Recirculation Button

TinyCadon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plymouth Volarie
Whenever I hit the recirculation button it lights up & then about 5 minutes later or less it automatically switches itself back to outside air intake. I understand that this happens in some cars when the humidity level starts rising so it pulls in fresh air to avoid fog building up on the windshield. But my issue is that it's bone dry right now & it's only myself inside the car so there really shouldn't be any humidity buildup to cause it to pull in fresh air, does anyone else experience this? I mean, what's the purpose of a recirculation button if it won't stay on recirculation?
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Note: Recirculated air could turn off or be prevented from turning on in all air flow modes except maximum cooling to reduce the risk of the windows fogging up. Note: Recirculated air could turn on and off when you direct air to the instrument panel or footwell air vents during hot weather to improve cooling efficiency.

Owners manual on Page 128

: Recirculated air could turn on and off when you direct air to the instrument panel or footwell air vents during hot weather to improve cooling efficiency.

also page 128

Try It on max air, If Its cold outside that may limit recirculate availability.
On all my previous Fords I'd run recirculate and a lower fan setting to stay on cabin clean air in heavy traffic or dry dusty conditions. I did not like pulling dirt and dust in...
This one was me :p

OP
OP

TinyCadon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Plymouth Volarie
Note: Recirculated air could turn off or be prevented from turning on in all air flow modes except maximum cooling to reduce the risk of the windows fogging up. Note: Recirculated air could turn on and off when you direct air to the instrument panel or footwell air vents during hot weather to improve cooling efficiency.

Owners manual on Page 128

: Recirculated air could turn on and off when you direct air to the instrument panel or footwell air vents during hot weather to improve cooling efficiency.

also page 128

Try It on max air, If Its cold outside that may limit recirculate availability.
On all my previous Fords I'd run recirculate and a lower fan setting to stay on cabin clean air in heavy traffic or dry dusty conditions. I did not like pulling dirt and dust in...
This one was me :p
Ya, sucking in diesel fumes when you're stuck behind a truck kind of defeats the purpose of a recirculation button that turns itself off on you. :explode:

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Whenever I hit the recirculation button it lights up & then about 5 minutes later or less it automatically switches itself back to outside air intake. I understand that this happens in some cars when the humidity level starts rising so it pulls in fresh air to avoid fog building up on the windshield. But my issue is that it's bone dry right now & it's only myself inside the car so there really shouldn't be any humidity buildup to cause it to pull in fresh air, does anyone else experience this? I mean, what's the purpose of a recirculation button if it won't stay on recirculation?
Ugh it turns itself off AUTOMATICALLY ? (without you changing it to defrost or some other setting?)??? WTH? Tht's ANNOYING. Never had a car with auto climate that did that! Weird!
I want it to be ME who decides if I wanna have it on or off... like stated, what if there's a smelly vehicle in front of me??
This is one instance where I wish that we still had the option of a manual climate control even at top trim levels.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Diesel fumes are bad, and so are skunk roadkill. During their mating season, their stinky carcasses tend to be about every 1/2 mile of my 25 mile commute. Ford should have considered that.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Ugh it turns itself off AUTOMATICALLY ? (without you changing it to defrost or some other setting?)??? WTH? Tht's ANNOYING. Never had a car with auto climate that did that! Weird!
I want it to be ME who decides if I wanna have it on or off... like stated, what if there's a smelly vehicle in front of me??
This is one instance where I wish that we still had the option of a manual climate control even at top trim levels.
My recirculate works just fine. Stayed closed. As all my other ford's it will not work with defrost.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
My recirculate works just fine. Stayed closed. As all my other ford's it will not work with defrost.
Huh, the way it should be.
I wonder why @TinyCadon's recirc won't stay lokced. Hopefully it's an isolated event.

Feint

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
This happens to me as well. But I think I'll try the low fan speed trick. I usually run it on Auto all the time, but I've found that the temperature in the car varies wildly on Auto.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
I always thought there is always going to be a minimum of outside fresh air intake no matter what setting you are in . If the cabin was air tight , you would soon be breathing in your own exhaled breath & that is not good for you .

Ours works perfectly on auto setting.

Kratz17

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Anyone tried Forscan for this one? I'm new with Forscan and when I connected last night looking for this, I had no idea what I was looking at😅 so I disconnected without changing anything.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Don't look for this to change any time soon. Driver control of the recirculation mode is yet another victim of money-grubbing, ambulance-chasing lawyers looking for any and all ways to get into deep pockets.

https://www.cmalaw.net/ford-facing-allegations-and-possible-lawsuit-over-suv-leaky.html

Relevant quote:
It is now being purported that the defect is in all Ford Explorer vehicles. The risk is allegedly higher when the air conditioner is in recirculation mode and the vehicle is running in full throttle. Yet there is still a possibility that the exhaust may leak in other situations.
Sponsored