Oil change (BL) with pics of undercarriage

BroncoSportVA

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Not sure if there's much information for BL. I finally did my first oil change at 7000 miles. The bash plate was a pain to remove because of its heft and needed a socket wrench to remove. I also need to remove 4 torx screws that attached the bash plate to the lower edge of the front bumper. I think the oil filter itself needed a 72 mm Oil Filter Cup-Style Wrench to remove. I didn't have the exact size (I had a 74 mm cup style wrench) but managed by putting a rubber glove to tighten the grip.

I was worried at first that oil from the oil filter might drip onto the plastic bumper, but it didn't (see photo below). I saw a video in youtube that showed the oil drain plug pointing to the back of the car. For the BL, it points to the front.

Ford Bronco Sport Oil change (BL) with pics of undercarriage IMG_20211011_153717596_HDR

Ford Bronco Sport Oil change (BL) with pics of undercarriage IMG_20211011_153738609_HDR
Sponsored

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands, Fiesta ST
Not sure if there's much information for BL. I finally did my first oil change at 7000 miles. The bash plate was a pain to remove because of its heft and needed a socket wrench to remove. I also need to remove 4 torx screws that attached the bash plate to the lower edge of the front bumper. I think the oil filter itself needed a 72 mm Oil Filter Cup-Style Wrench to remove. I didn't have the exact size (I had a 74 mm cup style wrench) but managed by putting a rubber glove to tighten the grip.

I was worried at first that oil from the oil filter might drip onto the plastic bumper, but it didn't (see photo below). I saw a video in youtube that showed the oil drain plug pointing to the back of the car. For the BL, it points to the front.

Ford Bronco Sport Oil change (BL) with pics of undercarriage IMG_20211011_153717596_HDR

Ford Bronco Sport Oil change (BL) with pics of undercarriage IMG_20211011_153738609_HDR
Yeah, changed the oil on my Badlands this week (along with another upgrade project that is still ongoing) and my experience was pretty much the same. While I didn't really find it that hard to remove the plate I was surprised at the heft of the thing. Clearly it isn't cosmetic. ?

The only difference for me is that the 2.0L Badlands uses the same oil filter and oil (5-30 synthetic) as my Fiesta ST so I already had what I needed to change everything out.

One thing that did bother me a little was that it was already showing signs of light rust and corrosion. Given that the other protective plates are painted chassis-black and I had it off anyway, I painted mine ahead of bolting it back on. A little dab of anti-seize on the bolts probably is a good idea as well.

I'll post some pics once I finish up.

Last edited:

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Were you using passivation paint (rust-converting / rust-preventing), or just normal black paint?
Rust Oleum satin black heat-resistant enamel. I've used it as an under-body paint in the past with pretty good results and it's easy to find/inexpensive. Doesn't really need to be gorgeous, but I tend to keep my vehicles and even if I have to paint it again in a few years it should slow the rust way down.

Quick pic (paint is till drying):

Ford Bronco Sport Oil change (BL) with pics of undercarriage 20211014_181215

Idontknow

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cross trek and grand caravan
Thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like a pretty straight forward oil change.​
@MKohlman the black paint looks great on the bash plate. I hope that ends up holding up to getting chipped from rocks and such. I’ll probably try some krylon fusion high heat.​

BSB75

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands CO
Looking to do my first oil change on the Badlands. Just to make sure motorcraft oil filter is fl-910-s NOT fl-910 and 5W-30 5.5 quarts? Thanks!

MKohlman

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to do my first oil change on the Badlands. Just to make sure motorcraft oil filter is fl-910-s NOT fl-910 and 5W-30 5.5 quarts? Thanks!
FL910S and 5W-30 5.5 quarts.

I used a Fram
XG3614 Filter, it will work as well.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Nice helpful post. I have a filter strap wrench. Is there just no space to get it in there? I'm undecided if I prefer vertical mounted filters or horizontal. I'm glad to see and read that it drips clear of the body though. My last vehicle was a GM with the filter right above the frame crossmember. I used to wrap it in aluminum foil just to have a drip shield, or else it went into the holes on the frame!

I am also a little daunted about doing the first change because of the plate. What did you do to get the last bolts out and drop it? A floor jack, or blocks, or? I'm betting it is over 50 and maybe 100lbs?

Any reason you put in high mileage oil?

Painting is an interesting idea, but that may wait for change #2. I hate painting in the winter!

OP
OP
BroncoSportVA

BroncoSportVA

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Nice helpful post. I have a filter strap wrench. Is there just no space to get it in there? I'm undecided if I prefer vertical mounted filters or horizontal. I'm glad to see and read that it drips clear of the body though. My last vehicle was a GM with the filter right above the frame crossmember. I used to wrap it in aluminum foil just to have a drip shield, or else it went into the holes on the frame!

I am also a little daunted about doing the first change because of the plate. What did you do to get the last bolts out and drop it? A floor jack, or blocks, or? I'm betting it is over 50 and maybe 100lbs?

Any reason you put in high mileage oil?

Painting is an interesting idea, but that may wait for change #2. I hate painting in the winter!
I only have the cup-style oil filter wrench (and also felt that there wasn't much space to use strap wrench).

It wasn't pretty when I took the bash plate out, but it worked. I just loosened all the bolts simultaneously, and for the final release, I used my knee to prop it up while lying on a under-car roller. Don't think it's much heavier than 50 lbs - it was just awkward.

The high mileage oil was because I had leftover from my previous car that I sold. That's the problem of buying things from COSTCO - we tend to buy too much. I think MPG suffered a little...

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
I only have the cup-style oil filter wrench (and also felt that there wasn't much space to use strap wrench).

It wasn't pretty when I took the bash plate out, but it worked. I just loosened all the bolts simultaneously, and for the final release, I used my knee to prop it up while lying on a under-car roller. Don't think it's much heavier than 50 lbs - it was just awkward.

The high mileage oil was because I had leftover from my previous car that I sold. That's the problem of buying things from COSTCO - we tend to buy too much. I think MPG suffered a little...
I may have to get a cap wrench if I decide to do my own changes... I won't jack a car to do an oil change though. Too much work and danger for me. I could slide right under my Chevy to work but I think perhaps the Bronco Sport won't offer that luxury. I think if I'm doing it I will try a floor jack to lower the plate or maybe hold it in place to get the bolts clear. I think I also want to put a Fumoto valve on this one so I don't have to deal with the drain plug a second time.

I also had some 5-30 leftover oil too. Fortunately I was able to take 1 unopened case back and I gave the rest away because the oil spec changed from SN to SP before I got the Bronco. It's a mild difference but I'm too chicken to put the older spec in. The SP oil is a whole decade newer development and has a lot of timing chain and startup protections that the SN spec does not have.

Ridn Dirty

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BSBL

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Has anyone tried to fit the FL-400-S? I've got a Badlands coming, but the wife has an Escape with a 2.0L. The manual for her car also calls for the 910-S with 5.5 qts of oil, but I found that the 400-S fits her car just fine. The 910-S and 400-S are exactly the same, except the 400-S is a bit longer. I don't believe it filters any better, but the volume difference allows you to add 6 qts without overfilling the sump. It's a lot easier to just dump in six than trying to measure out a half quart.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4