tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
"Overpowered," LOL. There are many more appropriate "city" cars for some of these standards -- size, ride, fuel economy, price, etc. But who drives ONLY in the city? Or even primarily? Sure it could have softer riding wheels, tires, suspension, less power, better economy, cheaper price, more luxury -- but then it wouldn't be a Bronco Sport. Seems like a 2WD Escape, or an Econosport might be a better fit. FWIW I did observe a little extra 'disturbance' over road imperfections in the Badlands but, perfectly good ride and handling on the road otherwise. What I'll appreciate and one of my reasons for buying IS how it will handle those potholes and ruts, etc. -- i.e. without bottoming out, breaking front springs, damaging wheels or cutting tires, breaking other things underneath, etc. Roads (and curbs, parking barriers, etc.) around me can be pretty rough.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
"Overpowered," LOL. There are many more appropriate "city" cars for some of these standards -- size, ride, fuel economy, price, etc. But who drives ONLY in the city? Or even primarily? Sure it could have softer riding wheels, tires, suspension, less power, better economy, cheaper price, more luxury -- but then it wouldn't be a Bronco Sport. Seems like a 2WD Escape, or an Econosport might be a better fit. FWIW I did observe a little extra 'disturbance' over road imperfections in the Badlands but, perfectly good ride and handling on the road otherwise. What I'll appreciate and one of my reasons for buying IS how it will handle those potholes and ruts, etc. -- i.e. without bottoming out, breaking front springs, damaging wheels or cutting tires, breaking other things underneath, etc. Roads (and curbs, parking barriers, etc.) around me can be pretty rough.
Definitely agree with the benefits the suspension and tires bring to city driving. Now I'm not worried about messing up a rim by driving over a pothole or bottoming out over a speed bump.

Also...pretty sure everyone would rather have an overpowered car than an underpowered one. Yeah you have the MPG hit but I'll pay a little more at the pump to have that extra power in my back pocket, especially when I'm towing.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
Definitely agree with the benefits the suspension and tires bring to city driving. Now I'm not worried about messing up a rim by driving over a pothole or bottoming out over a speed bump.

Also...pretty sure everyone would rather have an overpowered car than an underpowered one. Yeah you have the MPG hit but I'll pay a little more at the pump to have that extra power in my back pocket, especially when I'm towing.
He drove in sport mode, in below freezing temps and frequently left the car idling with the windows down and he's bitching about MPG?

Ford Bronco Sport City Living with the 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands - Cars.com Srqq

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
I have about 4,000 miles on my FE. Only 500 of those miles were over 40mph. I pretty much exclusively drive in the city. I didn't know that was a rare thing.

Shiskamba

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatch
I have about 4,000 miles on my FE. Only 500 of those miles were over 40mph. I pretty much exclusively drive in the city. I didn't know that was a rare thing.
No delivery yet, but my current vehicle is about 90% city as well. My commute is 4 miles to work, and back. I live along the major arterial that connects into downtown. No interstate for me. Although I do hit about 55 on occasion if traffic stays out of the way well enough.

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
I live in downtown Chicago and my current vehicle sees 90-95% city. Not sure what vehicle he's expecting to soak up road bumps around here. Bouncing around is pretty much unavoidable unless you're talking about something ultra lux. No car with 250 crank hp is overpowered in 2021.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I dont need to tow anything but in a big city, grew up in one, and with 4 to $5 per gallon gas coming. I'd bet sub 20 mpg would be noticed by many.
Once again I'm finding my 1.5L to be plenty of motor.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
I dont need to tow anything but in a big city, grew up in one, and with 4 to $5 per gallon gas coming. I'd bet sub 20 mpg would be noticed by many.
Once again I'm finding my 1.5L to be plenty of motor.
20mpg in the city is easily done in the 2.0L, even if the winter, unless you do what that guy did with mostly using Sport mode and needlessly idling the engine for extended periods of time.

Auto stop/start makes a big difference in the city if you're sitting at stop lights frequently. I know there are some that don't like the auto stop/start feature, but they're not typically griping about MPGs.

Last edited:

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
20mpg in the city is easily done in the 2.0L, even if the winter, unless you do what that guy did with mostly using Sport mode and needlessly idling the engine for extended periods of time.

Auto stop/start makes a big deal in the city if you're sitting at stop lights frequently. I know there are some that don't like the auto stop/start feature, but they're not typically griping about MPGs.
Sport is my only mode unless in slippery and I use my remote start at least twice a day. I've been a constant 21mpg since purchase.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport

Auto stop/start makes a big deal in the city if you're sitting at stop lights frequently. I know there are some that don't like the auto stop/start feature, but they're not typically griping about MPGs.
I found the start-stop feature *very* quick and smooth on the Badlands 2.0L. (It is a strange sensation waiting at a stop and the engine isn't running though.) If you're making reckless LH turns in front of oncoming traffic sure, that's already dangerous anyway. If you drive conservatively, dare I say *defensively*, I just don't see where a complaint with it comes from. It demonstrably saves a not insignificant amount on fuel cost (and pollution, whether it matters to anyone or not) and no, it is not going to wear out your starter, etc. And it's easy to avoid in Sport mode, or just by switching it off on startup, nbd.

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I found the start-stop feature *very* quick and smooth on the Badlands 2.0L. (It is a strange sensation waiting at a stop and the engine isn't running though.) If you're making reckless LH turns in front of oncoming traffic sure, that's already dangerous anyway. If you drive conservatively, dare I say *defensively*, I just don't see where a complaint with it comes from. It demonstrably saves a not insignificant amount on fuel cost (and pollution, whether it matters to anyone or not) and no, it is not going to wear out your starter, etc. And it's easy to avoid in Sport mode, or just by switching it off on startup, nbd.
Coming from a hybrid I was used to the start-stop of the ICE but was worried what it would be like without the electric motor to fill in. I thought I would be turning it off every time I got in the car but it is not that noticeable. I've only turned it off once or twice.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I've learned to Ignore the stop/start system, It bothers me not one bit. I'm just not ever In a city to reap any benefit.
Ford should have built In an OFF option that keeps it off in normal drive mode.
Sponsored