HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
My OB Bronco Sport did not come with the Rear Camera Washer. So, I decided to add it. If you are like me and want to add the washer, keep reading.

*NOTE* The shroud surrounding the camera will need to be modified (Edit: A part has been located, see bottom of post, but it's mildly expensive) The modification was extremely easy. You just need to make a 12mm x 9mm cutout for the washer jet. (I will show photos of this below)

First: The Parts

Washer Hose:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/windshield-washer-hose-13283663-1#sectionId:324047908
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_123125

Jet:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/jet-13283525-1#sectionId:324047908
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_123141

*NOTE*
The Tailgate Handle Does NOT include the Camera Shroud. This has been confirmed, even though the photo includes it. Do not purchase this expecting the camera shroud to be included. (When Ford contacts me with the part number for the shroud, I will update this to include it)
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/doors/tailgate-handle-13477099-1

Tools Needed for disassembly:
10MM socket/driver
T15 Torx bit
T20 Torx bit
A Soft(plastic) pry tool may come in handy but is not necessary.

To disassemble the the rear hatch is pretty simple.
Start off by removing the handle covers. You can do this with your fingers.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120030

Remove 4 T15 Torx from under the handle covers.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120520

With the hands gently remove the pop clips from the upper section above the window. Note, start with the section closest to the seam where the two halves meet. There are pop clips that face inward that you need to remove first, then work your way around.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_115920
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_115902

Next, close the door and open the glass to remove the inner panel. (I never noticed the mountains until I removed this piece)
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_145333

Next open the hatch again and begin pulling the lower panel off. I suggest starting near the handles and working outward. Just pull down and pop each clip as you go. If any get stuck, you can replace them before reassembly.
You will need to unplug the connector for the tailgate lights before it can be set down. The plug is on the driver side of the panel.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120812

Now comes the not so much fun part. Removing the Tailgate Handle.

First remove 2 10mm nuts from the bolt stems.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120939

Next you need to release the clips holding the Handle to the Hatch. I placed my hand inside the access hole and felt for each clip, pressed it and pushed the Handle out clip by clip. This was a bit tricky, particularly for the lower clips. You may be able to use a soft plastic pry tool, but I did manage to do this with my hands only. You can see the clips on the upper and lower of the Handle below.

I suggest unplugging the buttons and the camera, and disconnecting the cable clips so you can finish the install untethered.
*PRO TIP* Pop the Hatch open with the button before unplugging it.

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120915

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_122421

Next Remove the 2 T20 Torx holding the camera and shroud on. You can see them in the photo above and below.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_122703

To modify the housing. I measured the opening on my 2020 Edge which has the same camera and jet and it was a 12mm x 9mm opening, You will need to notch the bottom to accommodate it.
I used an exacto, small coping saw and a small file.

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143736

Clip the Jet onto the camera and place it into the handle. Then put the Camera shroud back on and install the 2 T20 Torx.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_122834

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143719

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143923

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143929

Set the handle aside and install the hose. The factory hose comes with all the clips you need, just follow around from the top of the hatch where you connect the T all the way around the passenger side to the camera jet.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125430

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125318

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125245

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125249

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125534

Reinstall the Handle slowly and slide the jet hose though the opening seen below
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_144119

Connect the hose to the jet. Then begin to reassemble.

You now have a rear camera washer.

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_144433

Update: The good folks here in the forum were able to find "M1PZ-5843401-AA" includes the handle and the shroud with the cutout. Mind you you'll be paying a lot for this since it comes with the whole handle assembly. Modifying the part by cutting a small notch is very effective and easy enough to do in my opinion.

Good luck!

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_123050
Sponsored

Last edited:

AzWildBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
My OB Bronco Sport did not come with the Rear Camera Washer. So, I decided to add it. If you are like me and want to add the washer, keep reading.

*NOTE* The shroud surrounding the camera will need to be modified (for now). I could not locate the part number necessary for a direct bolt on. I called ford parts and they cannot locate it either. They told me that the current catalog may not be up to date and they submitted a request to locate the part number so it can be ordered. When they contact me with the part number I will update this and add it. For now the modification was extremely easy. You just need to make a 12mm x 9mm cutout for the washer jet. (I will show photos of this below)

First: The Parts

Washer Hose:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/windshield-washer-hose-13283663-1#sectionId:324047908
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_123125

Jet:
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/jet-13283525-1#sectionId:324047908
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_123141

*NOTE*
The Tailgate Handle Does NOT include the Camera Shroud. This has been confirmed, even though the photo includes it. Do not purchase this expecting the camera shroud to be included. (When Ford contacts me with the part number for the shroud, I will update this to include it)
https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/body/doors/tailgate-handle-13477099-1

Tools Needed for disassembly:
10MM socket/driver
T15 Torx bit
T20 Torx bit
A Soft(plastic) pry tool may come in handy but is not necessary.

To disassemble the the rear hatch is pretty simple.
Start off by removing the handle covers. You can do this with your fingers.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120030

Remove 4 T15 Torx from under the handle covers.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120520

With the hands gently remove the pop clips from the upper section above the window. Note, start with the section closest to the seam where the two halves meet. There are pop clips that face inward that you need to remove first, then work your way around.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_115920
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_115902

Next, close the door and open the glass to remove the inner panel. (I never noticed the mountains until I removed this piece)
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_145333

Next open the hatch again and begin pulling the lower panel off. I suggest starting near the handles and working outward. Just pull down and pop each clip as you go. If any get stuck, you can replace them before reassembly.
You will need to unplug the connector for the tailgate lights before it can be set down. The plug is on the driver side of the panel.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120812

Now comes the not so much fun part. Removing the Tailgate Handle.

First remove 2 10mm nuts from the bolt stems.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120939

Next you need to release the clips holding the Handle to the Hatch. I placed my hand inside the access hole and felt for each clip, pressed it and pushed the Handle out clip by clip. This was a bit tricky, particularly for the lower clips. You may be able to use a soft plastic pry tool, but I did manage to do this with my hands only. You can see the clips on the upper and lower of the Handle below.

I suggest unplugging the buttons and the camera, and disconnecting the cable clips so you can finish the install untethered.
*PRO TIP* Pop the Hatch open with the button before unplugging it.

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_120915

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_122421

Next Remove the 2 T20 Torx holding the camera and shroud on. You can see them in the photo above and below.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_122703

Now you need to modify the housing. I measured the opening on my 2020 Edge which has the same camera and jet and it was a 12mm x 9mm opening, You will need to notch the bottom to accommodate it. (Again, this part is currently not showing in the parts catalog, when ford contacts me I will update it with it)
I used an exacto, small coping saw and a small file.
Here is the original part number, but ford parts couldnt even find it in the database.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_123050

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143736

Clip the Jet onto the camera and place it into the handle. Then put the Camera shroud back on and install the 2 T20 Torx.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_122834

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143719

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143923

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_143929

Set the handle aside and install the hose. The factory hose comes with all the clips you need, just follow around from the top of the hatch where you connect the T all the way around the passenger side to the camera jet.
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125430

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125318

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125245

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125249

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_125534

Reinstall the Handle slowly and slide the jet hose though the opening seen below
Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_144119

Connect the hose to the jet. Then begin to reassemble.

You now have a rear camera washer.

Ford Bronco Sport DIY Writeup: Adding Rear Camera Washer to your Bronco Sport 20210730_144433
Appreciate the detail!

OP
OP
HugeGuyTheory

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Well done and I'd guess a moderate mechanical skills process. Keep us posted on the function. What's the estimated cost for parts?
Functions perfectly. It all factory parts. Runs when you run the rear window washer.

From parts.ford.com the hose was $36 and the Jet was $13. The shroud is unknown until ford gets back on the missing part number. Although I can't imagine it costs much. I will update when they get back to me.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Nice work. I think for the money, just notching the piece would be an acceptable solution. How does that cover remove? It looks like it just sets onto three tabs in the photo or is the torx holding it?

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Functions perfectly. It all factory parts. Runs when you run the rear window washer.

From parts.ford.com the hose was $36 and the Jet was $13. The shroud is unknown until ford gets back on the missing part number. Although I can't imagine it costs much. I will update when they get back to me.
Nice! Actually a cheap upgrade. Well done and thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
HugeGuyTheory

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Nice work. I think for the money, just notching the piece would be an acceptable solution. How does that cover remove? It looks like it just sets onto three tabs in the photo or is the torx holding it?
Modifying it was easy, but I'm sure some people might prefer to buy the part once we can locate the part number.
Yes, the two torx hold it through the handle and the camera bracket.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Question: American vs Canadian market trucks - mine (Canadian) came with one on a Big Bend. I have not seen one here without it. I have seen pictures (lots of them!) of the USA market truck, and notice most do not have them. Can anyone confirm this? Seems such a simple thing to offer no matter where you live.

OP
OP
HugeGuyTheory

HugeGuyTheory

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Question: American vs Canadian market trucks - mine (Canadian) came with one on a Big Bend. I have not seen one here without it. I have seen pictures (lots of them!) of the USA market truck, and notice most do not have them. Can anyone confirm this? Seems such a simple thing to offer no matter where you live.
Might be a requirement in Canada. Or Ford simply decided to do it the right way the first time in Canada.

The second round of production for the BS will have have this feature as a standard. Mine unfortunately didn't have it.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Interesting, in eight months of ownership I've never noticed my back up camera view diminished by anything. Mine gets washed when I wash the vehicle but I don't recall ever wanting to clean the camera lense even after wet days with lots of mist on the back window.
I'd bet that mod would be very useful on the front camera.

ChefDank

Badlands
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Interesting, in eight months of ownership I've never noticed my back up camera view diminished by anything. Mine gets washed when I wash the vehicle but I don't recall ever wanting to clean the camera lense even after wet days with lots of mist on the back window.
I'd bet that mod would be very useful on the front camera.
I believe the front camera gets sprayed as well on the BL

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
It's possible that Canada has it on all of the trims from the beginning. In the US they added it to the Big Bend starting on 5/10. Canada also gets the halo day time running lights on base and big bend whereas the US only outer Banks and up gets the halo lights.

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
It's possible that Canada has it on all of the trims from the beginning. In the US they added it to the Big Bend starting on 5/10. Canada also gets the halo day time running lights on base and big bend whereas the US only outer Banks and up gets the halo lights.
Weird.
I am so glad for the washer though - mud, wet gravel, etc gum it up pretty good. I am kind of shocked that only VW has a good back up camera (honest!) - the fact that it is under the VW logo and swings out is genius. It NEVER got dirty and never got stuck, even in ice storms. It seems a no brainer that other companies do that rather than cheap out like they do.

Gonzalo Morandi

Big Bend
First Name
Gonzalo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 1.5
Hi, someone knows if you can add front camera to BS BigBend, I haven't found anything about it. Thank you
Sponsored