did on the inside and will post ASAP. Stand by.....

Thanks!

OP
OP
Chook

Chook

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Harold C., thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard that Goose Gear was coming out with something for the Bronco Sport, but to your point, it'll be extra wait, cost some money and ultimately, be unnecessary. I'll take some detailed pictures of everything I did on the inside and will post ASAP. Stand by.....

Thanks!
Here are some images and explanation Harold C, that might give you a better idea of the setup.
  1. With the passenger seat folded down (the storage container beneath the seat was removed), the seat only sits about an inch above the back deck. I also turned the headrest backwards, which makes is a flat extension, giving a few more inches of support.
  2. The 'sleeping board' is strapped to the seat with a couple of roller-cams to keep it secure. When the board is folded at the hinge, you can put the seat back all the way, which is nice during travel.
  3. Unfolded, the sleeping board extends over the backwards headrest, all the way to the seat.
  4. The sleeping board is made out of 3/4" birch plywood, so that adds 3/4" to the seat height over the back deck.
  5. I made a little table out of 3/4" birch, and with the bag and flanges to hold the legs, it levels out the back deck to match the sleeping board. You could put just about anything flat there, just to fill the height. And, even with the slight difference, once the mattress is in place, you don't really feel it.
  6. Highly recommend the DeepSleep mattress. Amazingly comfortable and warm.
  7. On the other side of the mattress, you need something 9.5" to 10" in height to be able to use the custom shelf I made. You can use the one that came with the Bronco, but you have to find a place for it when you want to sleep in the back. I wanted something I could keep in place, but 'open' when needed. The drawer I purchased was exactly 10" high and supports the hinged shelf.
  8. You can make the shelf as deep as you want, I made mine to match the length of the drawer which is 32". Folded down, it makes a great workspace for my laptop when sitting on the mattress.
  9. On the cargo shelf, I used the factory version as a template. I made the hinge point at 22". This allows some versatility with using WolfPack's or Milwaukee Packout's, or both. And was the minimum room needed for the mattress. One could obviously change/adapt those measurements for any situation.
Hopefully this gives you some things to work with. Let me know if there any other details you want.

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9800
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9801
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9802
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9804
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9805
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9806
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9807
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9808
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9809
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9810
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9811
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9812
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9817
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9818
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9820
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9822
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9823
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9824
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9827
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9828
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9830
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9832
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9833
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9834
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9835
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9836
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9837
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9838
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9840

the.harold.c

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Here are some images and explanation Harold C, that might give you a better idea of the setup.
This is simply amazing, and incredibly generous!!!

(and is exactly what I needed!)

Please DM me your venmo or PayPal address if you have one. 👍🏼👊🏼

OP
OP
Chook

Chook

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is simply amazing, and incredibly generous!!!

(and is exactly what I needed!)

Please DM me your venmo or PayPal address if you have one. 👍🏼👊🏼
Good morning Harold C,

That's very kind of you, but unnecessary, Brother. Just keep us posted if you end up building something. Also, if you end up wanting to make the rear cargo shelf, let me know and I'll take a couple more photos and share a few things I've learned.

-Chris

the.harold.c

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Good morning Harold C,

That's very kind of you, but unnecessary, Brother. Just keep us posted if you end up building something. Also, if you end up wanting to make the rear cargo shelf, let me know and I'll take a couple more photos and share a few things I've learned.

-Chris
#solid
👍🏼👊🏼

gatornek

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport; 2016 Mustang 2.3
  1. With the passenger seat folded down (the storage container beneath the seat was removed), the seat only sits about an inch above the back deck. I also turned the headrest backwards, which makes is a flat extension, giving a few more inches of support.
  2. The 'sleeping board' is strapped to the seat with a couple of roller-cams to keep it secure. When the board is folded at the hinge, you can put the seat back all the way, which is nice during travel.
  3. Unfolded, the sleeping board extends over the backwards headrest, all the way to the seat.
  4. The sleeping board is made out of 3/4" birch plywood, so that adds 3/4" to the seat height over the back deck.
  5. I made a little table out of 3/4" birch, and with the bag and flanges to hold the legs, it levels out the back deck to match the sleeping board. You could put just about anything flat there, just to fill the height. And, even with the slight difference, once the mattress is in place, you don't really feel it.
  6. Highly recommend the DeepSleep mattress. Amazingly comfortable and warm.
  7. On the other side of the mattress, you need something 9.5" to 10" in height to be able to use the custom shelf I made. You can use the one that came with the Bronco, but you have to find a place for it when you want to sleep in the back. I wanted something I could keep in place, but 'open' when needed. The drawer I purchased was exactly 10" high and supports the hinged shelf.
  8. You can make the shelf as deep as you want, I made mine to match the length of the drawer which is 32". Folded down, it makes a great workspace for my laptop when sitting on the mattress.
  9. On the cargo shelf, I used the factory version as a template. I made the hinge point at 22". This allows some versatility with using WolfPack's or Milwaukee Packout's, or both. And was the minimum room needed for the mattress. One could obviously change/adapt those measurements for any situation.
Hopefully this gives you some things to work with. Let me know if there any other details you want.

Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9800
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9801
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9802
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9804
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9805
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9806
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9807
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9808
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9809
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9810
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9811
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9812
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9817
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9818
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9820
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9822
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9823
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9824
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9827
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9828
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9830
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9832
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9833
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9834
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9835
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9836
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9837
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9838
Ford Bronco Sport My Badlands Bronco Sport "Overland" Setup v1.0 IMG_9840
This is pretty awesome! Great job!!

OP
OP
Chook

Chook

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good morning, All!

Well, I went ahead and ordered a new, full size Bronco Big Bend! I always wanted the bigger Bronco, but at that time, they were way more expensive and the wait time was months into a year or more. So, I'm planning on selling the Sport Badlands with good majority of the kit from this post. There have been new add-on since I posted this thread as well! A proper post in the Market Place will be forthcoming.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: