FL Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 Raptor, Fusion
Nice interior storage review from Autoblog

2021 Ford Bronco Sport Interior Storage Review | Rolling backpack
Zippered pockets, MOLLE straps, rubber flooring, in-car bike rack ... it's like an REI in here

It's Bronco week here at Autoblog thanks to finally being able to drive the most eagerly anticipated new vehicle of the past two years. If you haven't already read Byron Hurd's Ford Bronco review, do so now, and come on back here for a deep dive inside the Bronco's baby brother.

The 2021 Ford Bronco Sport you see here is an Outer Banks trim, the version that skews a bit more to the luxury end of the spectrum. That's not to say it's luxurious, per se, but it does have snazzy blue leather trim, lots of comfort/convenience equipment, and isn't as hardcore in terms of appearance or off-road equipment as the Badlands above it in the hierarchy.

Although the general feature content and materials quality isn't that different from a Ford Escape, the Bronco Sport really sets it apart from its corporate cousin and other compact crossovers with its many clever storage solutions throughout. Basically, it's like Ford intended the Bronco Sport to be sold in an REI rather than a car dealership. Let's take a look at what you get, keeping in mind that some of this isn't available on all trim levels.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior-seat-back
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" rd-Bronco-Sport-interior-zippered-seat-pocket-open

All trims but the base level get this unique seatback storage. There's a zippered pocket big enough for an iPad and/or a magazine.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior-MOLLE-straps
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" Bronco_Sport_Interior_09

There are MOLLE straps you can clip whatever you want to, such a metal cup or flashlight. I'm honestly not sure how useful the placement of these is, but it sure seems like a neat idea.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior-seat-pocket-empty
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior-seat-pocket

There is a pocket on the side of the front passenger seat that's good for storing a phone.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" Bronco_Sport_Interior_07

The Badlands adds an extra storage bin under the back seat. My Outer Banks did not have this.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-hooks-and-ligh-button
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" Bronco_Sport_interior_122

These clips on either side of the cargo area are another clever storage solution, as they go beyond a simple hook. Unfortunately, the plastic seems quite brittle, and I wonder how long they'd last.

Note the button in the middle there ...

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-tailgate-lightin

The button turns on these two, bright lights intended for a camp site. Now note those two, big, chunky grab handles. Ford thought these would come in handy for hanging things, such as wet clothes or a post-surfing wet suit.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-cargo-area
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-trunk-trim

Since we're back here, the entire cargo area, including the seat back, is covered in a robust rubber material.

And if you're wondering how much will fit back there, check out our Ford Bronco Sport luggage test.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" Bronco_Sport_Interior_11

In customer research, Ford found that outdoor adventurists lamented that their expensive mountain bikes were vulnerable to theft when mounted outside. As such, Ford went out of its way to design the Bronco Sport interior so it could accommodate bikes inside. The stepped safari roof is part of that. An accessory bike rack then seals the deal. Having that rubber floor definitely helps here as well, both in terms of scuffing and cleaning.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-cargo-glass-hatch

To get into the cargo area, you can pop the hatch entirely, or just the glass. This used to be an SUV staple, but sleeker, raked rooflines make them impossible.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-easter-e

This Easter egg explains how the separate pop-up glass might be useful.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-roof-rails

Here are the roof rails. They're big, strong, chunky things that'll make mounting racks very easy. Flush rails, which are becoming increasingly common, require specially sized racks that clamp on to the rails, likely meaning they can only be fitted to one car. Raised rails like these make moving your equipment between different vehicles easier — much as I found when reviewing the Yakima CBX and Grand Tour cargo carriers on an Audi Allroad, BMW X5, Subaru Outback and Subaru Crosstrek.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior

Let's now move up front to small item storage.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior-phone-storage
Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" 2021-Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior-dash-tray

Above left: The Outer Banks has wireless charging, and there's plenty of extra space in here for extra stuff as well. There are also USB-A and USB-C ports, plus a 12V outlet.

Above right: The bin under the Sync 3 touchscreen can hold a phone, too, or whatever you might need closer at hand. The bottom is rubberized, to help prevent whatever from flying out.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" ord-Bronco-Sport-interior-center-console-with-yeti

The cupholders are big enough to hold my sizable Yeti water bottle, and keep it firmly in place. As in other Fords, there's also a little Red Bull-sized middle holder.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" Ford-Bronco-Sport-interior-rear-door-bottle-holder

The Yeti did not fit in the back door bottle holder, and there's minimal storage in it. The front doors are more useful. There are cupholders in the back seat's fold-down center armrest.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Sport interior storage review - "it's like an REI in here" Bronco_Sport_Exterior_18

And finally, there's a bottle opener inside the liftgate jam. Nifty.
Sponsored

GizzardLizard

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
The fact that the Bronco Sport was specifically designed to be able to carry 2 mountain bikes inside is seriously one of the biggest reasons I'm looking to get one. My fiance and I are avid bike riders and I've been looking to upgrade from a sedan to a small SUV partially for bike hauling capability so this is just about perfect. The roof rails are another reason as we also kayak.

I love that someone is making a vehicle specifically made for adventure and off roading in a smaller package without having to step up to a more hardcore (and more expensive) off roader like the big Bronco (as much as I do want one!)

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
I love that someone is making a vehicle specifically made for adventure and off roading in a smaller package without having to step up to a more hardcore (and more expensive) off roader like the big Bronco (as much as I do want one!)
I have an Outer Banks and I love it. We’ve put bicycles in the back and kayaks on top, no problems. And I love the smaller size. It‘s big enough to do many things well without feeling like you’re driving the SUV equivalent of a limousine. IIRC, my OB is 8 inches shorter than a Subaru Forester and 18 inches shorter than the Subaru Outback ?

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I found writeups just like this one on the Ford site's way back in December 2020 when I got mine. I guess people are still just now discovering these baby bronco's.

Blitzkrieg sport

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I tried to put a 29" mountain bike in the back of my wife's sport and it didn't fit. I tried just like the picture shows so not ALL mountain bikes fit. Easiest fix for us was to have a receiver hitch installed and buy a hitch bike rack.
Other than that, I like her sport especially in sport mode. LOL

@5GKennyG

Outer Banks
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I have an Outer Banks and I love it. We’ve put bicycles in the back and kayaks on top, no problems. And I love the smaller size. It‘s big enough to do many things well without feeling like you’re driving the SUV equivalent of a limousine. IIRC, my OB is 8 inches shorter than a Subaru Forester and 18 inches shorter than the Subaru Outback ?
Regarding the two bikes you have in the back cargo, did you buy the inside bike rack from the Broncos accessories catalog? I assume you have to take the front wheel off to make it fit? is it a pain to have to do that?

Last edited:

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Regarding the two bikes you have in the back cargo, did you buy the inside bike rack from the Broncos accessories catalog? I assume you have to take the front wheel off to make it fit? is it a pain to have to do that?
We did not purchase the bike rack. We just take off the front wheels (our bikes have quick releases) and in they go!

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I tried to put a 29" mountain bike in the back of my wife's sport and it didn't fit. I tried just like the picture shows so not ALL mountain bikes fit. Easiest fix for us was to have a receiver hitch installed and buy a hitch bike rack.
Other than that, I like her sport especially in sport mode. LOL
Interesting. Where did the lack of fit occur? I figured once the front tire was off it would not be a problem.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Interesting. Where did the lack of fit occur? I figured once the front tire was off it would not be a problem.
It depends on the size of the bike frame.
Sponsored