Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Traction control uses the brakes to slow an over speeding tire that has lost traction,
smooths throttle input by lengthening the amount of gas pedal input needed for a given power increase, think of it as numbing your foot.

You hit a bump,
your foot bounces,
you spin and loose it,
you get stuck,,,, It's that simple sometimes.

Slippery Goat does this also and does It well.
Turning OFF Traction control gives a driver snappier throttle control and can help tremendously but with a rookie driver can cause more of a strain on the drive train..

Low keeps your tranny in a lower gear, 1st IF you stop and start it then, This holds the engine RPM up and takes much strain off the engine and drive system by keeping the engine, "On Pipe".
That's a very old phrase. Lugging an engine is bad news.
My 1.5L turbo starts to spool up at 1700 rpm, My engine feels, "On Pipe" at 1900 and even stronger at 2200 rpm.
Leave sand mode for deep sand,
I use slippery AND low when I crawl up my very steep loose gravel roads. With my 13 to 14 degree angles I climb effortlessly at 5 to 8 mph as I am On pipe with my turbo spooling up some.

Hope that helped, best thing for you to do Is go play a little, go with a skilled driver in another 4x4
so he/she can pull you out of trouble.
4 wheeling is best with friends and an extra vehicle to pull you back out of or on through trouble...

Man can I lay on the bull hockey thick ! LoL

Watch your ground clearance, you have no steel skid plates , you will do damage under there IF your not careful..

Last edited:

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Osco, thank you for the detailed response. I'll give slippery and low a whirl next time I'm hitting the dirt.
On dirt roads... id just let it do its thing the technology is good..... there are a lot of youtube videos thay explain how each mode is different .. and demonstrate traction vontol, the modes, etc on wheel spinners... but almost all demonstrate how well the adaptive intelligence 4wd when left alone.

Reklussloth

Base
First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco sport
Good to know. I'll check some youtube videos out.

I'm not doing or intending to do anything extreme, just having a little fun exploring dirt roads.
I dont even touch it lol. Driven it in all kinds of stuff without ever changing it... my wife drove it out the gate and through our ditch once leaving after a good rain... it isnt. Ahuge ditch but it isnt small either .... when she got back i was asked wth was that about. She replied.. oh, because i could... Ha

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
Traction control uses the brakes to slow an over speeding tire that has lost traction,
smooths throttle input by lengthening the amount of gas pedal input needed for a given power increase, think of it as numbing your foot.

You hit a bump,
your foot bounces,
you spin and loose it,

Turning OFF Traction control gives a driver snappier throttle control and can help tremendously but with a rookie driver can cause more of a strain on the drive train..

Planning on maoi

You hit a bump,
your foot bounces,
you spin and loose it,

Low keeps your tranny in a lower gear, 1st IF you stop and start it then, This holds the engine RPM up and takes much strain off the engine and drive system by keeping the engine, "On Pipe".
That's a very old phrase. Lugging an engine is bad news.
My 1.5L turbo starts to spool up at 1700 rpm, My engine feels, "On Pipe" at 1900 and even stronger at 2200 rpm.
Leave sand mode for deep sand,
I use slippery AND low when I crawl up my very steep loose gravel roads. With my 13 to 14 degree angles I climb effortlessly at 5 to 8 mph as I am On pipe with my turbo spooling up some.

Hope that helped, best thing for you to do Is go play a little, go with a skilled driver in another 4x4
so he/she can pull you out of trouble.
4 wheeling is best with friends and an extra vehicle to pull you back out of or on through trouble...

Man can I lay on the bull hockey thick ! LoL

Watch your ground clearance, you have no steel skid plates , you will do damage under there IF your not careful..
So for doing loose gravel/dirt on level terrain, at speed, would you just keep it in normal, or put into "slippery"? Very untechnical driving, just old ranch roads I don't necessarily want to putter about on.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Civic Si, 1969 Ford Torino GT
So for doing loose gravel/dirt on level terrain, at speed, would you just keep it in normal, or put into "slippery"? Very untechnical driving, just old ranch roads I don't necessarily want to putter about on.

I don't have my BS yet but I drive my 2006 Civic Si without TC on gravel, clay, dirt, and shallow sand with no issue. Honestly, you probably don't *need* any of the modes, it's just to make things easier if you're having a hard time in normal.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Yes and no,,,,
I climb steep loose not so smooth stuff in slippery, not as likely to “Bounce” the throttle.
On level not too terribly loose I’d do normal BUT !!
I’d watch my tach and speed. I want my engine on the turbo and that starts at 1700 rpm.
So,
I’d probably stop, hit the Low button. From a stop that should hold me in 1st. For slow stuff.
If I’m doing 15, 20, 25 OR At speed ! 30,40,50,,, on loose level off road I’d use Sport not low.
If I’m ever not sure what’s best off road but not in deep sand I always go to Sport mode first..
Always..

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Midway through they explain some of the benefits of torque vectoring, traction control logic, etc…

It happens to be for a Badlands / First Edition series (2.0l I4t + Intelligent AWD), but some of the concepts are still valid for the other trim levels (1.5l I3t + FT-4x4).

Rojo13

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, GMC Acadia
Yes and no,,,,
I climb steep loose not so smooth stuff in slippery, not as likely to “Bounce” the throttle.
On level not too terribly loose I’d do normal BUT !!
I’d watch my tach and speed. I want my engine on the turbo and that starts at 1700 rpm.
So,
I’d probably stop, hit the Low button. From a stop that should hold me in 1st. For slow stuff.
If I’m doing 15, 20, 25 OR At speed ! 30,40,50,,, on loose level off road I’d use Sport not low.
If I’m ever not sure what’s best off road but not in deep sand I always go to Sport mode first..
Always..
Great feedback. Thank you!

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
It all depends on the situation & terrain on what you need to switch to . The GOAT modes can be useful in abnormal situations , as is Traction control & the Low setting . Experience will dictate how you use them for the different situations . If just driving on dirt roads & rolling hills , just drive . Going in deep loose Sand or slippery mud or snow , thats all different & the Goat modes & low ,adjusting Traction control may be needed .

As said driving with someone in a BS with experience is a good leaning experience . These BS are not meant for extreme off roading & I don't care what model BS you have , but they can hold their own with an experienced driver .
Sponsored