Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
@Cyclone Cowboy how about the new 2021 Ford F-150 Hybrid with a 700 mile range, add a topper and carry the gear in the back?

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a34716469/2021-ford-f-150-hybrid-by-the-numbers/
The problem with high-end, electric pick-ups right now is pricing and charging. Most are going to be over $75k with extended mileage options. The 700 mile batteries will require about 800v to charge overnight. The converters for that much power don't exist yet. Otherwise, a 120v. charger would take days. Not an option for storm chasing. None of these vehicles will be available until 2023 at the soonest.

We are truly between the evolution of electric vehicles and gasoline-based engines. The biggest issue right now is charging. My father designed a battery system about 20 years ago that allows the driver to pull into a "battery station" and exchange a universal battery in seconds. I thought he was nuts. Maybe not.
Sponsored

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
The problem with high-end, electric pick-ups right now is pricing and charging. Most are going to be over $75k with extended mileage options. The 700 mile batteries will require about 800v to charge overnight. The converters for that much power don't exist yet. Otherwise, a 120v. charger would take days. Not an option for storm chasing. None of these vehicles will be available until 2023 at the soonest.

We are truly between the evolution of electric vehicles and gasoline-based engines. The biggest issue right now is charging. My father designed a battery system about 20 years ago that allows the driver to pull into a "battery station" and exchange a universal battery in seconds. I thought he was nuts. Maybe not.
Thats unfortunate, I thought the F-150 gas engine recharged the batteries on the go.

Sparky

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Explorer Sport, 16 VW Beetle Convertible
Thats unfortunate, I thought the F-150 gas engine recharged the batteries on the go.
The F150 is a hybrid not a plug-in hybrid, so it can't be plugged in. The biggest downfall is you could almost buy 2 Bronco Sports for the same money.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The F150 is a hybrid not a plug-in hybrid, so it can't be plugged in. The biggest downfall is you could almost buy 2 Bronco Sports for the same money.
You can get the hybrid on a supercrew XL 4x2 for $44k or around $47k for 4x4. There’s always a ton on incentives on f150’s too. I’d imagine you could get the supercrew xl 4x4 for right around $40k which is about the same price as a loaded badlands. The plugs in the bed will also be handy if you have any gear that needs electricity.

there’s also a full electric f150 coming out soon too.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
The article says it only gets 24 mpg. This is the same as the Explorer ST.
My wife’s 2017 Explorer claimed 23 MPG. We were laughing today that her average is 17 and when I drove it on an interstate the other day with my lead foot doing 79, I only managed 21 MPG. The 23 number is a Ford engineer’s dream!

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
The secret here is to find a vehicle for the next 3-4 years and the Bronco fits that bill right now, barring any deal breakers, which is unlikely, but I'm a calculating individual. I believe in 2-4 years, we will see a 4x4 capable of 30+ mpg (or electric) that will have everything I need. Ford should call me and I'll help design it, and I swear it won't be the 'Homer' Simpson car.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
The secret here is to find a vehicle for the next 3-4 years and the Bronco fits that bill right now, barring any deal breakers, which is unlikely, but I'm a calculating individual. I believe in 2-4 years, we will see a 4x4 capable of 30+ mpg (or electric) that will have everything I need. Ford should call me and I'll help design it, and I swear it won't be the 'Homer' Simpson car.

This vehicle is to be used for your job, correct? Don't you want to buy a vehicle with >6000 lb GVWR such that you can write off the cost in your taxes? I would imagine that some 4dr Broncos meet this 6000 lb GVWR. Certainly a 4WD truck would, but a Bronco Sport would not.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I use the miles deduction since I drive it for personal use. I cannot afford two vehicles.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I use the miles deduction since I drive it for personal use. I cannot afford two vehicles.
You can still use a work vehicle for personal use, it just has to be >50% work and prorated as such. Of course, I don't know your situation.

I was wrong about the weight though, a 4 dr Bronco would not fly. The 6000 lb weight is vehicle weight, not GVWR. Nevertheless, there is a significant difference in the amount you can write off for a standard weight vehicle vs. a vehicle >6000 lbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
The current system we have works and is the best according to our CPA, but thanks.
Sponsored